Carpet question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Schuyler, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I bought two 6x8 rugs at Home Depot to make an 8x12 meeting space. I plan on putting the carpet on an already carpeted floor. I want to do this to define the space. Have any of you ever done this? I just want to make sure it won't seem odd.

Also, do I need to ask the principal before I do this? I wasn't sure if the school would have an issue with me bringing in carpet (kids tripping, etc.). TIA!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

I knew a teacher who put his down with duct tape but it was really ugly and peeled up.... don't do that!

Put some of those rubber runners under the rug to hold it in place. Also, see if you can position shelves directly around it, so that the carpet won't shift as much.

I saw on a home design show that someone sewed two rugs together with fishing twine. It would at least keep the two rugs from sliding apart. You would need a big upholstory needle.

4. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

Thanks for the feedback. Will it look strange to put carpet on top of an already carpeted area?

5. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Nope, it shouldn't look strange at all. It will probaly look really nice if the rugs are colorful and the regular carpet is bland. Every classroom in our building is carpeted and lots of teachers have area rugs to define a meeting area.

I'm curious, how much were the rugs at Home Depot? I'm looking for one about the same size as yours.

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

That is how I do it.

I have a carpet for the reading corner and for the calendar area. There is a carpet underneath.

It looks just fine! They really don't move and the kids have never tripped.

7. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

You might want to be sure it isn't against the fire code...some places are really weird about any outside textiles like rugs and upholstered furniture.

Also, YOU are probably the one that needs to be the most careful about tripping on the rug. I had 2 colleagues get hurt enough to warrant ER trips due to falls caused by their rugs.

8. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the feedback LuvTchng - the rugs were $22 each. They also had larger ones (9x12) for $74. I liked the smaller ones because they came in a nice dark blue and seemed pretty durable.

9. Mrs.N

Mrs.N Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I went to Lowe's yesterday and got two really good size carpet for my living room table and it was on sale for 10 bucks each, yes 10 dollars (was 50 before). They are soooooo perfect for a classroom. :)

10. TeacherMelissa

TeacherMelissa Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I tried this one year, but I bought really cheap rugs and the kids had a great time picking them apart. :) It really did help define the area though.

11. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

Turn over your rugs and duct tape them together! I run a couple of pieces down the seam and then some horizontal to that all the way down.

12. dust bunny

dust bunny Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I really like to use centers in my classroom. This year I think I am going to have around 30 students, so I have had to be creative in setting up the classroom so that I can have center areas. I used 2 Home Depot carpets, one reddish and one green, to define 2 center areas in 2 corners. I do have very bland wall to wall carpet so the area carpets add color to the room and look good.

13. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I bought carpet tape the other day at Target. It goes under the carpet so it won't move.