Caring about your students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 18, 2014

I think most on this board know that I really really really care about my students a great deal! And, in turn, I know that everyone on here cares so much for his/her students, too! But how can you tell from your students that they know that we care? A teacher at my school says your students know. But I must be dense because I just can't tell.... Can someone clue me in?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 18, 2014

I teach teens. Some don't know/won't believe it. Some kids think that if you call them out on their bad behavior, you hate them. If you don't allow them to get away with what their parents do, you hate them. If they get a failing grade, you hate them.

The reverse is somewhat true too. Some students think that if they have the highest grade in class, they should be your favorite.

I believe most of my students know that I care about them. I get very genuine smiles and visits after the semester ends and I can't imagine a teenager stopping by a classroom to say hello unless he felt a connection with the teacher.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 18, 2014

Last year I had a particularly difficult student twice a day. He and I went round and round every day over something. I know that it seemed like I was on his case every second.

However, he was the first kid to stop by and tell to me when school started this year. He even hugged me. He makes it a point to wave at me when he sees me.

They just know. In turn, you know.

5. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 18, 2014

Last winter, school was called off early due to snow. When I told the students they all cheered. I then overheard one student say to the others, "We shouldn't be so happy in front of Mrs. Briggs, she is sad when she isn't with us". :)

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 18, 2014

I tell them often. One of my stock phrases has become, "I'm not here just to grade your papers and grumble. I'm here to help you to learn." They seem to believe me after a while.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2014

I teach the little ones. I could talk all day, what shows them I care is the smile, the hug, the going to their games, the high fives in the hallway, stopping former students and just briefly talking about their life, speaking to them on their level. i have time for any student who says hello to me. Even those I haven't taught. I'm huge on building a personal relationship with my students. I give them a glimpse at my life because they are going to share their life with me for 187 days. For example we called my sister for her bday yesterday and my class sang for her. I try to get to know about my kids lives. Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, pets.

8. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Oct 18, 2014

actions speak louder than words. Have you ever overheard the kids talk about their other teachers. They know who is teaching and who is not. They know which teachers challenge them and which ones are trying to be their friends. I find that their perspective of teachers is pretty accurate and reflects what we observe of our peers.

Bottom line, if you are doing your job as a teacher, the kids will know it. Their feedback may not be as frequent or obvious as some may like. But being a good teacher is best possible way to show them that you care.and it sounds like you do that.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 18, 2014

Completely agreed on all points.

If you just focus on caring about them and helping them learn, they will eventually get it, even if they don't right away. Even when (or especially when) you hold them accountable for their actions they understand that you're doing what's best for them for the most part. And even if they don't, what does it matter? You still care for them, whether they know it or not. It's not your job to communicate that you care for them and make them believe it. It's to teach them.

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2014

I pretty much see it your way but for some kids it REALLY helps if they actually know or believe you care. For some of those type of kids it is a struggle to even understand it because, sadly, some of them have never been cared for. They only know rejection and negative feedback. So they probably distrust this new thing called acceptance and praise. I swear that many of my little ones need attention and love more than anything else and with that they do much better in school. I think if your believe Maslow's Hierarchy ( had to go way back to college to recount that) it is obvious.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 21, 2014

This is so true and has a direct impact on acheivment and testing.

12. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 21, 2014

:wub: Precious :wub:

13. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Oct 22, 2014

This was a charming thread to read. :) I should visit a-z more often. I just get so distracted with other stuff that I forget to come here. You all sound like wonderful teachers, and if you're ever in upstate new york, I'd love to get a cup of coffee