Career change- esol

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Switch, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Switch

Switch Rookie

Mar 18, 2015

I'm trying to get a temporary teacher certification in NW Florida. I have a bs in an unrelated field. According to DOE I only need to take subject area test in esl? I am interested in teaching ESOL because both my parents are Colombian and I can relate to their situation and wanting their child to succeed while also retaining their own language at home. Anyway, I spoke to a teacher on special assignment for esol in the district and she suggested I sign up for a esol training 120 hours over the summer and to take the subject exam in esol and another exam in an area that I would like to teach. I just can't believe that's it?
    what can I expect if I do get hired with no prior teaching experience(except teaching yoga and ballroom dance :) any advice from someone who tested into teaching would be appreciated.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2015

You are required to get the ESOL endorsement in Fl. You are correct that one way to do that is to take 120 hours and the exam. The number of hours required for ESOL actually depends upon what level and subject you teach.

Check this website. It will explain the requirements for obtaining certification in Fl.It really is not quite as easy as just taking a subject area exam.

http://www.fldoe.org/teaching/certification

Good luck!

4. Switch

Switch Rookie

Mar 18, 2015

Thank you. I have been all over thiat site and it's not clear at all. You can take subject Area test but only can obtain temp certificate if hired. I'm hoping to teach language arts or english but don't know what level. The tests are not cheap so not sure if I'm approaching this well or throwing money away.

5. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Mar 19, 2015

Go volunteer in a classroom before you take any test. See what each grade level, subject area, or teaching ESOL kids are like. Investigate and see if you really want to teach a specific thing before taking that test. They are expensive! Why spend money to later find out that it is something you don't like doing?

6. Switch

Switch Rookie

Mar 19, 2015

Very good advice, I have volunteered but it's only been as a student's parent- which is a very different thing all together. Yes they are expensive.

7. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Mar 21, 2015

wow, 120 training and an expensive test, that's all! In PA we have to take 18 credits, even 21! That is SOOOO expensive

8. Switch

Switch Rookie

Mar 22, 2015

I'm sorry but how helpful is your response? It actually is expensive when you don't have a job. I always avoid forums since they tend to attract negativity and anonymous shaming. You should consider how your words affect people and before you post consider if it's necessary, or harmful.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2015

If you are wanting to be very frugal, may I suggest calling the state DOE to clarify exactly what you need to do before stumbling blindly through, hoping it is the correct path? I don't know what Florida requires, but I can assure you that if I was serious about pursuing a teaching certificate there I would have everything written out, double checked, and then checked one more time, especially if money is tight.

Now I would like to say that many states do require between 15-21 graduate credits to earn an ESL certificate, so compared to the $12,000-$20,000 it would cost to get your ESL certification in those states, Florida does look tremendously appealing and inexpensive. I did not get the sense of the other person "shaming" you - I believe your response seems a little short tempered. You may be better served by calling your DOE and getting everything directly from their mouth and perspective. They are, after-all, who you need to answer to.

Good luck.

10. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Mar 23, 2015

oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to shame you at all! The other way around, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I do work, as a substitute, considering that ours is family of 4 the money I get are FAR from being enough to go get a degree. And yet, I decided to go and start taking classes to get my ESL cert, even though I have no idea where I'll get the money from or if I'll ever finish my degree. Graduate degree classes are soooo expensive!