Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 13, 2008

stg, I hope your DH gets his bonus. He deserves it.

cat, what have the doctors done for your heart? What do they have to say about treatments and whatnot? That is so scary!!! :( Special non-alcoholic drinks for you!! I'm sure we can find a person or two who could drink your share of the rum. ;)

MAT, those people are THE.SUCK. And Bailey's rules... I looooove Bailey's. It's especially tasty in hot chocolate. When I was in Germany my freshman year of college I drank Schoki Baileys all the time. :)

The other one asked me how I like sleeping late and am I enjoying the "good life"
    Oh, man, it's friggin' AWESOME!! The rush I feel when I see my dangerously low checking account balance... WOOOO! Can't explain it. And that high feeling I get when reading the latest job rejection letter or see a job I applied for taken off a website is the greatest. Oh yeah, that's the good life.

I have connections too-- in fact, I was recently told by MIL that FIL's boss' wife is confident she can get me in a school district because she's close friends with the super. Now, FIL's boss and his wife are disgustingly wealthy (must be nice...), and money does talk... maybe they can make like a certain Illinois governor and try to buy me a job. :p Honestly, though, I've heard the lines so many times-- the "I have connections/I can't talk to so-and-so/blahblahblah"-- and they haven't gotten me anywhere. I'll believe it when I'm signing my contract.

I'm making a gift wish list:
    To the principals who didn't hire us: a lump of coal.
    To the schools who sent us rejection letters that have the wrong name on them or addressed to the wrong individual, and to the schools who promised us contracts on multiple occasions but ultimately screwed something up: broken toys. The more expensive the toy, the better. :p

Anything anyone else want to add to the list? It's therapeutic. :lol:

2. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 15, 2008

I like the idea of lumps of coal. I actually saw some in Hallmark the other day. I was officially approved for emergency unemployment compensation. Woohoo! More time to sit at home and collect my government cheese.

I was thinking of sending my master's back to the university. I'm not using it maybe somebody else could use it.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2008

MAT-I'm glad that you got extended. I'm thinking of quitting my masters work because I keep thinking what the heck am I going to do with it, but then I would have to start paying for it and I can't do that so I'll stick with it.

4. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Dec 16, 2008

Anyone mind if I pull up a bar stool?

I took the first job offer...it didn't work out, but I got out of it relatively undamaged except for my confidence.
    I took the first job offer after that...it didn't work out, and crapped on my resume.
    Now...I'm job-searching for the third time in two years. Yeah, I need a drink.

5. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Dec 16, 2008

Cheers! I am with you all here. I quit my first teaching job in Sept. after only 4 months. I was an infant/toddler teacher in what was hell. I should have seen the warning signs, but I didn't know what to look for and it was the worst experience I could have imagined. Bounced paychecks~ three times!!! Administration completely ignored regulations and instead of being in a ration of 4 to 1 I routinely had 8 to 10 infants to care for ALONE. The site director was only interested in the title "site director" and had zero interest in doing the job that goes with that title....I could go on for hours but I won't. I have been job hunting for 3 months with no success so far. I have had 2 interviews with no luck, and more than a few rejection letters, if I get any response at all. I did go to an interview last Wed. and I am supposed to call her this week to set up a second interview so I am keeping my fingers crossed but trying not to get my hopes up too high. So I guess....Bottoms up!:spitwater:

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 17, 2008

Got another rejection today! This time it was for an ESE position. The aggravating part is that there is a position that's been up since October! They could have filled it (with me) but yet it still sits empty.:spitwater:

Now I'm getting ready to study for my math 6-12 cert test. If I can't find something with that then just stick a fork in me and call me dumb. :dizzy:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  7. smalltowngal

Dec 17, 2008

MAT-that stinks! There has been a position posted here since 10/30 and when I called on Monday, there has been no interviews, nothing. Why post it if you aren't going to do interviews until after the holiday break?

I did make another connection in the school with the 8th grade ELA position, and she said she would tell the principal about me. Crossing my fingers that SOMETHING opens up for us all.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2008

I dont know if I need more drinks or a shrink. I am second guessing my self about putting more appilications in to schools that have openings. I know I can do the job, but the lack of self esteem is getting me down. There are several jobs that have been posted that I am qualified for I just dont want to be turned down again and again.

9. smalltowngal

Dec 17, 2008

I could've written the same post, txmomteacher....:(

10. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

Not sure yet, but I may be joining the ranks again, so save some rum for me. :(

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 18, 2008

Oh NO!!! :hugs:

12. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

Here's a story we all know too well: dream school posts dream job in dream grade last week on my dream district's website. Dream school with dream job in dream grade on dream district's website is taken down. Why? In part I'm sure it's because my application wasn't considered complete. Why wouldn't my application be considered complete? Funny you should ask-- I've been waiting for over two weeks for a reference from an old principal, someone I knew who could provide an excellent reference for me. We really did have a great relationship, they thought very highly of me, they wanted me to work at their school (loss of Title I funds and a huge decrease in student enrollment forced them to say "buh-bye" to six employees... a large number when the school is pretty small), so it was baffling as to why they wouldn't complete my reference. Long story short, it's done now and I have my minimum of three references. See, this district completely re-did their application system so everything is now completely online. I needed three references to fill out forms since reference letters, while I can scan and upload them to my file, are no longer valid-- they must have THIS form. Easy enough, right? HAH! Unfortunately I can't list my student teaching supervisor or my host teacher as both are now retired; since I didn't keep in touch with them I don't have their contact info. I have reference letters from both, but as I said before they don't "count." OH well... at least everything is done on my end with this district. They now just need to have a school that discovers that they need to hire me.

Don't take this the wrong way, TF, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: As much as I like your company, I would hope that you wouldn't have to join our ranks. :(

13. smalltowngal

Dec 18, 2008

lil-I hate that some districts make it soooooooo difficult just to apply!! I hope this school gets their act together soon.

As for me, I'm still waiting.....:whistle:

TF-I think I might have drank all the rum in a binge one night so there's no more. You stay at your job!

14. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

Exactly! I have no problem requesting reference forms or letters of recommendation from colleagues and supervisors if I am SERIOUSLY being considered for a position, but so many districts require this before they'll even LOOK at your application. Maybe I have the wrong attitude about this, but I think that is stupid. It is a waste of my time to request these recommendations, and a waste of the reference's time to fill them out, if I'm not even being considered for the position. Additionally, I hate to keep bothering people to give me references.

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 18, 2008

Nope! I drank all the rum so you can't join our ranks again. See problem solved. :woot:

What is with all the reference forms? My favorite is the we only keep it on file for six months. Um no! You will keep my electronic information until I'm done. It's not like it's taking up space. Even then, they're still going to call and grill the poor person for an hour.

16. smalltowngal

Dec 18, 2008

Most of the districts around here keep the apps on file for 2 years, but I still send a new one in each year. I would have thought as much as I have bugged this one principals with emails and phones calls for EVERY position I'm qualified for at her school, that she would just hire me so she wouldn't have to deal with me. Of course, if she hired me she would see me every day, but I wouldn't be so annoying. :)

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

I just want to say to all of you to hang in there and I hope that things get better for you real soon. Keep your heads up and don't give up.

18. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2008

Okay gals, I have an interview today at noon for a Title 1 Reading teacher position in a neighboring district. Wish me luck!!!!!!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 19, 2008

LUCK! And ONLY the good kind! Talk as much as you can about Response to Intervention and all those fun key terms. Fingers and toes are crossed that I'll have another Title teacher in the ranks for discussion and grousing.

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

Oh, STG, I am hoping and praying...

21. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2008

Thanks gals!

22. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 19, 2008

GO STG!!!! I'm crossing everything I can for you :)

23. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Dec 19, 2008

Good Luck STG!! I will think good thoughts and keep my fingers crossed for you!

24. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

STG-All I want for Christmas is to hear that you got this position.

25. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2008

Thanks guys!! The interview went very well I think!!! They have two more interviews for the day they come back because 2 are moving to the area. The principal said she would make a decision the first week of Jan. I've already sent my thank you email, and will send a thank you card so that she'll have it there when she gets back. The school is only in its 2nd year so TAKS scores haven't been good, but the principal was sooo nice and it seems like she supports her teachers. I REALLY WANT THIS JOB!!!!

26. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

STG, if you heard a shriek coming from a northeast direction, it was me. I'm so glad you had that interview and really really REALLY hope that principal shows how smart she is by hiring you!! THIS SCHOOL NEEDS YOU!!!!!!

All right, and now to make this about me :p :

My online application is COMPLETE, as I reported before. Waiting on the reference DEFINITELY was the reason why I missed out on a job opportunity. No elementary jobs have been posted yet. :( Now, because clearly we need to make sure lilmisses has as difficult a time as possible, I have to get another TB test b/c mine is no longer valid. I understand why they're making me get the TB test, so I shouldn't complain at all-- my old one expired not too long ago-- but it's still a pain in the butt. I guess I'm annoyed because the woman in HR actually told me that under their old system I was "fine", but since they updated and re-launched their application system I need to get a new test.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

27. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2008

I thought I heard a strange noise coming from that direction....:lol:

I hope that she's a smart one too. They both seemed VERY nice and apologized several times for the sudden interview while I kept saying that it was really no problem and a nice surprise.

lil-I hope that since your app is complete that there will be more positions available that one will be YOURS!

28. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

Yeah, well, I am pretty loud... :sorry: :D

"Yes, well, as a teacher I know how important it is to be flexible-- you never know what might pop up!" :p

29. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

STG- Hope things work out for you. I have some news myself on the homefront. My husband came home last night from overseas. It was a nice surprise. I had no clue he was coming until he called me from the airport. He wont be going back for a few months. BUT this gives me a chance to really look at jobs that we would have to move for. I was a little aprehensive about making a move with 4 kids all by myself. Anyway good luck and we are all praying that the next drink we get to drink is to congradulate you on your new job.

30. smalltowngal

Dec 19, 2008

That's great news, txmom. I hope that you can find a job soon!!

31. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

stg-I am so happy for you and I hope things work out for you, it will definitely be deserving

lilmissesI am glad that you are good to go now

txmom I am happy that your husband is home and you find a job soon

32. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Dec 30, 2008

got back from visiting with dh family over xmas break. when i explain i cant' find a job they just look at me perplexed. husbands boss did same thing at xmas party. i think people not in education field don't understand what budget cuts are doing to the education system.

33. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 30, 2008

Well, I have decided that if I don't have a job by August I'm throwing in the towel and will seek a full-time job with benefits outside of my field. DH will begin his final year of law school at that time and we're going to have a rather large and scary bill for his bar prep course. I do NOT want to have to take out additional loans to pay for it, but subbing and tutoring won't cover it either.

There is only so much rejection I can handle. The competition for jobs is getting MUCH worse. It wasn't an easy decision to come to, but with the economy and the job market I'm growing increasingly pessimistic. The governor of my state is apparently pushing for a, brace yourselves, $100 million dollar cut in the education budget.

May 2009 be a much better year for all of us!

34. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 30, 2008

lilmisses...

i'm saddened to read your post. I have felt the same way (only over here there isn't a husband anymore)... and pray that I will be able to find something in teaching before i have to close the door on this purpose and passion in my life.

35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

I did the same thing a few years ago while I couldn't find work and my husband's grad school funding was yanked (departmental issues, not his fault). There's nothing wrong with going back to the private center, but there's also nothing wrong with going back AGAIN to finding teaching work after a while.

By all means, pay your bills. Just don't give up completely. You are meant to be in a classroom, so the right one will wait for you while you toil away elsewhere for a year or two.

36. smalltowngal

Dec 31, 2008

lilmisses-I've thought the same thing. And though it saddens me, I have to do what is best for my family. And hope that I DO get a job, and my masters isn't for naught.

37. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 5, 2009

i know I have to reach out to those that i could use for networking... but...

I'm having a problem reaching out without ... sounding like a total downer.

i met with a girlfriend (I've mentioned her is previous posts). i left teaching to raise kids- She kept going. WE are. more and more, like TOTAL opposites. Her life couldn't be better. Mine is in the dumpster.

Telling my story... gosh, i depressed myself even MORE. And even teachers who are OUT there don't get how hard it is to find work. She can't even get that with subbing (on-line subbing systems like AESOP and SUBFINDER) don't feed you abundant jobs. they DON"T!

But I come off as a cross between a sad-sack, someone who MUST be lazy, or a flat-out liar. How could it be THIS bad???? Simply...It just IS.

Now i have to write others. My college supervisor (whose last instructions were-stay in touch if you expect us to continue to send out good references), my student teaching mentors, other teachers I've known...... and I can't even write notes without depressing MYSELF! Who would want to read THAT????

And now.... here come the January Graduates to fight.

Folks... I'm spiralling.

GOD! I'm a TEACHER! I KNOW there are crappy teachers out there of whom i could replace and do well in children's lives!!!

I need to snap out of this...and can't seem to find a way.

38. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2009

So this girl is out of the picture?
    You are just graduating from school and ready to teach?
    It is hard to find work right now, I know. I am in the same boat you are. It sounds like you are subbing. How many school districts do you sub for?

39. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jan 5, 2009

I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself today. It's the first day back after break. I woke up this morning and thought "What is the point?" Now I get to compete with all the January grads. I can't believe I went back to school to end up with nothing. I'm right back to where I started four years ago.

I'm a good teacher. I love teaching. I love watching that spark go off. The kicker about it is that I know teachers who are only in it for the paycheck but yet there they sit with jobs.

I ran into a student of mine from last year. That was HARD. I've been so good at not thinking of what I was doing at this time last year until I ran into the kid. Then it all came back to me again.

Our genius governor is going to cut even more money from the education budget soon. It looks like I too will be going into the private sector shortly to pay the bills.

40. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2009

I definitely understand the way you're feeling and can say that I've felt this way quite often since I resigned this past October. It's tough to see your teacher friends being successful and you're stuck in limbo. This sounds so cliche, but keep positive. I am a true believer that positive people attract positive things.