Career Changers Tribe

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherShelly, Apr 21, 2008.

1. lollipop1129

lollipop1129 Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

Thanks Miss Frizzle!
    I just started applying and I think that I have a unique background however I think that the impersonal online applications see the word ACP and I am being overlooked. I planned environmental ed. camps and got 15 grants for my students! I facilitated team-building and conflict-res. with not only students but faculty in diff. schools. I met with Janet Reno and other politicians to improve our school systems! I even got a national service award signed by Bill Clinton! I am not trying to brag I am just trying to make myself feel better because I haven't gotten one call. I also can't put these things on the online app. and I think I have a lot to offer not only the school but the community as well. Wish me luck because I am kind of down on this teacher career. Everyone says that ACP's have a hard time.

2. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

Where are you in Texas? I am in the DFW area. Have you tried any job fairs? You sound like a real gem if you can just get in front of someone!

Lemon

3. SideshowMag

SideshowMag Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

Scared career changer!

Hello-

I actually got ym teaching credentials and my MEd right after I graduatied college. Then proceeded to not use them! I fell into a career in textbook marketing. Stayed home with my wee ones (now 4 and 2) for a year and a half, and now have a soul sucking job at an ad agency.

Now, I want to teach. I am in a different state now (er, figuratively and literally) and want to teach middle school english rather than the secondary English that I was certified for all those years ago. my package has just been submitted to the state. And I am scared.

Here's the fear: it's not getting back into the classroom, though certainly, I am anxious about that--but that is mostly excitement. I am scared of not getting a job. I don't know the current state of job searching in education. I am afraid that on paper, I am not a good choice, having been out of school for about a million years.

So, just airing out my thoughts.

I've loved reading all of your stories. I don't feel quite so alone, now!

I would like to ask some basic questions:

When do schools tend to do most of their hiring for the next school year?

What is the best way to GET an interview?

Should I prepare some units/lesson plans for interviews?

Uh, well, I suppose most of these are questions for another thread.

Look forward to chatting!

Maggie

4. lollipop1129

lollipop1129 Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

Hey Lemonhead
    I am in the San Antonio area and due to my current job commitments it is hard for me to make most of the job fairs. I am going to one on May 8th and the big one in June. If I could just talk to someone in person to show them my portfolio, resume etc. and talk about my experience I would have a chance. I just need to get them past the ACP part because I think I have experience that they are looking for. I think that you either have the gift for teaching or you don't all of the experience and credentials in the world will not nessecarily make you a good teacher. I am in sales and it is the same in that field as well you have it or you don't.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

Lollipop, you could weave all that stuff into a letter of introduction to attach to an online app. Also, "Other Relevant Experience" is a good section to add to your resume. Goodness knows you have some brilliant relevant experience.

If your ACP is truly an issue, put it at the bottom of your resume. It's a shame for the schools not to see you.

Lemon, I feel so similar to you. We'd be IRL friends if we lived near, I think.

SideshowMag, I understand your fear, but honestly you have plenty to offer. The best way to get an interview (IMO) is to meet someone face to face who either is the hiring person or knows the hiring person. Doors open when this happens. Here's a marketing tip: contact every person you know - EVERYONE - and let them know you're looking to get into teaching, and do they have any advice or contacts that might help you. People truly love being helpful in this way, so don't worry you're imposing. Someone will have that connection and share it with you. Start a paper log indicating who you contacted and if/when they got back to you. You'll find this really works :)

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

I think so too TeacherShelly :)

7. SideshowMag

SideshowMag Rookie

Apr 30, 2008

Thank you, Teacher Shelley. EXCELLENT idea. I do know a few teachers here in town. But I LOVE the idea of calling anyone and everyone. Ya just never know who may have an inside track.

8. dko415

dko415 Rookie

Apr 30, 2008

I am just retiring after 20 years in the Navy. Actually burning all my unused leave and won't officially be retired until 1 August. I started thinking about what I wanted to do for a second career. I really wanted to do something that was rewarding and would have a positive impact on the lives of others. Teaching seemed like a perfect fit. I finished my degree and completed a Masters in Education while I was on active duty.

My last duty station was in the Denver area. We really wanted to stay here. I was registered with Troops to Teachers and they notified about a special hire in advance program a local district had for high needs areas. They gave me a letter of intent to hire me once I retired to teach Special Education. They have an alternative program where you can work while attending a course of study at a local college that results in a certification after 2 years. It sounded like a great fit, because I really wanted to work in a high needs school.

Now that I am wrapping up my first career I am starting to look for which school I will be working at. I had an interview with a principal last week and it went really well. I am hoping it works out because it seems like a great fit. I should hear something in the next week.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2008

dko-Thank you for your years of service in our military!

10. baris1

baris1 New Member

May 1, 2008

Hello all,
    I have a human services background, having worked many years in HR as a trainer. My goal in life has always been to teach, but after volunteering in schools here and hearing how much trouble teachers were having with students discipline and passing the state tests for their credential, how they weren't prepared in school; I decided to take a non-traditional route. I completed a human services degree (because I wanted the counseling experience) and did internships at two schools. After all those years helping seniors, I now want to help students in South L.A. So with a bit of luck I'm hoping that others will see my desire to help and my ability to teach.

11. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

May 1, 2008

Fellow Career Changer

Hi everyone! I'm so happy to see so many career changers from different walks of life. It's nice to know I'm not alone. :wub:

I got my degree in Psychology and went straight into law school. I had always loved the idea of being a teacher but my family always encouraged me to be a doctor or lawyer or something else that would involve working a billion hours. After my first year of law school I decided to take a leave of absence to find out if I wanted to do that because I really was not enjoying it at all. I went and became temporarily certified to teach K-6 and taught 3rd grade for a year. After that I went back to law school because I was going to lose my scholarship if I didn't.

Here I am completing my second year of law school and I'm formally withdrawing after this semester. This year only served to assure me that I was much happier as a teacher. I was so grueling and exhausting but I was PASSIONATE about it! I wanted to go to work and was so happy with my kids. In the legal field, I feel out of place and unsatisfied. :( Its difficult to explain to my family because they see it as - why would I want to stress myself out with a bunch of kids and no pay. But I seriously CAN NOT imagine myself as a lawyer.

I haven't told my family yet and they will probably freak out on me but oh well. It's just so hard doing something that people don't really back you up on even though YOU know it's for the best. That's why I love coming here. I love reading the posts about fellow teachers that love what they do.

Thank you soooooo much for letting me vent. Good luck to everyone that is in the same boat as me in trying to find a job. :D

12. kathyrain

kathyrain Rookie

May 1, 2008

Kris
    You sound like a natural teacher....the kind I'd want my kids to have. Best wishes to you (and others here) on pursuing your goals. I am still unsure of mine. Kathy

13. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

May 1, 2008

Thank you Kathy, Good luck to you as well. :love:

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 1, 2008

Kris, you know you might be JUST what your family needs. Someone will probably see what you're doing and that will be what they need to follow THEIR heart. Imagine - before you there was no example to follow other than pleasing other people. Brava!

DKO, thank you for your service to the country. I'm glad you've found a worthy second career - you sound like a natural.