Career Change?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Iris228, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Jan 10, 2008

Hi guys! I am so frustrated looking for a job here in NJ. I graduated with an Elementary Ed/Psych degree. Everyone says I have to pay my dues and I will get something eventually...I just don't know how long I'll have to wait.

I am currently subbing and considering going back to school for a MA to help me in my quest to land a teaching job. Recently I have been considering that I should switch gears altogether. I know that I want to work with children, and I do LOVE teaching but I was thinking I might put those skills to use by getting a MA in school psych. or speech therapy. I don't even know if the job prospects in these fields are any better and if it'd fulfill me the way I think teaching would...I guess I'm just looking for a little friendly advice/opinion.

Thanks for letting me vent....

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2008

Would you consider relocating?

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Jan 14, 2008

I might consider relocating, I know it can be really difficult to get a job here in NJ for many teachers. I'm just a little hesitant to be too far away from my friends and family. Where are they in desperate need of teachers?? All I hear about is how there is a need for teachers, but apparently not for those teaching K-5!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2008

Here in Las Vegas there's always a shortage of good teachers. It's because the district is constantly growing... it's currently the 5th largest district in the country, and they're expecting it to move up that list in a few years.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2008

Maybe you can look at museums and libraries.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 14, 2008

Speech therapy is growing field. Get your MA in it.

8. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Jan 15, 2008

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm still not sure what to do, but I can't make any decisions on taking classes until the summer/fall at the very soonest. I'm really really considering speech therapy or school psych as I am hearing that there should be more jobs opening up in these fields and they seem to combine my love of teaching/children and psychology *my second major* but in a new way.

9. June

June Rookie

Jan 15, 2008

Hi Iris228, I live in CA and have the same complaint. I see school district reps going to the school board complaining about the lack of substitute teachers/regular teachers and aids every week on our government access TV, but I cannot seem to secure even a teacher's assistant position with two college degrees. Apparently, I am either overqualified or not qualified enough - you see, I speak neither Spanish, nor any asian languages. I am sooo frustrated!!! I am beginning to think that it is all about politics - go and complain so you get more funds, go and complain, so you get stricter certification standards, thereby reducing the number of new teachers, thereby increasing the salaries of current teachers...I live in a state of 35million. A little education anyone?