Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2009

Thanks, emma. Yes, I think upper elementary is definitely where I belong. I've taught kinder and 2nd, and though I could do 2nd again, I really don't want to go lower than that, and don't even want to go into 2nd again. In this district, I'd really like to work in 5th grade so I can teach one or two subjects. And the good thing about this tutoring is that I"ll be in the school during prime hiring season. :)

2. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2009

Well my day subbing actually turned into something good. I saw alot of old friends and they made me feel very welcome. I popped my head in the door of one of my friends and she tells me that they are hiring a new 4th grade ASAP! So you know what I will be doing this weekend, filling out the millionth application. All my friends told me that they would put in a good word for me. The teacher that I subbed for even gave me her infor for a reference for future applications. So all in all I had a good day subbing.

3. smalltowngal

Jan 23, 2009

That's awesome, txmom!!!! I hope that you get this 4th grade position. Is this in the same district, but different school you worked at last year?

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

txmom, that's great! Good luck!

5. txmomteacher2

Jan 23, 2009

Yes same district different school. Let me just get an interview and I will be happy. I know that they will have a first grade for next year too.

6. smalltowngal

Jan 23, 2009

Great news!!! Good luck, I'm crossing my fingers for an interview. :)

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2009

Awesome, txmom!

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jan 25, 2009

I don't do My Space! But I heard of an art teacher who posted his "ass art" on his My Space page. The adminsitration got wind of it and fired his ass.
    Now, this is a true story--I just don't know how to relat this story without cracking a smile, or making the art teacher the butt of a joke.
    Okay, I give up. Butt, it is true!

9. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2009

:lol: Bernice!

10. txmomteacher2

Jan 25, 2009

My Myspace page is protected. i dont have anything on it anyway but some pictures of my kids. I do have some pictures at a bar for my best friends birthday but nothing incriminating. I dont have a drink in my hand. Mostly posed pictures of my friends that night. In fact I havent even logged into my myspace page since before Christmas.

11. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2009

My myspace is private as are the pictures so the only thing you can see is my profile pic, and its just a pic of me and DH.

12. TessB

TessB New Member

Jan 26, 2009

I'd like to join, came across this website today and joined. Am a substitute teacher on Long Island and am looking for a job but things are very hard. Worried about how much aid is beening cut by Gov Patterson. The district I've been in for those years knows I'm interested but so is everyone else

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jan 26, 2009

I sent an e-mail out to all my references reminding them of my existence and updated them as to what I was doing. Not much I could tell them. A new ESE position was posted this morning. I'm not expecting to hear anything from them since I have applied there before many times.

14. smalltowngal

Jan 26, 2009

MAT-I'm starting to feel that way about a particular school. I've interviewed with them 3 times before. 2 positions have posted, and I have not been interviewed for either one of them, and they have already been filled.

This tutoring position though seems to be the key to get into the district, at least its my key. :)

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2009

I watched on the news (maybe a year ago) a thing about an art teacher who made art with his butt.... I wonder if this is the same guy. There was a big uproar over it.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2009

I have a Myspace page too, but it is also private.

17. txmomteacher2

Jan 26, 2009

Well I got an email from the HR director of my old district. They had an opening and I applied. She is going to phone interview me next week for their pre-intervew interview. They phone interview all applicants, I think. Maybe not. We shall see how things go. I am not expexting to even get a regular interview.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 26, 2009

Fingers and toes crossed for SOMETHING to happen (especially if it's good).

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2009

Good luck Catnfiddle!

20. txmomteacher2

Jan 26, 2009

Ok I have a phone interview next Wednesday. What do you think that they will ask????? I didn't have to do a phone interview last time I got hired in this district. She said it would be 10 questions and take about 10 minutes so it can't be to hard! Any clue???

21. smalltowngal

Jan 26, 2009

First off, I'm crossing all fingers and toes that you get through to the next step.

Next, I would think the questions would be very basic.
    ~Tell about yourself
    ~Philosophy of education
    ~Classroom management
    ~How would you teach.....?

22. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 26, 2009

Good luck, txmomteacher2!! Can't wait to hear about it!

Well, I was supposed to attend this "guest teacher" workshop today but woke up with a very nasty migraine. I called and emailed the people in HR at 6:30 this morning apologizing profusely for not attending the program today. Hopefully I hear something back from them. I feel horrible that I missed it-- I usually just suck it up when I have migraines (I rarely get them, but when I do...), but this morning I couldn't stand for more than a minute without getting that suffocating feeling I get right before I pass out. :( I feel much better now, but it still feels like something is piercing through my right eye.

23. smalltowngal

Jan 26, 2009

I'm glad you feel better lilmiss. I've gotten migraines like that before, and they stink.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2009

Ok, this is the 2nd time that I have seen FoxNews say something like this. They put up a list of "Recession-proof" jobs and second on the list was teaching. Where are they getting their information????

25. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 27, 2009

I just saw something on ABC news(probably Good Morning America) about making it through bad economic times and finding money-making jobs where you can. This one guy has taken to setting up shoe-shine stations in train stations (he now has 6), but as a pretty high exec he gives business advice to customers while he's shining shoes...and he is doing well...for a shoe shining guy.

The other was a woman who... get this... her work has cut back to 4 day weeks, and her day off - she subs. I hear this, and my college-aged son walks into the room (day off classes) and says, "Aren't you working again, today??? Don't they call for subbing jobs?" And I tell him that the sub-pools are so darn flooded, that even subbing is tough to get. And I think of this lady (and others like her) and say, "Gee thanks for taking work from ME!"

26. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 27, 2009

Recession proof... ha!

Only if you are IN the job, have tenure, and the district isn't growing smaller. But my feelings are that so many people are in trouble- now with the stock market falling (and people losing their retirement money from idiots like Bernie Madoff and others), that teachers who WOULD have retired are holding in for a few more years.

Thus fewer and fewer openings, and more and more competition as the colleges just keep churning out the teachers.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2009

The school district where I sub is thinking of going to a 4 day week.

28. NicksMommy

NicksMommy Rookie

Jan 28, 2009

I really need a Beam and diet coke...do you only serve rum?

Sorry for the random posting here ... I know this is a total change of subject. But, have any of you went to an interview and when they ask you to "tell us why we should hire you over any other applicant", you totally freeze up and bumble over your answer, because in the back of your mind you know there is this one person who applied, who has 13 years experience, and has done a long-term sub in that grade with that school, and you know that person would be much better suited for the job than you? Well, that happened to me. I was doing so well until that question, and that friend of mine's face popped into my head. You should have seen the look of pity on the APs face! Well, I think if it had been a job I really really wanted I would have done better. Just wondering if this has ever happened to any of you.

Happy searching!

29. txmomteacher2

Jan 28, 2009

Well if I wasn't sick and full of cold medicine I would join you with the hard stuff. A little school not far from me, who pays like crap, I can't even get an interview in. They took down the posting for their elementary teacher today. Well that just means I can interview for the position in my old district. Although I am not holding out much hope for that. I did apply for a teaching position in a hospital. It said I needed 3 years of experience and I only have two but what the heck you only live once.

30. smalltowngal

Jan 28, 2009

Nicksmommy-I know exactly how you feel! I hate when they ask that question. Luckily my recent interviews haven't. I get, what I think, is the perfect answer before the interview, but when I'm actually in the interview, I totally forget!

31. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jan 30, 2009

Well, I should hope so! It's a scary thought to think that there are two teachers out there with a PHD in ass art!
    Poor guy, he's bound to be the butt of a a joke for many many years.
    Okay, I can't stop cracking a smile over this--sorry!

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 1, 2009

I had my first week of census fun. It was fairly easy. I'm so good that they want me to coordinate and oversee people for the next two months. I guess that's good but it still isn't a classroom.

33. smalltowngal

Feb 2, 2009

Well, MAT, I'm glad that they see how valuable you are and are wanting you to coordinate people. And it's something to do to get through until job seeking season comes around.

34. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

I guess that's why the call it Faux news.

35. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

[
    The other was a woman who... get this... her work has cut back to 4 day weeks, and her day off - she subs. I hear this, and my college-aged son walks into the room (day off classes) and says, "Aren't you working again, today??? Don't they call for subbing jobs?" And I tell him that the sub-pools are so darn flooded, that even subbing is tough to get. And I think of this lady (and others like her) and say, "Gee thanks for taking work from ME!"[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. But I don't understand how she is managing this. I check the Subfinder websites (I am registered with five districts) about six times a day and it's unlikely that I can ever ensure work with any degree of certainty or absolution. I can't plan around it.
    So how on earth is she managing to find work one day a week as a sub as if it were the most natural thing on earth?

36. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 2, 2009

She's a plant!!! I wonder where she is finding these jobs too. My mom today asked me if I was subbing. I said nope. I'm going to door-to-door saying "Hi I'm MATgrad and I'm with the Census Bureau. I'm here to just get the names of the current residents."

No new postings for the last three weeks. Is it summer yet?

37. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2009

MATgrad, your job will come soon. Enjoy the money from the census; I did this work in 2000 and the money was good.

38. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

I haven't posted in a while, but I do have somewhat of an update.

One of the local districts contacted me about a full-time teaching contract for the remainder of the year. Great, right?!? I've been really down/depressed and hard on myself over not having a job-- this couldn't come at a better time! Today, after not hearing anything for a couple of days, I receive an email from HR that basically says, "Oh yeah, we actually can't give out contracts for this year. You can be a long-term sub instead." So do everything required of a classroom teacher and provide my own materials for my classroom, but work for a significantly lower salary and no benefits?!? Not to mention, with the title of LTS, I'd probably be treated like a sub instead of as a teacher. Wow. Desperate for a job and money, I shoot back a "sure, why not?" type of email.

Here is the dilemma: the HR director told me of two openings at an elementary school that is NOT in a good neighborhood. (In this district, you don't contact the schools-- HR sets that stuff up for you.) The students are bad, the area is scary even in broad daylight (I accidentally got lost in that area once when leaving another school after a day of subbing), and I've heard some horror stories from reliable sources about this school. My gut is telling me not to do it, but my bank account and husband are telling me I have no choice. Actually, DH supports me no matter what I do... but he feels I should go for it. Who knows, the principal and AP may take one look at me and think I'm too tiny and wimpy to handle working at their school.

This is so frustrating!!

39. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 5, 2009

Hmmmm.... LTS can be pretty decent. I'm just hesitant to give any district the cow for so cheap. I would check it out maybe they won't treat you bad. I did a LTS where nobody called me a sub and treated me fairly good. I wonder who that 1st year chicky knew. It's part of the reason I don't sub because I couldn't stand seeing people who shouldn't be in a classroom in a classroom.

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to handle them. Just give them clear and consistent expectations. I LOVE 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers. The kids always know what will happen.
    Today was cold and somebody chased me off their property because I work for the "cry-baby liberal government." Not too fun.

40. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2009

LTS in our district are treated more like teachers. I would go for it.