Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

I've had something similar happen. The year before I got hired I interviewed with my current district and wasn't chosen. The girl they hired instead has a mother who is an aid in the district, a father who is well known in the community. And she has a myspace page showing her doing a lot of drinking and partying. She now teaches 3rd grade! What gets me...she coaches high school volleyball, basketball and softball....quite a role model for those girls, wouldn't you say! It really steams me.

2. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jan 16, 2009

My depressing thought for the day was logging into my districts employment site this morning and having NOTHING turn up at all for my subject area! :unsure:

Up to this point they've had at least one, perhaps two positions posted each week.

Needless to say, not a way to begin a Friday...but I will remain hopeful that something good will show up, I'll apply and get it! :cool:

3. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

STG, trust me, I thought about doing the same thing!! Glad I'm not the only evil one around here. ;) :p

FutureFLteacher, I'm also frustrated with the lack of postings/jobs in my area. :( I know something fabulous will pop up for you soon!!

4. FutureFLTeacher

Jan 16, 2009

Thank you so much sweetie and I know the same will happen for you too! (Here's hoping it's sooner than later for all of us...LOL):)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2009

I didn't get the job. :(

6. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

I'm sorry.

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

That SUCKS!! :mad: How did they inform you?

I'm sorry-- I hope something bigger and better comes your way soon!!! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

8. smalltowngal

Jan 18, 2009

I called Friday afternoon to ask. The secretary said that she thought they had hired someone. Not long after that, the principal called letting me know that they all were impressed with me,and how I make a great teacher; however, they went with someone who currently works in the school. She said that she's keeping my resume though for the openings she knows she'll have open for next year, and she'll be sure to interview me for them.

9. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Jan 19, 2009

I'm sorry STG. :hugs: That really sucks! It's nice that the principal let you know that they were impressed, and who knows, maybe something else will open up that will be even better for you.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2009

Please keep in touch with that school. Do you sub there? If not, maybe you should try so they won't forget who you are.:)

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 19, 2009

I'm so sorry to hear this STG. Hugs! At least the feedback you got was good and hopefully you can get something with them for next year. It's got to be a good sign that the principal spoke to you about it. :hugs:

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2009

I'm sorry, STG. At least they were impressed by you and said they would interview you for other vacancies.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2009

STG- So sorry that you didn't get the job. I really hate when they hire from within the school. If they knew they had someone in the school who wanted to teach that position why not just move them into that position. That has happened to me more than once during my interview career.

14. smalltowngal

Jan 19, 2009

Thanks guys. I haven't had the chance to sub in this particular school. However, I'm starting a 3 day a week tutoring gig at another school in the district so I'll only be allowed to sub for the other 2 days a week.

15. smalltowngal

Jan 19, 2009

A 7th grade history position just opened in my district! I've emailed the P my resume and cover letter!

16. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 19, 2009

Fingers crossed!!

And have a great first day tomorrow :).

17. smalltowngal

Jan 19, 2009

Thanks, MsMar!

18. FutureFLTeacher

Jan 20, 2009

So sorry to hear about that STG...but I'm a firm believer everything happens for a reason! Perhaps this 7th grade history position is meant for YOU which is why you didn't get the previous job. Keep us updated and best of luck to you sweetie!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2009

STG- that's so cool, let us know how it goes!

20. smalltowngal

Jan 20, 2009

Yeah, when I emailed my cover letter, I forgot to change one of the schools to the school I was sending it out. :( OH well, there was an intermediate position posted in a neighboring district (where I tutored last year). AND, I heard from 2 teachers at the school I'm tutoring at this year that this is how they got their jobs in the district.

21. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2009

STG, how did your tutoring day go?

22. smalltowngal

Jan 20, 2009

It was good. A little hetic because we're not sure exactly what I'll be doing from day to day until next week. But I'll enjoy it! And the prospect of getting a job out of it makes it really worth it.

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jan 21, 2009

I'm so sorry you didn't get it STG. :(

I had a "funny" run-in a couple of days ago. I was at the grocery store and bumped into a teacher at a school I used to sub at. We were talking and she goes on about well maybe you'll end up with next year. That just burned me up. I have applied for every position at this school for the last two years. Obviously, I'm not going to end up there. The kicker was when she goes "we just really can't find good subs."

This is why I'm not subbing. People see me only as a sub and nothing more. I am not giving them the cow for free anymore. I did three years of subbing while I was in school. I think I've paid my subbing dues, thank you very much.

24. txmomteacher2

Jan 21, 2009

I subbed six year!!!!! Nowadays, I sub only occasionally when I feel the need to be out of the house.

25. smalltowngal

Jan 21, 2009

Wow, MAT, that would burn me up!!

And that's why I'm not subbing either. I'll pick up an occasional day here and there when needed. I feel this tutoring job landed at just the right time.

26. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 21, 2009

Wow... no words. :mad: Is it too much to ask someone to learn some tact?

I haven't subbed once this calendar year and am getting REALLY frustrated. On top of that, one district has a hiring freeze on every position (even for subbing!) and the dream district hasn't had an elementary posting since mid-December. DH is getting his bar application stuff ready and is telling me that if I'm going to relocate to another state, to do so now-- that way, he can arrange to take the bar wherever I am. I'm torn as to what to do and where to apply.

27. smalltowngal

Jan 21, 2009

Come down here!!! We should have plenty of openings around the are with all the changes going on. ;) AND like I said, I have connections in law. :)

28. txmomteacher2

Jan 23, 2009

Well I'm off today to be one of those faithful subs. You know the ones they never hire. Well actually I am subbing for an old teacher friend who works in the same district I quit. I am only doing it as a favor. SHe has always been good to me and she was my son's teacher. We worked together while I was in spec ed. The only thing good about it is I get to see my little girl and she was excited that I was going to be at her school. It's only half day with very little to do but hey I can catch up on my reading.

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 23, 2009

Hang in there! I wasn't hired at any of the six school districts where I subbed, but the right school that loved the broad range of experience (you name the socioeconomic group, I worked with kids in it) hired me almost on the spot. There is all hope that this can be the case for those who are now where I was last year.

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

STG: What sorts of openings are going to be available? U know?

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

lol. Sorry for the "u" instead of "you". I was in text message mode...

32. smalltowngal

Jan 23, 2009

Well, the 7th grade history position that just posted this week has already been filled. :( The intermediate position that posted in the neighboring district is for next year (at least the principal emailed to let me know that).

Tami-I'm not sure exactly what positions are going to be needed. The district is doing some rezoning. 2 elementaries and 1 intermediate school are going to all become PK-5th campus. 1 elementary is going to become PK-2, and their 3rd grade is moving to the other intermediate school which will be 3rd-5th. I think some teachers will be leaving the district because of the changes. Some will get moved around to a different campus and different grades. I heard some of the teachers saying that if they are asked to move to a different school, they will apply elsewhere. So there is no telling!

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

STG- Sounds like major changes!
    Sorry about the 7th grade history position. Something eventually is going to work out.

Oh, how is the tutoring job working out so far??? How do you like it???

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

If anyone watched Fox News this morning, there was a guy on who predicted that the economy is going to get worse and that we will be looking at something like the Great Depression. Please tell me he's wrong.... Steve Forbes also came on to talk about Obama's proposed stimulus package. Forbes commented that there are several aspects to it that are good, but many areas that are not, and it alone is not going to help. He said we need to cut taxes across the board, get rid of something called "mark's market" or something like that.... I don't know if I can weather all of this. I am feeling the pain of the economically bad time...

35. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

Oh, and I know many of us here are feeling the pain..

36. smalltowngal

Jan 23, 2009

Tami-the tutoring job is going fine. I'll get into a more routine schedule next week when ALL the tutors start. The campus secretary (and principal) were a little shocked that I was already starting. I told them that the teacher told me to come in, and when I asked if she wanted me to wait, she said no, that they needed me. So we'll see how next week goes. There are 4 tutors and 12 4th grade teachers so each of us will be working with 3 teachers/classes. I plan on getting some letters of recommendation from those teachers. ;) And, it makes me feel better knowing that at least a few teachers at that school have gotten their jobs from this tutoring gig. I hope that this year is my year!

That is awful about heading into a Great Depression. I did hear that it'll get worse before it gets better. I also read that Obama's stimulus package wasn't supposed to jump start the economy, but just to stop it from getting worse.

Please, God, help us through this.

37. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

STG: That's so great about your job. I really hope that it leads into a permanent teaching position. The good thing is that you are making connections, which are great to do at this time. Since the economy is really bad and there might not be jobs at the moment (or any time too soon), these connections will be great for when things get better (nd they have to get better at some time). These teachers will get to see your actual teacihng skills, so I think this job will be so great for you. BTW, are you multiple subject or single subject??

38. smalltowngal

Jan 23, 2009

We don't have multiple/single subject certifications. I'm certified EC-4 (all subjects) and 4-8 English/Reading/Social Studies.

39. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2009

Oh, got it!

40. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2009

stg, that's so awesome about the tutoring b/c it puts you in the school on a regular basis, working directly with teachers and other staff members, plus isn't upper elementary your thing?