Caribbean?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Mar 29, 2008.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2008

Any favorite islands? resorts? family friendly all-inclusives? Planning a double graduation vacation for my boys...

3. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 29, 2008

Oh fun.. I hope someone will plan a fun graduation for me in Dec.

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 29, 2008

I'm interested to hear the responses! I'm going on a cruise in July. We're stopping in Nassau, St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 29, 2008

Tobago is wonderful. I loved Barbados too!

6. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Mar 30, 2008

I stayed at the Coral Hamaca all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic a few years ago. It was absolutely beautiful, and there were plenty of things to do for all ages. It's my pick for families.

I've also been fortunate enough to travel to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Bahamas, Belize, Acapulco, and Costa Maya. Each place was gorgeous in its own right but my favorite would have to be the British Virgin Island Tortola. It was so peaceful and serene. Definately more of a relaxing vacation though, not much to do at night.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 30, 2008

Cancun is wonderful, but not during spring break time. We climbed Chitza Itsa (sp?) and it was HOT! But so worth it. If your boys are old enough they'd love it!!

Jamica was kinda scary for me.

Cosumel is delightfully beautiful.

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 30, 2008

I loved Puerto Rico. When we went last year, we stayed at Rio Grande. We rented a condo that was beachfront. We were about a mile or so from the Rain Forest. It's a gorgeous site. Though, I haven't been but I hear Rincon is even better. You get to see lots of whales & I believe is where surfers especially professionals like to go surfing. Lots of good food, drinks, fun.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 30, 2008

I have never been but my father and his wife love St. Thomas.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2008

Turks & Caicos (sp?). My friend went for her honeymoon and loved it.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2008

My first cruise was to Ensanada, but then I've cruised to the Bahamas & the Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, & Mazatlan). I've been to Maui, Oahu, Las Vegas, Florida, New York, & a few other states.

I liked every place I've been & I'd go to all of them again. But, there's so many more places I'd like to go!

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 30, 2008

I went to St. Thomas and didn't care for it. I love Bermuda, it is one of my favorite places and only 2 hrs from NJ.
    Aruba is another favorite - very windy but it didnt bother me.
    I have been the Cayman Islands - pricey b/c they dont have the same currency. Also been to the Bahamas, nice but didn't love it.
    I went to Cancun in college and had a lot of fun. My aid in school has a time share there, they love it.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 30, 2008

I've been to Aruba - loved it
    St. Martin - hated it - garbage everywhere, dead dogs in the street
    Bermuda - very expensive
    British Virgin Islands - Fabulous and would return in a minute. I stayed at a small resort on Mosquito Island, Drake's Anchorage. Only accommodated 20 people.What ever you wanted they did. I don't know if it still exists.
    Puerto Rico - depends on where you go
    Turks - Cocos - very buggy - check season before you go

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 30, 2008

Avoid Jamaica. Unless you stay in the resort owned areas, you have to worry. There are just too many other wonderful places to visit.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2008

I have a friend who lives there but she lives in the country. Most of her siblings live in Kingston and she talks about hearing guns all of the time. Her son's best friend was killed in his kitchen (shot in the head) -- someone in a gun fight ran through the house and shot him in the head as he was running from the front door to the back door :eek:hmy:. It just sounded so unbelievable when my friend told me about it -- like something you will see on a TV show.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 30, 2008

Eleuthera is a lovely island - but kind of quiet. There is a Club Med there, or used to be, anyway. That might be something good for two young guys. You wouldn't have to worry as much.

17. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 31, 2008

I am so sorry to hear of the mishaps for those who said avoid Jamaica but I would choose it 100x over.

Jamaica-land of wood and water and beautiful sunshine.
    If you go to the resorts like Rooms on a Beach, Fisherman Resort, Hedonism, Turtle Towers etc... there are so many other places. Visit the Falls, MArgarittaville, Dolphins Cove, Bob Marley's grave site, to name a few.

I ALWAYS enjoy my time back home even in the tourist resorts.

18. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2008

I just got off a cruise ship yesterday to the Eastern caribbean and loved it. Actually I have been on 6 Caribbean cruises and loved them all. Do not be afriad of Jamacia. I love the place. I haven't been to Kingston but have heard it was bad. Many other beautiful places to go in Jamacia.

If you are looking for a good trip for a senior gaduation a cruise is the way to go. We did that 2 years ago for my son with 5 other families. We had such a great time.