Careful what you wish for!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs.Bran, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

Hi,
    I have been a stay at home mom for the past 9 years, and was dying to get back to teaching. I got hired last Thursday and have been working 12 hour days ever since. I feel like I am going to fall over. :| :| :| The kids are great, and the other members of my staff are awesome, but the stress is unbelieveable. I know it will calm down once I get back in to a routine, but geesh, thank goodness tomorrow is Friday. I don't think I could go for two more days!

How are you guys feeling? Has school started yet?

Cheers!

3. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Did you teach before you stayed home with your kids? I'm a stay at home mom and sub part time. I'm also fully credentialed. I think that staying at home can be just as stressful, but is the stress really that bad? Is going back to work outside of the home stressful and in what way? I would like to know your honest opinion as I maybe walking in your shoes one day.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

Why do you have to work 12 hours a day? Just curious??

5. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I worked for four years during the time I had my kids and I've been home for three. I honestly think both situations carry different levels of stress. I am going to start back to work in two weeks and I can't wait. Of course I realize our lives are about to change big time, but it will be a good change. The fact that I love to teach makes it that much easier. And I'm excited that I won't have to teach multiple subject areas like I did last time.

The hardest part for me working with children was having to bring work home with me (which we all know is a fact of life) and trying to balance that with family time.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2007

I had a friend tell me that going back to work was llike a vacation compared to staying home with the kids. Even though she loved being home with them, it was nice to interact with people who weren't singing Elmo songs all day. :lol:

7. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I taught for four years before I had my kids. This is my first time back after 9 years. The reason I was working so many hours is I was trying to get everything ready for school. I interviewed on Wednesday the ninth, was hired on the tenth and started on the 11th. The kids started on the 15th.

Staying home with kids was stressful, but now I am trying to take care of my family and teach. I know it will get better, the start up is the really hard part.

I also am teaching a 4/5 combo class, so I have two curriculums to plan for. I still have not completely figured out how I am going to manage a combo class, but I am a professional. Right?

This week will not be a whole lot of fun either. My husband is leaving on Monday to go to Las Vegas until Thursday for work, and we have back to school night on Friday. I have a ton of work to do this week.

It will also be fun to get my first paycheck in almost 10 years. Up to now I feel like a volunteer.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2007

And aren't your own kids starting back to school, too, Mrs.Bran? Just remember to set limits at work so you don't burn out early in the year.

9. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Wow, that was a rough start...lots of prepping to pack into a few days before school started. No wonder you are so stressed. You're right, it will definitely get better.

My plan is to arrive to work at least 30 min early and stay an extra hour twice per week so I can try to do all of my planning at work instead of on the weekends.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  10. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 17, 2007

I know what you are going through. I taught for 10 years, took 10 years off to stay home with my kids and am now back in the classroom. It will slow down, but it will take a few weeks to get back into the swing of it. Once you get your routine set, both at home and at school it will go alot better. I have 5 kids and they, so far, have been really good about coming home and getting homework done. It has only been a week (well 4 days for my kids and 3 days in the classroom with kids) of school and I am beat. but I know it will get better and slowly but surely my house won't look like little storms ran through and my classroom will be organized. I am tired, but having a good time being back in the classroom after all of these years.

11. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Hi Lesley,
    Sounds like we are two peas in a pod. Today I left at 3:45, and didn't look back. I have not done my plans for next week, but I have all day Sunday for that.

I am impressed that you have five kids and can teach. I thought I was super-woman working with two. I just need a nice long nap and it will be alright.

12. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

School doesnt start for me until after Labor Day but I am scared to death. I was in my classroom a couple of days last week. Once my classroom is set up that will relieve some stress but it's not and it's stressing me out. I get stressed out very easily. I need things organized to a tee. Right now I'm waiting on a lot of stuff to be moved out of my room and moved around my room. Not to mention trying to figure out how my curriculum is going to go and yada yada. Ahh! haha I hate feeling this way.

13. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Carebear,
    I am feeling ya! Best wiches for the first day of school. I wish I had a couple more weeks before school started!

14. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

I went back to teaching after being home for 12 years. It is VERY tiring at first-just trying to be on someone else's schedule instead of the comfy one at home! I also worked way too many hours last year just trying to be a great teacher. It is very hard to come home and then have a whole evening shift waiting with dinner, kids, homework and whatever you brought home yourself. Keeping the house clean....wellllllllllllllllllll-that one went by the wayside. I am hoping this year will be much better!

15. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

For all those moms that stayed home to raise a family and then back to work in the classroom, I applaud you for that. I pretty much have been a stay at home mom for two years to raise three kids and now that I have one child in school all day, I have a little more time to myself. I'm subbing part time, but realize that I took too long to clear my credential, so now I have to hit the books again.

I know that I'm not in your shoes of FT teaching just yet, but you all made me realize that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that it is possible to balance family and work. You can do it! Teachers are used to multitasking aren't they?

Have a great day at work. I know I will!:2up: