Careers aside from ones in education?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Boba, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Boba

Boba Companion

Nov 29, 2015

I'm just wondering, for those that either took a break from education, quit education, or are waiting for jobs in education (teaching, subbing, teacher assistants, Sunday School, etc.) what did you do for $ after? I'm starting to think I should have had backup plans when I was in college and have doubled my majors. I feel so limited with career opportunities. I went to school to teach and be a school counselor and every job I had ever was working with kids. I've never waited tables, worked at a store, worked in business etc. Did you all just go back to school for something else? I've been told a lot of ex teachers go to working for human resources but when I'e seen entry level jobs in that, they already want years of human resource experience. While I like school counseling, I'm starting to think education is not a forever career for me. I've worked at schools for 10 years (TA, sub, teacher, counselor) and I want to keep my options open for other things but I don't know what options I have aside from going back to school. I just finished an online certificate program for nutrition. It's basically nothing special. Probably could get a job at Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, or a vitamin shop, but I don't want to do either of those things lol.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2015

This topic comes up fairly frequently around here. I bet you could search for past threads for some ideas.

A few of my friends have left teaching, and they've gone into retail, food service, corporate education and training, road construction, and childcare. Many of them have returned to teaching after a few years, realizing that the proverbial grass wasn't necessarily all that much greener.