Career Change Thoughts

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by S Dubb, Mar 9, 2012.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Mar 9, 2012

Career Change Thoughts, Looking for Advice

Hi everybody. I'm coming to you with some confusion, some heartache, and a plea for opinions.

This is my fifth year teaching elementary school. I love my job when I'm able to do it. I enjoy interacting with kids all day and helping them grow as learners. What I do not love, however, are some of the demands of teaching--mainly, the constant demands and micro-managing from administration, the amount of time the job takes on my nights and weekends, and the pressures from state testing. Yes, yes, I know those are all a part of the job and I can handle them just fine (I have done so for the past four-and-a-half years), but I'm starting to get very tired of them all--especially the administration part.

I've wanted to be a teacher since I was in first grade, but I'm starting to wonder what else might be out there for someone like me.

I'm not really in a position to pay to go back to school (nor do I really want to if at all possible). I'm pretty tech savvy, and I'd like to think I'm a creative person. I'm just wondering if there are jobs out there that could incorporate technology with teaching, but without being in the classroom.

For example, of all the worksheets and graphic organizers that my kids use throughout the year, I'd say I create about 95% of them on my own. I don't mean for this to come across as tooting my own horn, but many other teachers in the building have asked me for copies of lots of my work. If something of mine is in the printer with other papers, people know mine from the rest.

This may be a very misguided question, but are there jobs out there for people to create worksheets and reproducibles to go along with a textbook series? I mean...I assume that companies like Harcourt, Macmillan/McGraw-Hill, and so on have people that make worksheets to go along with their readers, no? What about a company like Scholastic?

Again, I'm just kind of spitballing here, but does anybody have any thoughts on this? Are those kind of jobs out there? Any thoughts or input at all would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm just lost and looking for any kind of direction.

:thanks:

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2012

Yes, I think there are these kinds of jobs out there. A french teacher in our school left for one year to publish a french textbook.
    But I'm not sure how he got this job.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2012

Take a look at educational publishing.

I've done a pretty decent amount of freelance writing for educational publishers and education websites. Not worksheets, but lessons and item writing. You don't HAVE to be a teacher to work on a textbook (which is why I was such a bad fit the one time I worked on a 5th grade math text) but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I don't want it as a full time career-- I love teaching. But there are jobs out there.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2012

There are jobs available for these kinds of things. Definitely look into the big publishers and scholastic. But there are also smaller publishers (teacher created resources and evanmoor). Not sure if those would be easier routes, just something else to consider.

Also look into teachers pay teachers.

6. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Mar 11, 2012

Thank you all so much for the input. It's truly appreciated. I've already looked into some of the places mentioned. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything open near me, but now I know where to look.

Aliceacc, I'm not sure I would want it as a full-time career at this point either. I absolutely love teaching, but as I said, the outside demands are showing stages of getting to me (and that scares me).