Career Dilemma - Please advise!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

Hello all,

I have an incredible dilemma on my hands- do I go into administration or not? Here's the situation: I am at a small, rural school that starts out at $22,000/yr. I am in my third year and am a FT bus driver, as well as a coach for Junior high track and JV basketball.

For the past 8 weeks I have been slaving away at my masters online program in Educational Administration. However, I was told today that if I don't pursue the position at our school and remain in the classroom, the difference is only $500/yr. on the pay scale. My fellow colleagues warned me this morning about becoming an administrator, and I'm having serious second thoughts.

I just got engaged too and I want to support a family.

I love being in the classroom. I love coaching. My fiance will move in with me after we get married and could start teaching at this same school next year. She will be 100 miles away from her family and we want to relocate there someday, though.

Is there any way to continue doing what I love while at the same time being able to provide for a family? I am torn.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 23, 2009

Some middle size schools hire asst. principals that coach. Start looking. My dad was at a small school where he was a "teaching principal." He taught a few classes a day (one was coaching middle school) and was principal over half a day. Made principal salary, but was with kids also. I think he was a better principal because he understood that kids behaved different in class.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

My principal teaches 1 or 2 classes per year because he loves being in the classroom. We are a small school and everyone except the secretaries and development director teaches at least 1 class. Maybe that would be a way that you could get into administration but remain in the classroom also.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

Doug, if I were in your position I would go into administration.... and have a long term goal of becoming the highest paid superintendent in the state of Illinois.... I've always aimed high..

Good luck to you.......:)

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 23, 2009

I am also thinking about going into administration. However, I still have some time before I plan on going after that. I hope to teach for at least 10 years first. I think you should go for it, you have already put a lot into it and I am not sure you would have done that if you did not have a passion for it. There will always be naysayers about everything, but only you can decide what is right for you. Good luck.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2009

Do you think you'd enjoy being an administrator? I thought I would enjoy it until I realized that in my district, which is enormous, administrators don't interact with students very much and spend most of their time doing paperwork and handling budget issues. At a smaller school, the job description could be totally different.

How much does it cost to live where you are? Even though $22k doesn't sound like a whole heck of a lot, it can go really far in certain cities. On the other hand, it can be pocket change in a larger, more expensive city. I make more than twice that amount and live frugally, but we still can't put as much into savings as we'd like.

Have you researched the pay scale of the district you're planning to move to? How much will it affect your salary if you have a MA? How much do administrators get paid in that district, should you choose to pursue that path?

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 23, 2009

Get your admin degree while you're young and single.

Believe me, it will be easier to earn an extra degree now, and cheaper, then it will be after you're married with a couple of kids.

You don't have to use the degree right now but you'll have it if and when you need it.

My principal has plenty of stress, but he plays his guitar and sings to the kids as often as he can. He walks the halls and spends more time in conversation with the kids then he does the teachers (they're not fussing about something). At Christmas time he calls 4 classes in a time and sings Christmas songs with them. It's great for the kids and rewarding for him. He also has the opportunity to make a big difference in kid's lives. Being in admin isn't the end of the world and the pay is much better.

Good luck, I know it's hard to make big decisions.
    You don't know what your wants or needs will be in the future.