Career Changer- the dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gkis, Feb 5, 2016.

1. gkis

gkis Rookie

Feb 5, 2016

Hi,

I got my Math K-12 certification in NJ last year, late summer. I am a career changer with more than 15 years in data analysis...I got my first interview in August last year and it was pretty successful...I turned it down. Instead I began teaching Math for the local community college's evening GED program. I'm doing great, students love my Math class and email me how they don't hate the subject for the 1st time in their lives. My supervisor is very happy as well and gave me a wonderful recommendation....So, I know I want to teach....and here comes my dilemma.

I'm a Mom and have a financial responsibility to my kids, I can't overlook. So as I prepare once again to make a decision to go in full force into finding a full time teaching job, I'm also facing 20-25K of a pay cut...

Would any of you share some ways a teacher could make up some of those $$$. I guess I can tutor, I know districts have home school instructors, also summer school comes to mind- but will I be allowed to go for home school instructor and summer school the 1st year?

I know it's silly to ask you to reassure me to go after my dream, but I guess I just need some ideas so I'm not that scared of the financial impact.

Thank you!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2016

Do you really get paid enough as an instructor at a community college that you'd be taking a $25k pay cut to be a K-12 teacher? This surprises me.

In any event, I have been able to make a fair amount of extra money as a teacher by selling my prep. This means that I agree to take on an additional class in place of what would be my planning period. I've also gotten paid for sponsoring clubs.

4. gkis

gkis Rookie

Feb 5, 2016

Oh no, I still work full time during the day as analyst :) I will probably continue my evening classes regardless.
    Did not know about the prepping period option - thank you

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2016

It may or may not be an option in your future district. It is a pretty common practice in my district, where there is a hefty shortage of qualified teachers.

gkis likes this.
  6. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 5, 2016

I did Homebound instruction when I worked as an aide. My current school does not offer it as a paid option. At my current school I'm doing after school care once a week. I also tutored over the summer. I've heard of selling preps too but not at any school where I've taught.

gkis likes this.
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2016

Oh, I forgot to add that this year I'm working at a school with an extended day. Teachers at my school work about an hour longer than our teacher contract stipulates, so we are paid for that time. It amounts to several thousand dollars per year.

Also, in my current position, I have "add-on days", which means that my annual contract is 10 days longer than a typical teacher's contract. These days are meant for me to do additional work specifically related to my position. These additional days add another few thousand onto my annual salary.

My point is that there are often on-site options available for teachers who want to make additional money. Selling tickets or concessions at sporting events, running the holiday performance, organizing family nights--these things often come with hourly rates of pay attached to them. It's nice to be able to work a few (or more) extra hours and not have to worry about commuting to a different job.

8. gkis

gkis Rookie

Feb 7, 2016

Thank you both again. I feel much better and hopeful :)

MLB711 likes this.