Career Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MVB, Dec 15, 2019.

1. MVB

MVB Guest

Dec 15, 2019

Hi. I need some advice. I teach Special Education High School Social Studies. I am also certified Elementary K-6, Special Education K-12 and Social Studies K-12. I have been teaching for the past 7 years (since 2013). I started at a Private School teaching students with Autism and taught all elementary subjects and I Voluntarily left. I went into the Public School System I taught at one district for a year teaching students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders and I was let go due to budget cuts. The next year I worked at another district and I taught the same level and essentially the same group of students. I did amazing on my observations and I was not renewed because I was not a good fit apparently. I was going to leave teaching I tried again. I got a job teaching the same thing High School Special Education Education History for students with disabilities. I taught there for 3 years. I had one more year until tenure a new Superintendent came in and a bunch of people including me were let go even our vice principal lost his job because the principal was moved out of his job and became Vice Principal. I loved it at this place. I got a job this past September and I love teaching, I work in an uncomfortable environment. I plan on leaving there in June. Does anyone have a suggestion on whether I should leave teaching altogether or try another district. My resume is a mess. I have 4 classes left for my masters in Special Education. I love teaching; I just am tired of the politics and the people that attack you for no reason. Last month I realized that I was not happy at all where I was. Even towards the end of last year I felt drained. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thank you everyone!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2019

Public schools can be hard to navigate. Were there fewer politics in the private school? I taught in a private school for about 2 yrs. ( Back when the earth was cooling and dinosaurs roamed freely) There was a pressure to keep kids for the income, but overall, I didn't have to deal w/ any of the political side that happens in public school. The demands were minimum compared to public school too. Maybe I was lucky. IDK The only problem w/it was public paid 2x as much.
    With all of the time and money you have put into it, it is hard to say. Just personally, I'd get out of public education if I could have younger. Would you be interested in starting your own private school? I used to dream of that w/ a friend. ( No admin or politics...)
    With the sped degree, you might be able to get a job w/ Juvey. Those places ( I have just heard) are better to teach at because the kids can be taken out of class and have consequences. I hope you find what you are looking for!

skyline likes this.
  4. MVB

MVB Guest

Dec 15, 2019

There were politics at the private school, my supervisor was my mentor and my principal. Not much freedom or guidance and the pay was very low. I want the pension and the union still. Thank you so much for your help! Why didn't I try this site 7 years ago?

5. skyline

skyline Companion

Dec 16, 2019

Hi MVB, that's a decision that's very personal and should be based on what you know is best for you. It sounds like it depends on if you can find a position at a school that's a good match, and that's hard to know until you spend some time at a school. Personally, I'd apply for teaching positions at other districts and also some jobs outside traditional schools to see what options are available, then make a decision based on the available options at the time.

I've known or heard of people with a teacher education degree get jobs at the local Job and Family Services, the County Board of Developmental Disabilities, as supervisors at the local Head Start organization, and as Human Resource Professionals. I live in a rural area, so there may be other options if you live near a city.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  6. MVB

MVB Guest

Dec 16, 2019

Thank you. I live about an hour from NYC (without traffic). It maybe difficult to get in and out of the city. The commute maybe rough. I really do enjoy the teaching aspect of my job just not the politics that I have no control over. I need to learn that it isn't personal.

Tired Teacher and skyline like this.
  7. skyline

skyline Companion

Dec 16, 2019

I personally could not imagine having a commute like that and know I would try my best to avoid it if possible. I also cannot imagine driving in NYC, but that's just me. It sounds like your heart is in teaching. Hopefully, you'll be able to find a teaching job at a great school.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2019

I think you found the key yourself. It took me too many years to learn that very important life lesson that helped me survive so many yrs in the public school system. Someone is maybe having a hard day, their home life may be in shambles, or their mental health maybe shattered. Then they get snippy w/ others. ( Not personal...just poor coping mechanisms)

I somehow knew right away to stay out of the politics. I will do things like strike, but I don't get involved in who is doing what for how much! :) .
    My dad used to tell me that I needed to grow "thicker skin." Easier said than done. What really helps me is if some1 snips at me, I try to look at it from a compassionate side.
    We don't always know the struggles of our coworkers. Also, for laughs, I sometimes diagnose them. I know the DSM4 inside and out. ( I know it is outdated. lol, but it helps me "blow off" some bad behaviors.)