Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2009

That's great about the LTS assignment, lilmisses!!!!! Is there a possibility of turning into something full time for next school year? As far as the not so good school, give a year or two to get your foot in the door. You'd be surprised at how much you can handle.

MAT-that's scary about being run off!

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2009

Lilmiss: I would still take it. Of course the money isn't as good, but it can lead to something more...:O)

3. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

Well, the HR director (who, as I mentioned before, is the one to set up interviews) hasn't gotten back to me yet. Who knows...

My last LTS assignment-- in the same district-- was wonderful and I was never treated like a sub. The day I was hired, I was introduced as "Mrs. NewTeacher" not "Mrs. Substitute." That job was supposed to lead to a contract (it was promised to me on a number of occasions, in fact...), but someone royally screwed up in HR and I'm still a job-seeker. From the sounds of it, they're making huge cuts to the budget and won't be hiring new teachers if they can help it.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to give it a shot if I do get a chance to interview.

4. smalltowngal

Feb 5, 2009

Good luck!!!!

5. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Feb 5, 2009

I know in my area, if you are certified, you get certified pay but without the benefits as a LTS - no sick days, no holidays, etc. but the pay is much better than a regular sub. I've been a LTS since Sept. (for 2 different positions)

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 6, 2009

New update: I have an interview Monday morning at another school. YAY!! I hadn't heard from HR, but they called me today to set something up at another school. Goodness, it sounds terrible for me to say it, but I really didn't want to interview with the original school. :unsure: I've been in rough schools and tough situations before (student teaching and subbing), and I know I can handle it, but this particular school has such a bad reputation. Not to mention, I didn't feel safe driving in the area in broad daylight. :(

I am happy about this possibility!! Hopefully I have good news on Monday! :D

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2009

Update: My old district implemented a new policy for hiring last year. You have to jump through about a dozen hoops before you even actually get an interview with a principal. Well anyway last week I did the phone interview and really thought that I had blown it. I was sick and not feeling good when I did the interview. Well today I got an email to come do an in person interview with I'm guessing the asst super and some other teachers. I certainly hope that no one from my old school is there but it might help because I have nothing but good relationships with most teachers there. I did get a call from out of state but it was only for a part time. I can't move for part time. The hospital job thing really hasn't panned out. I have returned her call several times and she doesn't return mine. It still sounds kind of interesting though. I subbed this week and I can not wait until I can say I have my own classroom again. I came home in such a great mood.

8. smalltowngal

Feb 6, 2009

lilmisses-GREAT news about the interview Monday. I'm crossing all digits for good news!

txmom-I hope that the in person interview goes well for you as well.

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 9, 2009

Update: I had my interview this AM. The school is beautiful (but very old and not exactly well-equipped for the 21st century... but it has so much character!!) and the faculty and staff seem very tight. I thought the interview went very well, but I was expecting to hear an answer today. Hopefully I hear something tomorrow.

10. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2009

Good luck, lilmiss!!! I'm praying for good news tomorrow!! I expect to hear you scream from here in TX when you get it. ;)

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2009

I hope all is well today for you.

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2009

lilmisses, I hope you hear some good news today! Good luck!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 10, 2009

Well, I have an interview this morning. someone save me some rum and tums for when I get back :lol:

14. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

Good luck!!! Let's hope we're drinking the rum in celebration! :D

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 10, 2009

Hahaah either way Rum is helpful!!

16. smalltowngal

Feb 10, 2009

Good luck, TeacherNY!

17. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Feb 10, 2009

My county doesn't offer $$$ for LTS :| just the regular daily pay. I did one 4 month last year (i had to all planning) and this is my 2nd this year. I'm GLAD to get the stead work, but I definitely put in extra hours that I don't get paid for. Even went in crack of dawn this morning to prepare for my sub b/c DD sick. Thought it would help me get in the door for something more perm. but no such luck.

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 10, 2009

When I did LTS positions for teachers that went out on leave, they were required to leave lesson plans. NEFLteacher, I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Today I had the realization that it's February and I'm still without employment. I have been lectured so much by elderly on how Obama is ruining everything that I'm ready to throw something at them. I don't care. I just need the names of the people that live here so that we can send out the bloody census!!!

19. smalltowngal

Feb 10, 2009

:lol: MAT! I love your census stories! Give the guy a chance to prove himself. Not even a month is not enough time to see what we're in store for in the next 4 years. Tell them that!

20. txmomteacher2

Feb 10, 2009

I'm just going to say if you all ready know who you are go to hire why the heck do you even bother posting a stupid position. The 4th position I applied for is all ready filled with a teacher from the principals old school. GRRRR so pretty much my interview on Friday is a waste of time at least as that opening is concerned. I know they will need a teacher for next year. That doesn't do me any good now I need a job, yesterday. Guess I need to drink so rum so I don't give a flip about not having a job.

21. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

Soooooo... I didn't get the job. :( The principal wants to interview other candidates. The story behind this position is sad: the teacher whose job I was interviewing for passed away last weekend, unexpectedly. When I was called Friday afternoon about the interview, the teacher was still alive, in the hospital. Poor kids came in yesterday morning to be told by the principal that their teacher died. :( I guess there is still a chance that I'll be hired for the spot, but the email from HR indicated otherwise. Even though I felt the interview went VERY well, I didn't really connect with the AP. I just chalked it up to both of them being grief-stricken, but maybe the AP just didn't like me.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 10, 2009

I was thinking of applying for the census gig...but i don't think I could handle people like that :lol:

23. palla

palla Companion

Feb 10, 2009

That is a really difficult situation. The admin is trying to cope with the grief of everyone - their grief included - and at the same time trying to figure out who to put in the spot. I am sure there are extra factors when looking at such a candidate. In addition to everything a standard interview would cover, it seems like they would also have to determine how the kids would transition from the old teacher to the new (discipline, teaching style, etc).

I would imagine not clicking with the AP would have something to do with the situation. It is hard to concentrate on an interview when you are filling the spot of someone who unexpectedly passed away. I would not want to be in their shoes.

I am sorry it didn’t work out for you. It is frustrating indeed.

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2009

What a sad situation, lilmisses.

25. smalltowngal

Feb 10, 2009

txmom-I'm sorry about the job.

lilmiss- that is sad about the teacher. And I'm sorry that you got that email. I hope that they don't find anyone else through this next round of interviews and come back to you.

26. txmomteacher2

Feb 12, 2009

Well Ladies and gentlemen, I have finally have a real interview with a school. Tomorrow I have a pre-interview with my ol district, but on Monday I have interview at school 2 hours away. My family will have to move if I get it BUT on the bright side. It's on the coast of Texas and I love warm weather!!!!!! Anyway I am excited about it. Does anyone know what a Discovery teacher is? It's for middle school and has something to do with technology I think. HELP???

27. palla

palla Companion

Feb 12, 2009

Good luck, TX Mom!! Fingers crossed!

28. smalltowngal

Feb 12, 2009

Can't help you with what a Discovery teacher is, but CONGRATS on the interview!!!!!!! Is your family willing to move right now? And is this job starting this school year or next?

29. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2009

Good luck! I'm sorry but I'm not sure what a discovery teacher is either.

30. txmomteacher2

Feb 12, 2009

i sent in my application yesterday and so I am guessing that they need the teacher now. It will be hard if we have to move and some of my kids might have to stay here with friends or family (my senior) but yes we are willing to move now. Anyway I am super excited I just have to find out what the heck a discovery teacher is.

31. smalltowngal

Feb 12, 2009

Good luck, txmom!

32. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2009

Sending best wishes to txmom!!!

33. smalltowngal

Feb 12, 2009

So you think getting in shape (exercising like 2 hrs a day) and doing something different to my hair will help me out a little bit more in landing a job? :lol:

34. txmomteacher2

Feb 12, 2009

It will help with self esteem. Make you feel better about yourself which will help you all the way around. If it works let me know. I could stand to loose a few and changing my hair. Thats going to happen in about 30 minutes at my house.

35. smalltowngal

Feb 12, 2009

I have to wait until we get our tax returns back before I can go, but I'm definitely doing it. I hope your hair comes out wonderfully, txmom!

36. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 13, 2009

tax return? What's that? Curse us for buying a small house!

I work out just about every day and it really does help txmom! If nothing, you can wear a two-piece with pride :)

37. smalltowngal

Feb 13, 2009

MAT, have kids!! That'll boost it up a little too.

38. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 14, 2009

Tons of luck, txmom!!!

I was hoping the same thing, but at the very least it was a much-needed self-esteem boost! I've lost just about all of the weight I wanted off, but now my suits are kind of big. :p I still have to work on that thing people call "exercise." A couple of weeks ago I finally chopped my hair off (7 inches! :eek: Waaaayyy too long for me) and dyed it back to my natural color-- it was looking so crappy and scraggly (all I could really do was pull it back), and the summer at the pool and beach made the color all gross and brassy. Oddly enough, it was shortly after getting my hair back to normal when I was contacted by the one district. Of course, no job came of it, but at least I was noticed again and had an interview. :)

I need to do my taxes... we're not going to get a whole lot back, but every little bit still helps.

39. smalltowngal

Feb 14, 2009

lilmiss-I have a few more pounds to go before I'm where I want to be. And I'm getting my hair cut soon!

40. txmomteacher2

Feb 16, 2009

Ok I didnt do the hair yet but I will soon. Please be sending good thoughts and vibes down to the coast of Texas this afternoon. I have an interview at one school and I am dropping off my resume and packet to another school that has a kindergarten opening. I sent an email to the principal of the kindergarten opening and hopefully she will like my resume and ask me to come by anyway. The bad part of the day is I have to spent it with hubby and since I am still pissed at him for no Valentines it might be a very long day!!!!