Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 24, 2009

More wine for me, more rum and coke for you. This is turning out to be a beautiful relationship... :lol:

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2009

:lol:

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 25, 2009

why can't we have both? rum and wine.

I think I've found the real-life inspiration for Deliverance. The scary part they live within 5 miles of my house.

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

Bumping this thread back up...

Oh, that is scary.

Anyway, I am going to temporarily submit my resignation to this club. I interviewed for a first grade position last week and found out today that I was offered the position. The only downside is that, while I'm the new teacher for the classroom, the district is only paying me as a LTS. It's better than what I'm making now, but it truly does suck to put in all the time and work for a fraction of the pay and no benefits. I'm highly doubtful this will lead to anything for next year as this district is talking about eliminating quite a few teaching positions.

The nerves have set in BIG TIME... I feel like I'm going to be sick. :unsure: I feel like I don't know where to start or what to do, and am scared that I'm not going to receive a whole lot of support!! :( We'll see. I tutor first-graders, but I've never taught any grade below second. I also don't have any teaching materials and have no idea what I'll need to buy (not that I have money to buy anything!!).

Good luck to the rest of you!!! :hugs:

5. smalltowngal

Mar 3, 2009

That's great news, lil!!!! I hope that it exceeds your expectations. I know that it might not lead to a full time position in THIS district, but hopefully it will lead to one in another school or another district.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

Congratulations, lilmisses! I'm sorry that you will only be getting paid LTS rate, but at least you will be getting some teaching experience with another grade.

7. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

YEAH for you:thumb:
    Little Miss Piggy will finally fatten up a bit!!!
    Enjoy the little ones, my friend, I'm sure you will be great.
    Beth

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 4, 2009

Happy Dance for lilmisses1014!!!!

9. smalltowngal

Mar 4, 2009

Hey Beth! We've missed you!

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 4, 2009

:celebrate::celebrate: for lilmisses :)

Enjoy the kids!

11. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

STG, Jessica, Beth, cat, MAT: Thanks so much!! I could cry right now-- you're all so sweet!! :)

BETH-- we've miss you around here!! What's new? Yes, I'm hoping little Miss Piggy will fatten up a bit. :)

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 5, 2009

Ok... this is where I show my hidden not-so-nice side.

Maybe others are feeling this way too - but holding themselves together better than I am...but if I can't rant on THIS thread-where could I???

The economy is bad. Yes. People are losing their jobs. I understand, and I feel for them. But when someone comes from XYZ career land and lands a teaching job QUICKLY when I and so many qualified others (here and irl) have been struggling to get even a nibble... ok, that when my smile starts to crack.

I find it hard to say, "Oh golly, good for YOU, you teacher you! Zingo!! How HAPPY I am that YOU got that job!"

Ok... yup, it's not nice. As my father's wife would say... I'm on the pity potty. But ... You know, it really stings.

13. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

McKenna, I'm with you babe! I'm glad for them, especially in this horrible economy, but I went to school to BE A TEACHER, not an engineer, not a lawyer, not anything else but a TEACHER. And this person who decided later in life to become a teacher gets even a nibble, when I've gotten nothing....it does make one wanna get on their pity potty.

Now, I know a lot of good teachers who went through an alternative certification program (my sister being one of them) so I'm not knocking them. You can go ahead and call me bitter because I am! :haha:

14. palla

palla Companion

Mar 5, 2009

I know what you are saying, McKenna, but it is like that in every field. Only 55% of people are working in a field related to their degree four years after graduation. That number increases as you add more time between current job and college graduation date.

There are many different ways to become a teacher, and I honestly don't think one is better than the other. If someone goes through an alternative certification program, is that person just as qualified as someone who graduated with a degree in education?

15. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

McKenna, I heard last night that there is a nursing shortage. Wanna go into nursing with me? ;)

16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2009

Hey dont think that I haven't thought about it. With my luck though by the time I was finished there be an overpopulation fo nurses.:lol:

17. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

That's what I was thinking, tx! The woman across from me just went back to school for nursing. She had been staying at home with her girls, and both of them are off in school and married so she thought it would be a good time to go back to school and chose nursing. I might have to ask her about it. :whistle:

18. palla

palla Companion

Mar 5, 2009

They just let a bunch of nurses go here. Apparently, they are thinking of closing one of the hospitals. My neighbor has been looking for a nursing job for six month to no avail. :(

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

There's quite a few hospitals closing here, too, pallar. It's scary how just about every field is harder and harder to get a job in nowadays. That's the big reason why I'm scared go back to school even if I can't land anything in education.

20. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

Jessica, that's what scares me too and one reason why I haven't actually done anything. That and the fact that I'm still working on my masters degree.

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 5, 2009

:lol: DON"T THINK FOR A MINUTE that it hasn't crossed my mind!!

But my daughter recently had fallen after an injury and has to get fluid (that was on her knee) removed. I nearly fainted. Nope, the nursing train has left without me.

22. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

:lol: I feel ya! I don't think I could stick anyone with a needle!

23. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 5, 2009

Seriously though... I have been struggling keeping my spirits up. Even as i try relaxing and watching tv or listen to the radio -all I can think of is... that person has a job, THAT person has a job, Geez! even THAT idiot has a job!

P.S. to the last comment..

and anyway. My ex is a phsycian...and ANYTHING in the field that might get me closer to him is the LAST thing I want. Parents (new patients) of his...one family of which was in the class I student taught in... will say (since our last name is a bit unusal), "By chance, are you related to Dr. ______?" I either change the subject or say... yes, but it's a very distant relation.

24. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

McKenna, I do the same thing with looking at people and thinking wow, that person has job and I don't.

25. txmomteacher2

Mar 5, 2009

Well i just emailed the principal that I had an interview with two weeks ago. She has been calling my references this week. I really didn't think that I was even still in the running since it had been so long since the interview. I had an interview on Monday in a huge district and I have one tomorrow and a little smaller one. Today I went to the zoo and I'm pooped.

26. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2009

At least you're getting interviews, txmom. Good sign that she's calling your references. Is this a job that you would have to move for?

27. txmomteacher2

Mar 5, 2009

yes we would have to move, eventually. Hubby and I have talked and I will probably rent a small apartment and he would stay with the kids until the end of the school year. We have two high schoolers and one is a senior so she wants to finish out the year.

28. palla

palla Companion

Mar 5, 2009

McKenna, it is very hard when you don't have a job and it feels like everyone else does. It is extremly difficult when you see someone doing a job and they don't do it well. I have been lucky because I have a job and am just looking for a different direction. But when you need a job and want a job, it is hard. Try to keep your spirits up as best you can (and yes, it is hard!). And remember the most difficult time to find a job is when you are unemployed. It is much easier to find a job if you have a job already.

29. palla

palla Companion

Mar 5, 2009

Good luck, TX! It sounds good!!

30. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 6, 2009

Okay. I have put out so many applications that I no longer remember where I applied! I got a call for a factory job the other day and all I could think was "I went to college for four years to work in a sewing factory?" I can't believe that this is the ONLY phone call I have gotten since NOVEMBER!

I can't afford to start paying my student loans without a job so I re enrolled in college only to keep from having to pay them! I am looking online for job fairs for the schools again. I am hoping they will be soon. I also talked to a teacher in my children's school who said she would allow me to do in class observation. I figure that it would make it look like I was doing SOMETHING!

31. smalltowngal

Mar 6, 2009

Laken-where in TX are you?

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 6, 2009

Laken, don't feel so bad. We all do what we have to do to survive. Subbing this year wasn't going to pay the bills so I had to look for other work. You're welcome to come here and vent anytime :)

33. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 6, 2009

I live in San Antonio. I am planning to do some classroom observation and am now attending school to get my Master's in Education/ Curriculum and Intruction: Math. Math is not my favorite subject my my junior high school daughter says that I explain things to her in ways that she understands. In short, because I have always been bad with math, I explain everything the way I understand it! I didn't realize I had a knack for it and I figure maybe it will make me more marketable.

34. smalltowngal

Mar 6, 2009

Are there any job fairs in the area? I know regional job fairs are starting to pop up.

35. txmomteacher2

Mar 6, 2009

Well I am back from my interview. It went well. Very friendly principal. He was even friendly on the phone when I talked to him to set up my interview. Anyway he doesn't know if he is going to fill the position now or wait until the new year. Oh it's for PPCD. The teacher left abruptly at mid year and they have a plan that is working for them right now so he is no big rush to fill it. But said he would if he found the right person. I won't know anything until the end of March. Still no word from any of the other interviews that I went on in the last few weeks. But I got an email from another school district that wants to interview me.

36. smalltowngal

Mar 6, 2009

Wishing you luck, txmom!

37. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2009

I hope you hear some good news soon, txmomteacher!

38. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

Lakenjade,

I work for a school district in San Antonio. Principals have not even started meeting with teachers to find out who's staying or leaving. They have not met yet to estimate how many students they anticipate for the next school year. That's why they haven't posted jobs yet. Be patient. Something will come up. I know it's frustrating but this is probably the ONLY reason they haven't called. We just got through with the first part of TAKS testing, so I'm sure the principals will start looking at those things soon. Stay positive!

39. smalltowngal

Mar 9, 2009

Okay, so I feel like such a lazy bum. I don't wake up until my daughter wakes up which is sometime around 9-930. This seems to make the day go by a little faster since I'm not having to waste as many hours doing stuff around the house or thinking of free things that we can do outside the house.

There are no openings around me, and I even expanded my search, nothing in those districts either. Job fairs don't start around here until April or May. There is a district job fair in a neighboring district (one that I worked at 2 years ago). I don't even think I should go because the AP from that school has pretty much told me it's no use in reapplying to that district because he won't give me a good recommendation (even though I busted my butt in that school). So that leaves the one regional fair which has hundreds of districts, but only a few of the ones that within a reasonable driving distance will be there among the many other districts in the region. Ugh!

40. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

STG~ I would show up at the fair just to spite him. Let him know that he can't drag me down. Sounds like a small man anyway. Then go up to him and kill him with kindness. If there's one thing small people can't stand is someone who is a bigger person than them. :)