Carpet for the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Giggles, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 20, 2013

Oh my goodness! I never realized how expensive classroom carpets are until I went searching for one the other evening. :eek:

As much as I'd love to have a "classroom" rug in my classroom, I just can't justify spending that money right now. What do you use as a classroom rug?

I'm just looking for something about 8x11 which would be great as a meeting area for all students. I plan on using the carpet area quite a bit.

Thanks for the help!

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 20, 2013

You can find cheap small carpets at Walmart, Big Lots, stores like that.

They are a lot cheaper than the classroom carpets you'll see for sale in supply catalogues. :)

4. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jun 20, 2013

Maybe check some thrift stores and yard sales?

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2013

Try Donors Choose. My school supplies carpets. But mine is so old and disgusting if they don't get me a new one next year I'll ask for one on Donors Choose.

6. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jun 20, 2013

Check with the principal first. Some districts require fire retardant carpets. If not, don't spend a fortune. My old one was peed on and thrown up on on more than one occasion. The flea invasion was the end of that poor carpet.
    Call a local carpet store and see if they will donate:)

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2013

Go to a carpet store or hardware store and look at their remnant carpet. I once got a carpet remnant big enough for my entire bedroom from Home Depot for $12.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 20, 2013

Ikea!! :)

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 21, 2013

I've bought several from Walmart & Sams Club... Home Depot & Lowe's also have inexpensive rugs - you might have to "tape" (with carpet tape) two small rugs together, but it works! The closest Idea to me is 3.5 hours. I actually looked there this summer, and they didn't have anything I wanted. If you don't live close to one, shipping can be murder. You could also check Amazon.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 21, 2013

I had to toss mine this year because it got so dirty and started to unravel. When I get around to replacing it, I am seriously considering those rubber interlocking pads. You know the ones you see in playrooms? It seems fairly reasonable, not to mention cleaner (we had a lice infestation about 4 times this year...luckily, my room was spared)

11. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jun 21, 2013

I like circle carpets at Ikea - helps define space for individual students, and not too expensive :)

12. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 21, 2013

Yep, check out Ikea if you have it in your area. They have some simple rugs for $20. Two of them would likely fill the space you want.

Most teachers above K don't have rugs in this area anymore. There just isn't the space since the class sizes went up to 30.

13. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 21, 2013

Thanks for all of the advice! You all are awesome!

I have been looking on Craigslist daily as I'm sure that something will come up. I had not thought about buying two 8x5 rugs from Walmart and attaching them together. What a great idea!

I would LOVE to purchase a rug from Ikea, but unfortunately the closest one is four hours away. :-(

I have been looking at those rubber interlocking mats, and I think I might go in that direction. However, I'm worried that my students will be so focused on disconnecting the pieces.

If you can't tell yet, at times I can be a very indecisive person... :)

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 21, 2013

I just had this conversation the other day. We lost one of the expensive classroom rugs to bed bugs. We talked about how it is expensive to replace & how we're better off going to Home Depot, Lowe's etc.

Bed, Bath & Beyond has carpets for $50.00, not including the 20% discount.

I'm getting one donated to my room from a person at the main office. :D I'm guessing it's something she had in her home. I don't care, I only have tile floor that doesn't get mopped frequently.

15. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 21, 2013

Those foam playmats that you put together like a puzzle can sometimes have in them. Google it.

My current greige classroom carpet came from a parent donation that found it on clearance somewhere. I think she said she found it in big lots.

In the past I have used outdoor carpets from home depot that cost 15 bucks and are 100% recycled materials. They are thin, but if you duct tape them down they work perfectly. Otherwise the kids will be able to knock it around and the ends become a trip hazard. The school I work in is very eco friendly focused so I put up a cute little poster with a water bottle on it to tell about how our carpet was recycled.

I also saw somewhere on the interwebs where a creative teacher used bath rugs as spots for students to sit instead of having a rug. It would be cute for a polka dot theme.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 21, 2013

I actually purchased the rubber puzzle piece "carpet" squares my first year (purchased at Sam's Club). They were great, as far as (1) being warmer than asbestos tile floors and (2) definitely softer, too!, but were he77 to keep clean! I had a wonderful "sweeper" custodian, who would mop them daily, but they still began to look horrible about mid-year. At my current school, the custodians suck (but everything else is better, go figure :) ), so I don't dare get anything like that.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 22, 2013

I asked for a carpet this year, but I doubt I will get one. I have considered the rubber interlocking mats, but when I student taught we had those and the kids picked at them and they were destroyed by the end of the year. Definitely not a long term solution. It sounds like a carpet remnant would be your best bet.