Career advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by horned_Frog89, Aug 27, 2013.

1. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 27, 2013

I recently graduated from college in December of 2012 with a BBA in Accounting. I've held a tax related job for 8 months now and I'm not too satisfied with my job, or the options I have available with my degree...desks + computer + excel all day is not my idea of a career. It's not fullfilling in anyway to me. Teaching is something I've always wanted to do/try, but at the time, I was led to a business degree by family 'suggestion.' I'm looking into becoming certified so I can teach middle/high school math, or even a business type class (I found business very interesting to learn, but not near as fun to apply).

From my research I see that I have two options: Post Bacc program or an alternative program. I have no classroom experience so I ideally need somthing with student teaching. However, my issue is that I have been on my own financially since I graduated. I don't want to just quite earning income for a year when I have bills to pay (i.e. Student loans). And I especially do not want to add to my debt as I am on an excellent path to have it paid off in 5-6 years.

But from my understanding, it can be hard to earn a position as an alt-cert teacher. There are a few programs that require 30 hours in the classroom with the alt-cert, but I know that in no-way competes with a semester of student teaching.

I'm really confused as what to do. I can always do online/night school and get as much savings put away to support myself during my transition, but the accountant in me does not like that idea.

All I know is that I want to get away from this desk job as soon as possible!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2013

I know that with the teaching market the way it is now that a lot of schools are getting fully certified teachers so they don't really look at alternative certification applicants. However, math is still considered a hard to fill subject area so you might luck out. Even with student teaching, there is a steep learning curve with classroom management, lesson planning, etc.

If you're wanting to get away from the desk ASAP, then the alternative certification route might be the best bet. Good luck!

BTW, my daughter is a TCU fan. :)

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 27, 2013

I completely understand your situation. I also graduated in accounting, worked for two years as an accountant, and realized that I could not sit at a desk crunching numbers all day.

I worked and saved as much as I could and did a post bacc program. I was very fortunate at the time to have my student loans forgiven because I worked in a high need urban district. Unfortunately, this option is no longer offered.

I can't really advise you. Just wanted to say I completely understand how you feel. I know that I definitely made the right choice for myself by switching careers.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

5. smalltowngal

Aug 27, 2013

I think this option is still offered in Texas as long as you work for a Title 1 school for at least 5 years.

6. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 27, 2013

I appreciate all of the advice and understanding. It does make me feel better than someone can at least relate to my frustration in the office.

I am leaning towards doing an alt-cert program that will allow me to try for a job for a semester or two (since most don't require to pay for that portion of program until a job is secured) and if that fails, maybe I'll have enough saved up, or I can get some support for my family during my student teaching time.

I've been reading past posts on here about alt-cert programs and there has been some success so I am slightly hopefull - especially since I'm considering math.

7. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 27, 2013

I don't blame her, it's such a wonderful school! :D

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 27, 2013

I did an alternative cert program but we went to class for 9 months, student taught for 4 months and came out with a certification and a Master's in Educational Leadership. I got many calls for interviews and my cert was not an issue. I think prior work experience can be a benefit ( I worked for ten years in a different field).

9. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 27, 2013

I went to an alt certified program at a community college in Texas and you could choose between getting an internship or doing student teaching.

10. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 28, 2013

Once again, thanks for all the advice. I've been running through my options in my head and doing an alt-cert online is the best option for my situation - mainly, so I can still work full time, and hopefully aquire a position working with a probationary certificate. If not, after a semester or two, I will pursue student teaching and take the bullet of working part time somewhere.

I've seen many, many of my friends with math and science degrees and certificates get jobs within weeks of graduating. I'm not saying it will be as easy for me, but it gives me hope there is still a demand for qualified Math teachers out there.

In the meantime, is there any ways I can get volunteer classroom experience? Maybe tutoring?

11. smalltowngal

Aug 28, 2013

horned~I would go up to schools that are close to you and introduce yourself and tell them that you are looking for some volunteer opportunities and explain your situation and desire to become a teacher. You could also see about working part time with a tutoring company like Sylvan. Good luck!