Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2008

Back to the city...

I got a call from one of my best friends, a Chicago Public School teacher. She said, "GO TO CPS!" I said, I don't think they will hire me. She said, "GO!." I said, I don't live in Chicago, they will make me move. She said..."Just GO!"

So, I was hanging out here in AtoZ, and I clicked on their website, and sure enough, Chicago Public Schools had a job fair yesterday! I wasn't doing anything!! So I managed to get myself out of the house, and actually went.

I did what she said...brought 30 or so resumes, and just put them in the boxes. (she said bring 50)..well, there are 672 schools in Chicago..

These poor folks were on their knees, in lines wrapped around the building! I thought some of them were proposing to the principals. :eek: I walked between the lines, and dropped my resumes in the boxes for every school that had an opening for Sp Ed, ECH and/or Pre-K! Then, I went back to downtown to the CPS office, and started the paperwork for substitute work.

Today, I checked the webiste, and my application is still there, and I found some more openings.

So, I feel that this is my last hope, because I really didn't want to go back into the city, but I don't have a choice now. The places I have interviewed with have not called me! I don't know what else to do. They must think I have tons of money in the bank, and they will just call me whenever, and expect me to run back there.

I can't wait anymore. And, I learned that the city pays well, and may give me an exception to the residency rule, if I find a sp. ed job!!!

so...I didn't drink...

but now it's Friday night... :whistle:

2. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

Hey, I really enjoy this site! I am looking for a job after 13 years at the same school. I got a new principal (he had been an assistant principal for 2 months an a coach before that-knew someone in central office) and he didn't like me. He wanted someone young and "perky". I loved being a kindergarten teacher for these years, my kids are graduating now! Parents and old students see me but they don't know that I had to resign. I really do not want to teach any thing but K but the jobs are slim. I know God is in control but I just wich He would hurry up! It is killing me not knowing what is going to ....

3. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

PS. My sweet husband made me a drink with orange juice and ? so I guess I can join the group. I do like Malibu and anything that will go with it. I did not used to drink but this last year has made it necessary. I have sent out resumes but to no avail!

4. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jun 28, 2008

Welcome JuneBug!! Sorry to hear about your situation. Didn't you have tenure at the school? Anyhoo, welcome to the club!! And CHEERS:D

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2008

Nice 2 meet you junebug...

that is so odd...I used to hear and see just the opposite..kdg teachers who would stay in position FOREVER!!! I never heard of some principal ditching a good 'seasoned' teacher for somebody who was perky! Perky?! Like a cheerleader...I smell lawsuit...sexual harrassment...age discrimination!!! too early to get me started!!!

You know, a good friend of mine said she is tired of God not answering her. Not to upset the Big Man Upstairs, I told her, he is giving her what she needs - not necessarily what she wants right now, but we must go thru some things to get some things. Not to preach on Saturday, but I am going to keep waiting!

sending out a ton of resumes today. printed list of all schools in Chicago.

btw...I think I got something safer than alcohol...

watching "The Family Guy"

that show is a riot! I can't beleive half the things they say and do!!

It cracks me up so bad, I could get a drink and a smoke after that show.. :lol:

and so far, I do neither!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2008

Well, I've been sending out my resume to teaching and non-teaching jobs. Have one interview nibble, but the job may be more technologically advanced than I can manage. Also started bothering the local publishing company for an editor position. At least my MIL has offered me some bookkeeping work.

The hubby needs to find a new job by the end of the month because he's in the front of the line for layoffs (he turned down a cash cow job because of his bum knees). I'm finding more geology work for him than I am English teaching openings for myself.

We shared a lovely single malt scotch we were given for our anniversary. I feel all nice and toasty, so forgive any typos!

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 1, 2008

oh single malt..........any extra??

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 2, 2008

On a virtual level, plenty. In reality, I'm hoarding it a bit, although I keep helping myself to my husband's stash of grappa... :whistle:

Rats, I've done research on that one school that wants to interview me next week and now I'm really interested in it. Crudbunnies. It's easier to get through without the Tums if you don't care whether you get the job or not.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2008

I got emails from a charter school. They want to call me for phone interview tomorrow! We are on a first name basis...:rolleyes:

Still, what in the world happened to that job I interviewed for ...uh...a month ago?

I am used to rejection, no interest letters, and getting back out there starting over.

But what the h*ll am I supposed to do with these people who say they want to submit my paperwork to their supervisor, make me an offer, and then just leave me...out to dry. Like a sheet on a clothes line...and forget I am there...

sigh... :unsure:

10. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 2, 2008

Just REmember,the interviewing process is a joke,and whether you get the job or not,is not really your fault. There is no way a supervisor can tell if you are a good teacher or not just by interviewing the person. They really need to see them in a classroom over a period of time before they can really evaluate a teacher.My principal hires new teaches each year. Some work out very well,and some are a disaster. They all had the same interview. Keep at it. Hopefully something will turn Up. Good luck To everyone looking for a teaching position.

11. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

Thanks, this place keeps me going! I did have tenure but could not face a tenure hearing. Just thinking about having to confront my former prince. made me shake in my boots. What would I gain anyway, I would still be under him anyway..so. I am pursuing a harassment suit for the way he treated me. No one deserves to treated like he treated me. But enough about that! I am now looking for the best job I have ever had!

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2008

Yes, Yank

the whole world is a stage

and everybody plays a part

they need to give us more auditions, and some parts to play...

maybe then they would see us for who we really are!

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2008

So, really there's no solution. It's basically luck to land an interview. It's so depressing.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 2, 2008

Sing along with me, folks! :whistle::eek:hmy::eek:

I feel lucky!
    Oh so lucky!
    It's so ducky how lucky I feel!

Sorry, Miss Frizzle inspired me there for a minute.

15. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

Thanks for the laugh, catnfiddle... the smilies you used are cracking me up!!! :D I'm feeling anything but lucky, though... :(

I applied for a fourth grade position about three weeks ago and today I received a letter from the principal thanking me for my resume and interest in the school. I guess I should be happy that someone acknowledged me.

July 1 was my "I will have a job by this date" goal date. It's the 2nd and the future isn't looking too bright.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2008

OMG...It's JULY and all I am doing is saying, "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

:|

Guys wish me luck, and pray for me too...

phone interview tomorrow....

17. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

Good luck and best wishes Master PK

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2008

Thanks summerfan...

Happy 4th to everyone...

I think I choked, and even though they wanted me to do online assessment, don't think it's for me. Questions were very technical. None of the stuff I was used in pre-k. They definitely want somebody to focus on increasing test scores. :unsure:

First, salary is really low compared to regular schools! :eek: Second, I would be sp. ed teacher for 30 kids k-2. That is a lot for one person. Too many different ages and ranges of disabilities in one room. That's like teaching 3 grades!!!

I don't know...doesn't sound like something I really want. And for sp. ed, that room has way too many kids!!! How can you expect me to do more for less? :confused:

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2008

:D

20. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 5, 2008

a quart of mint-chocolate-chip on her lap, Zelda waves her spoon as she says

I'm back to handing out resumes and attending interviews because I might have scared off the offer I did have...but was going to revoke my acceptance anyway because the pay would be too low.

stuffs her face with minty-goodness

21. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

Doesn't sound much like rum anymore..... Just wanted to vent and say can I just get a good job already!?!!?!? I am going to drink a beer, but I have NO dessert. Although I really wish that I did. Zelda, send me some of your mint chocolate chip!!!!

PS have only gone to one ice cream place in Ohio so far.... and it was a NEW place that had custard and ice. It fell short of my expectations. Still have to try Jeni's......

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2008

I'm going to try the turnaround schools. That is = "The schools that did not make AYP, and had to fire it's entire staff, so everyone will be new, and it's probably in a very rough neighborhood."

What do I have to lose? It may be a good move for me. :unsure:

"Pass the Couvessier."

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

Just got the mail..no rejection letters today. I'm going to be positive and head off to the $0.01 school supply sale in a little bit

I'm finishing up my coffee so pass the Kahula.

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

Yesterday, I applied for some jobs at places where I have worked before. I wonder if they will remember that I ran out screaming.

Well, I was younger then. :p

Maybe all those administrators have gone, and they destroyed my file. Fat chance, because I just asked for a proof of employment letter not long ago.

Hmmm...what are my chances of coming back and showing them I am ready now?!

25. eCubed

eCubed Companion

Jul 8, 2008

What are the chances that [prospective] employee follow-up calls actually result in landing the job? In my experience so far, it's exactly 0.00%. So what's the point of follow-up calls, then, right?

I'm in... the club, not the job :(! Take care!

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 8, 2008

:lol: That's funny about having worked there before! I doubt they will remember you (or have a picture of you in the office saying DO NOT HIRE THIS WOMAN she stunk 20 years ago). I was thinking of applying to work at a school where I did part of my student teaching. All of the teachers were MEAN and nasty. Especially my cooperating teacher. He was just a cranky old man. He and all of his cronies are retired now. I looked on their website and didn't recongnize any names. I never met anyone from the admin. I thought it would help that I student taught there but nobody would remember me from 10 years ago! :D

27. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I would love to join this club! I can't take it anymore and I have to vent! I've sent out over a hundred resumes to NJ, VA, MD, NC, and FL-this is ridiculous!!! Is there something wrong with me?! I can't even get a fall back job in an office as an admin. asst. or A/P (not that I want too, but I am so poor at this point!). Sorry, just needed to vent already. I am ready to throw my cell phone out the window because I can't stop checking it like some freak to see if by chance I missed a call-I think I may be losing it!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

28. eCubed

eCubed Companion

Jul 8, 2008

That's alright! Join the club that has the subconscious goal of kicking everybody out of it - kicking everybody out of it because we want each other to land teaching jobs!

I, too, watch my phone closely, even past business hours... because one principal DID call at about 6:45 PM one time (that was bad news for me, though :( !). Every time it rings, I get excited/nervous at the same time, only to find out that it's a wrong number or somebody who just wants me over their house. YES, I check my incoming and missed calls list like a maniac! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.

I actually check the mail for any rejection letter... or just for fun, for a BIG package from the school district containing :D:
    • a contract for me to sign
    • a letter of invitation to the orientation program
    • teacher's handbook
    • my schedule (courses I'll teach)
    • list of my students' names
    • forms for me to fill out for obtaining Internet privileges

:D ROTLMAO! And they could also throw in an apartment catalog for that area! This is an awesome wacky club! I can dream all I want!

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

I'd hang out with you so you could vent more, but I gotta run Register 3 at tonight at Wal-Mart. :|

I am convinced that my phone only rings when I am walking out the door, or paying for something, or doing anything important. It will not ring while I am at home doing nothing, unless it's the bill collectors. :unsure:

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

Stop teasing us!!! That is not funny!!! We still believe it is coming!!!!

Along with a stipend check for buying supplies for our classroom!!

And a check for six months to pay off my mortage so I can move to Chicago apt, until I can sell.

Oh, and a direct deposit slip, that promises my first check will be in the bank 9/5/08.

We can dream can't we???

31. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 8, 2008

If we're all dreaming, then I want combat pay for each child who is "challenging" and a bonus each time I'm hit, kicked, bit or spit out.

And I want an additional fee for each time I have to run after a child, change wet pants, and double for vomit.:eek: Make that triple for vomit!

Since I'm dreaming, I want administration to back me completely and send difficult parents packing, a contract for life and a cost of living raise that really reflects the cost of living, and gas mileage reimbursement.

Sorry, feeling a bit bitter tonight!:mad: At least I have a job for the next two weeks, even if it's wrangling severely autistic kiddos!:eek:

32. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 8, 2008

I really feel awful reading these posts,I am sorry for all the heartache that everyone is going through. There are jobs. People leave and retire every year.Math,Science and ELL positions are in demand in NYC.The problem is very few administrators take the time to read resumes and job applications.Most positions today are filled by people who have subbed in the school or have the recommendation of people who work in the school or are known by the principal.Use any contacts you have. Bother the principal at a school you want to teach at. They can only say no.My school in NYC just hired four new teachers,all through teacher recommendations. It is amazing when you realize how difficult teaching really is,that it is so hard to get a job. People go through all the heartache yet never leave.Good Luck. If this is what you want keep trying,don't give up!

33. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I am exactly the same with the mail-although I am not sure what I am looking for either (besides all those wonderful bills!)!!

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only freak addicted to checking the phone! :up:

34. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Hi! What part of NC are you looking at? Where I am from in NC, there are no jobs. NC has had its second budget cut. Schools are losing positions and if someone retires teachers are just moving around. Did you read the news from Cary about the money spent for the governor's family? Unreal! The money spent should and could have been spent for teaching. No...they are cutting back on the reduced class size and moving it back up to 19. More lost positions. There is no shortage of teachers. There is a shortage of teaching positions. I might just move back to my parents and head up to VA.
    Anyway, it is all just so frustrating. I need a serious drink! :unsure:

35. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Well, congrats to you! You got me to take my mind off my misery and actually laugh out loud at your reply-good one!! :lol:

36. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 8, 2008

I only get listings for the eastern part of NC, but there have been plenty of them lately. These are the ones that have been listed in the past couple of days.

2nd Grade Teachers Needed
    Sallie B. Howard School For the Arts
    Wilson, NC

3rd Grade Teacher Positions
    Sallie B. Howard School For the Arts
    Wilson, NC

Energetic 4th Grade Teacher Needed
    Carter Community Charter School
    Durham, NC

5th Grade Teacher Needed
    Carter Community Charter School
    Durham, NC

Early Childhood/Elementary
    Durham Public Schools
    Durham, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Wilmington Preparatory Academy
    Wilmington, NC

Kindergarten
    Edgecombe County Public Schools
    Tarboro, NC

3rd Grade Teacher
    Tarboro, NC

5th Grade Teacher
    Tarboro, NC

K-6 Teacher
    Tarboro, NC

Stokes County Schools
    Danbury, NC

4th Grade
    Wayne County Public Schools
    Goldsboro, NC

2nd Grade
    Goldsboro, NC

5th Grade Teacher
    Goldsboro, NC

Elementary Teachers
    Halifax County
    Halifax, NC

Elementary Teachers
    Franklin County Schools
    Louisburg, NC

Elementary Teachers
    Rowan-Salisbury Schools
    Salisbury, NC

Middle School Math/Science Teacher
    Rowan-Salisbury Schools
    Salisbury, NC

5th Grade Teachers
    KIPP: Gaston College Preparatory
    Gaston, NC

Science (K-5)
    KIPP: Gaston College Preparatory
    Gaston, NC

K-4 Bladen Lakes Primary
    Bladen County School
    Elizabethtown, NC

K-4 Dublin Elementary
    Bladen County School
    Elizabethtown, NC

K-5 Booker T. Washington Primary
    Bladen County School
    Elizabethtown, NC

Early Childhood/Elementary Teacher
    Pender County Schools
    Burgaw, NC

Kindergarten Teacher
    Brevard Academy
    Brevard, NC

5th grade teacher
    The Downtown Middle School
    Winston-Salem, NC

Elementary Teachers K-6
    Gaston County Schools
    Gastonia, NC

Elementary grade teacher
    Alpha Academy
    Fayetteville, NC

5th grade Teacher
    Alpha Academy
    Fayetteville, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Alpha Academy
    Fayetteville, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Alpha Academy
    Fayetteville, NC

Elementary Positions
    Stanly County Schools
    Albemarle, NC

Elementary Teacher K-6
    Sugar Creek Charter School
    Charlotte, NC

Intermediate School Position Grade 4 or 5
    Lexington City Schools
    Lexington, NC

Elementary Positions
    Lexington City Schools
    Lexington, NC

4th Grade Teacher
    Research Triangle Academy/National Heritage Academies
    Durham, NC

Creative Teachers Wanted
    Sandhills Theatre Arts Renaissance School
    Vass, NC

Elementary (K-6)
    Washington County Schools
    Plymouth, NC

Elementary Classroom Teachers
    Charter Day School
    Leland, NC

Third Grade Teacher
    Greensboro Academy
    Greensboro, NC

K-5 Teacher
    Lenoir County Schools
    Kinston, NC

Science Teachers
    Lenoir County Schools
    Kinston, NC

Alamance-Burlington Schools
    Burlington, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Alamance-Burlington Schools
    Burlington, NC

Science Teachers
    Pine Lake Preparatory
    Mooresville, NC

Pitt County Schools
    Greenville, NC

Elementary Teachers
    Tiller School
    Beaufort, NC

Elementary School Teachers
    Swain County
    Bryson City, NC

Elementary
    Kannapolis City Schools
    Kannapolis, NC

Kannapolis City Schools
    Kannapolis, NC

Elementary Position
    Maureen Joy Charter School
    Durham, NC

5th Grade
    Tyrrell County School
    Columbia, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Success Institute Charter
    Statesville, NC

1st grade
    The Learning Center Charter School
    Murphy, NC

The Learning Center Charter School
    Murphy, NC

Clinton City Schools
    Clinton, NC

PreEminent Academy
    Raleigh, NC

Kindergarten, elementary positions
    Carter G. Woodson School of Challenge
    Winston-Salem, NC

2nd Grade Teacher
    Hoke County Schools
    Raeford, NC

Teacher
    Hoke County Schools
    Raeford, NC

K - 6 Elementary Teachers
    Healthy Start Academy
    Durham, NC

Fifth Grade Teaching Position
    Arts Based Elementary School
    Winston-Salem, NC

Kindergarten Teacher
    Arts Based Elementary School
    Winston-Salem, NC

Elementary teachers
    Warren County Schools
    Warrenton, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Northampton County
    Jackson, NC

Recruiting for following positions
    Northampton County
    Jackson, NC

Northampton County
    Jackson, NC

Northampton County
    Jackson, NC

Northampton County
    Jackson, NC

Northampton County
    Jackson, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Northampton County
    Jackson, NC

Northampton County
    Jackson, NC

Elementary positions
    Wake County Public School System
    Cary, NC

Highland Charter Public School
    Gastonia, NC

Guilford Preparatory Academy
    Greensboro, NC

2nd grade classroom teacher
    Hope Elementary Charter School
    Raleigh, NC

5th grade classroom teacher
    Hope Elementary Charter School
    Raleigh, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Carteret County Schools
    Beaufort, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Dillard Academy
    Goldsboro, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Torchlight Academy
    Raleigh, NC

1st Grade
    Torchlight Academy
    Raleigh, NC

5th Grade
    Torchlight Academy
    Raleigh, NC

2nd Grade
    Torchlight Academy
    Raleigh, NC

3rd Grade
    Torchlight Academy
    Raleigh, NC

1st/2nd grade class
    Camelot Academy
    Durham, NC

Kindergarten
    Camelot Academy
    Durham, NC

Elementary Teacher
    Haliwa-Saponi Tribal School
    Hollister, NC

I hope that answers your question.

37. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Where are they?

Yep. I gotta move back home. I am from Northampton County. I also know what kind of areas these are. Thanks for the list. You went to a lot of trouble. But, I am sure your list also helps lots of other teachers.
    As I said, here in western NC, schools are losing positions. Teachers are having to move around. The colleges are still recruiting for their teaching programs. However, teaching is a calling. The perfect situation is out there for each one. It just may take a while to find. Thanks again for the list. When I check the usual sites, there is not a lot of info. So, this is great. Merci beaucoup!

38. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2008

Oh, I am so glad I found this! Even though it's a little after 9AM, do you think I can make my coffee an Irish one? ;)

I keep hearing about the "critical teacher shortage" here in Florida. It must be down in Miami, because I sure can't find a job where I am at! I must have driven 500 miles last month, dropping off resumes. No luck on a phone call.

A side note: I got my first job teaching because I said I'd be willing to run the Newspaper club. Excellent! An extra $1000/year! I also mentioned how much I enjoyed chaperoning field trips and dances. If you make it sound like you're willing to go 300 extra miles, it might make you more favorable.

Sadly, no calls yet for this year. Sigh.

39. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

"Critical shortage" my foot. If I hear that one more time, I'm going to hit something very hard. Enjoy your "irish coffee."

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2008

yeah, that and termination/reject letters that say...

"Good luck in your future endeavors."

When you see me cleaning off your desk, and sweeping the floor, I am sure you will not recognize me.

I had a part time job doing custodian work in the mall, and my uh..friend refused to acknolwedge me! She looked around, and then looked back at me, "Oh, that is you, isn't it?!" :huh:

Those are the only endeavors I am looking at about now...