Carney and Sandoe/Independent Schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, Aug 29, 2015.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 29, 2015

Good morning!

I was wondering if anyone here had experience finding a private school job with Carney and Sandoe. I'd applied on their website two years ago and was rejected due to lack of experience (I had 1.5 years of leave replacement, public school experience at the time).

However I want to give it another try since I have 1) two years of private school experience under my belt now and 2) more means at my disposal to relocate. I already have a Masters degree in my subject area (English) and a standard teacher certification.

I want to apply this September for positions available next August (2016). Independent jobs are posted earlier than public school ones, I think.

So if you have experience with Carney and Sandoe, could you tell me what it was like? How did they arrange interviews? Did you go to any job fairs? Etc, etc, etc.

If you were hired at an independent school, without a placement agency, feel free to comment on your experience too.

Thanks, folks!

For those of you still seeking a job for THIS year (as I've said, I'm staying put for now): I wish you the best of luck. Schools in NJ are still hiring, apparently, and I'm sure it's the same in other parts of the country!

3. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 29, 2015

Hi there, I applied with them years ago. I got an email back saying that I would need to broaden my search scope. I live in NY and am not willing to travel beyond an hour - I have 3 kids.

So in my experience, it didn't help. But I say always use as much resources and tell as many people as you can that you are looking.
    Have you tried NAIS? I got a few interviews from that website and a job offer (which I decline)

good luck

4. physteach

physteach Companion

Aug 29, 2015

Carney Sandoe helped me get a LOT of interviews this year, but none that panned out, which was my own lack of experience because I was switching disciplines. I like them. While in independent, we always did hiring in February/March/April, so keep that in mind. The other openings come in late July and August, due to last minute resignations.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 29, 2015

I applied to Carney Sandoe right after completing my student teaching December 2013 and they gave me a bunch of referrals for jobs, even in states I was not certified in. I would apply to a few of them, never heard back (Probably due to lack of certification in those states) - recently had them suspend my account due to not being able to work.

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 29, 2015

I applied to them but they didn't take me on until I made updates (never got to it). I applied with a similar group called Cal West and only had 3 referrals with no interviews. When I told them how disappointed I was, I was given the same story ("in private schools the hirings for the upcoming school year are typically done by Spring Break" was the standard line).

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 29, 2015

Yeah, I've heard the same thing, psysteach, that independent schools hire from January - March. I definitely want to get my materials to Cardney Sandoe super early because of that! (It's crazy I'm already thinking about 2016, but it is what it is, haha). Thanks for your input everyone.

I've heard of Cal West too. Is it only for California?

And if anyone knows of other placement agencies, don't hesitate to share them with me.

I like my current private school job but I'm ready to move on after this year.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 31, 2015

I used them to obtain both of my teaching jobs. They didn't reject my application straight out of college, but I was looking for a science position, willing to move to a few different states, and wanted elementary or middle school levels. They really did a great job handling my application.

A person does have to be willing to get them the documents they need as soon as possible and make sure those documents are truly your best work. As well as, making sure to promptly follow their directions on what to do next.

For my second position, I didn't know they sent my information to the school until the school called me. So some schools will want to do things privately - reach out to you if they are interested.

9. BioAngel

Aug 31, 2015

I live in New Jersey - the company handles positions in all of the United States, as well as, international positions too.

It's silly - I signed up at the company (it was free at the time) just "because" - never really thinking anything of it. I thought I would have to do the hard work myself, so I'm quite surprised at how using them has helped me.

I signed up around January, got serious about it in February, and had a signed contract by May. I would say most private schools are ready for the school year by August, but I know that some are still hiring if teachers are moving around.

10. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Sep 1, 2015

I signed up!

In the application, I told them I was willing to teach elementary as well as middle school or high school English (I'm certified in both elementary K-6 and K-12 English). I also included that I was willing to relocate to most places in the United States for my first independent school job.

Keep your fingers crossed! I'm going to ask them for feedback/improvements if I get rejected again, haha.

Will also apply to CalWest.

11. BioAngel

Sep 1, 2015

If they reject you, it might be based on them not having enough/any jobs in the subject and location areas that you want to teach. I've talked to teachers before who dislike this company because they were rejected, but they need to understand that they're a company - if they can't help you, at least they don't want to waste your time.

I hope it works out for you though :)