Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

We need to shove the "critical teacher shortage" somewhere dark. :p

Still bitter!

2. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I fantasize a lot about what I am going to do if I can't find a teaching job. Maybe one of those road crew workers that hold the stop sign....I hear they make good $$$.;)

I had a 2nd interview today with a district and I have just come to the conclusion that I stink at interviewing........but I know I am a great teacher. They should devote an entire college course to interviewing skills since it really all comes down to how well you interview. That coupled with who you know of course.

I am back to being depressed, I can't enjoy my summer because I am to stressed out about finding a job! I'm switching my drink to Jose. Maybe he can give me the secret to finding the teaching job of my dreams. Or maybe the worm has the answers...I'll keep you posted.:D

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2008

I believe if I just relax, I will wake up August 1st and 50 people will call me for an interview or even an offer!

We might as well just sit back and chill.

Well, see you guys later, decided to work for somebody tonight. Sigh!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 9, 2008

Ummm...
    There's a chance I may be dropping my membership to this wonderful group. I'm still waiting on details as well as a formal offer, but I think I may have been given a chance with a really neat charter school.
    Please don't be mad at me if it happens.

5. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Ahhhh...the whiskey and rum

my new best friends...sadly, I will not be able to afford them much longer...

Long story short: out of school for 2 yrs. Non trad student. Family well established..can't move. Love my home district. Did term sub there this year. Hiring for 3 positions. P calls me to interview for 1 job, says I'll be getting called to interview for one of the other positions as well. 1st interview goes well...get a 2nd for the same position..that was Monday....she said I might not find out till the end of next week. I heard their interviewing for the other positions and P never called me to set one up.....what the heck can this mean???? UGH!! The waiting is killing me. Oh...FYI, last year I was passed over twice for different positions. What to do??? I HATE WAITING!!!:woot:

If this doesn't pan out, I don't know what else to do....how long do you stick with a dream before you say it's just not going to happen? NO jobs in this area......life sucks. On the upside, I have 2 healthy children and a wonderful husband. Sad thing is, they get to see me fail.....AGAIN!! :blush:

6. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

Oh, no!:hugs: Not mad, curious about which charter school though.

7. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

:hugs: Wish I could help!

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

You Didn't Fail

You are very lucky to have a great husband and two wonderful children. I am sure they do not feel you are a failure, because through no fault of your own,there are no teaching jobs.The problem is through budget cuts most places have increased class size,eliminated certain positions and thus they have cut back on the number of teaching jobs in each school. Stay with it. Hopefully something will turn up.:unsure:

9. kermy

kermy Companion

Jul 9, 2008

This is a great club! I just posted a bullentin about how depressed I am too. How long did it take some of you to get you 1st teaching job? I just dont want to move to find a job, which might happen if I dont find one this school year. I just feel soo crappy not doing what I planned on doing for the rest of my life! =(

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2008

nah, we won't be...please tell us more. Charter school wanted me to do online assessment. My excuse is internet has been down, system is way too slow. :rolleyes: (well, that is true) Actually, salary was way too low, and it was sp. ed, with way too many kids!

watcha you get??

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2008

To rent or buy, that is the question

Ok, reality is starting to rear it's ugly head folks.

Should I sell my condo and look for an apartment?

If I land a job in Chicago, I have to move anyway. All teachers must live in city. They give you six months, unless it's a job in high demand, then they will waive residency. But in the meantime, I am walking on eggshells in this place, wondering how I will pay bills. Hoping something else major (A/C last month!) doesn't go out on me. Don't like the feeling. :(

I have come to the understanding that suburban jobs pay less. I can't see myself taking a major cut again.

I will still have tax benefits for half year, and up until I sell. I could cut my losses, and sell it at a low cost for a quick sale. That way, I won't be stuck with rent and a mortgage for more than six months. And, I if I could start looking now, since I have nothing else to do!!! :mad:

So, when I get the offer, should I start apartment hunting? And contact a real estate agent and unload this American dream of mine??

12. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 10, 2008

The bad part is that when you have kids that encourage to follow their dreams and really push the need for higher education....and then this. Nice..real nice. I go and get my degree, graduate with honors no less, and still can't find a job 2 years later.....really tough to keep promoting the need for higher education. (Logically I know this is still a necessity, but to a teen and preteen, they are like, "yeah, cuz it's working so well for you Mom"....well, they haven't ever said that, but I wouldn't blame them!)

13. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Trust me...the worm DOES NOT have the answers...stop BEFORE the worm...although by the time you get there he may seem like psychic Slyvia Brown, or Madam Cleo, trust me, he is not! (the voice you hear when you talk to him is actually the voice of one of the many people in the room staring at you wondering out just how long it'll take you to sober up!) Trust me...DO NOT ask the worm....and yes, this is the voice of experience talking!:woot:

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

It really does stink when you follow a dream and you just can't get a break. I feel like my hubby has put his faith in a failure sometimes. I know I'm a good teacher. I proved that last year but yet rejection letter after rejection letter isn't helping. I felt like we were finally getting somewhere last year and them BAM! it's gone.

We want to have kids so bad but with no job for me it just isn't going to happen. We can't make it on his salary. I went back to school and put us 20,000 in the hole because I wanted to teach. Now that the economy is bad everyone wants to teach. I'm hearing about 200 applicants for one position. I keep hearing that now the state wants to cut funding even more. What are they going to do when the kids show back up? Put them in the cafeteria all day and god forbid we raise taxes. I can't wait till October for a job. Mortgage companies sort of like getting paid every month.

It's not easy for any of us because the public think that getting a teaching job is easy. We however know the truth. Now I'll take the worm please :)

15. kermy

kermy Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Why does the worm tempt us so? =)

16. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

You are cracking me up--I really needed that!! :toofunny::rofl:

17. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 11, 2008

Ummm, Mrs. H., did the worm talk to you? And (forgive me) what was his voice like? I have a very active imagination and I either "hear" him with a deep voice and a thick Spanish accent or a very high squeaky voice. Oh my, it's 2:30 AM,

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

ditto! I already had one former co-worker see me at Wal-Mart! "What are you doing here?" :unsure: "Uh, it's summer, you know I am a teacher!" (yeah, right!!)

I would be terrified if somebody in my family found out. I guess I would play it off and say, "Hey, I can use my discount, just your stuff leave it here, and I'll buy it later! :rolleyes:

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

So, now it not a good time to start my drinking habit???

I don't drink, smoke or use drugs, or buy shoes. What is left? Casual sex??? :whistle:

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2008

Compulsive stamp collecting? :lol:

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

I did get two aide jobs after the beginning of the year; one in October, and one in November.

22. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 11, 2008

Check out my update on my thread. I really, really, really need the worm.

23. Ennasus03

Ennasus03 Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Ha, at least you can GET an interview period

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2008

I wish you could all come to this event with me. A lot of wine and food in the sun (not to mention an appearance from Top Chef) would probably do everyone a world of good.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

I get interviews, AND offers, and still waiting

still waiting....
    still waiting....
    still waiting....

Is something supposed to happen in August???

Besides me being out of a car, home and a job??? :help:

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

:hugs:

27. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

Oh, I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta turn in my membership. :( I just got a job offer and am going to sign the papers on Tues. So while I'm happy for me, I can sooooo relate to the problems here!

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

Hey Trinda,

Can I tag along??? I'm just next door in Chicago... :rolleyes:

Maybe they may have something else.

I know, being funny...but sheesh...at this point what will it hurt to try? I did sub in Hammond, IN before....

29. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

Can I come too? Perhaps a long-distance marriage could work. I can bring wine and chocolate.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

And stay on the Chicago Skyway or the 294 and stop by and see me.

I'm not doing nothing.

But getting fat! :eek:

32" waist. Oh no!! When did THAT happen??? :huh:

31. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

Congratulations!!! :2up:

We will miss you though :( Good luck in your upcoming job!!

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

Since the year let out, I have been doing a lot of exercising. It's fun to lift more than the men. Although if you eat only chocolate I'm convinced that is a nutritous and balanaced diet.

33. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 12, 2008

It's definitely balanced as long as there is the same number of pieces in each hand at one time!!

34. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

Thanks Rookie! I'll keep lurking though!:woot:

I believe that chocolate is the perfect food!:rolleyes:
    -a fruit of the cacao tree, so it covers the fruit group
    -to be creamy we add milk, so it covers the dairy group
    -when put into cookies, muffins, etc. it has flour added, so it covers the grain group
    -again, when used in cookies, etc., it has eggs added, so it covers the protein group

:rofl:

35. Ennasus03

Ennasus03 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

hahaha.. I swear b/c I gained weight, no one will hire me.

36. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 13, 2008

go ahead and blame the weight gain....it beats thinking that they don't like you b/c of your teaching style, or lack of experience, or your philosphy, etc. Just know that we'll still luv ya!

37. I.D. Clair

I.D. Clair Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Was he also a coach???

38. I.D. Clair

I.D. Clair Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I had an interview Wednesday and it went really well!
    The principal said she would let me know by Friday.....guess what today is? Sunday- and still no word. Gotta love that professionalism. Guess only the teachers are expected to be the professionals.

I have never been so discouraged about life than I am right now.
    What makes it really tough is I have kids and a husband.
    If I didn't I would go to where the jobs are.
    I'm really wishing I had gone into nursing.........

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

yes, it has been documented, on the news one day...that dark chocolate is good for you!

he he he...

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2008

OMG... me too! I am sitting in front of the computer, and gained 5 pounds in 2 months!!!