Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 15, 2008

Get Going

Sorry,I think you should get back in the swing and sub.You never know when a job might turn up. THe worst thing you can do is sit there feeling sorry for yourself.Get Going!:confused:

2. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 15, 2008

Still no word. It looks I will be calling tomorrow morning just to refresh.

STG~ Hang in there. I make it a point to get up and get fully dressed as though I am working. My train of thought is that when I finally do find a position that I won't be have a hard time adjusting to the schedule.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 15, 2008

You, of all people, need to be in a classroom, even if it isn't your own. Someone like you with such a passion for teaching children has the capacity to make a difference in a single day. You would do so much more than hold down a desk. You would enter the students' world as a special guest star.

Go to it! A day with students, even if called at the last minute when you're groggy, will ALWAYS trump a day at your kitchen table in your pajamas until noon (no matter how good it sounds to me at the moment :whistle:).

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2008

I agree sub all you can. I am subbing and I am even going to sub in my old school district after my husband goes back to Afghanistan. The one day that I did sub it was good to be back in the classroom even if it wasn't mine. I even picked up some ideas from her. On a brighter note. My husband I decided that I should look seriously at moving to another state. So I just put out some feelers. (ok I applied at 3 or 4 districts ) I finished one application at about 1:00 pm and by 2:07 I had a phone call for an interview. I have to call her back because I wanted to talk to my husband and make sure it was what he wanted. Plus I had several of the HR depts email me back to make sure that I had applications on file with their districts. So who know maybe the trick is move away from here. After all I have been here since I was 2.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2008

MAT-That's a good idea. I think I will start doing that tomorrow.

txmomteacher-I applied in NC. That's the only state both me and DH would consider moving to. However, after great reaction right after applying, I haven't had much luck in getting anyone to bite at my emails.

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 16, 2008

Still no word. They have not made a decision yet. They finished interviews yesterday. Cross your fingers for me!!

7. smalltowngal

Oct 16, 2008

Fingers crossed MAT!!!!

And to everyone who commented about me not wanting to sub, I agree with what yall said, and posted that when I was in a major funk.

8. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

hey smalltowngirl, we are all in a major funk. The school I long termed subbed in that gave the job away and passes me over for parapro jobs too is the school my kids go to and I sub at.

I stopped volunteering for the last two weeks b/c it was so hard to go and hold my head I high. Some days I barely would make it to the car before I started crying. Today I got to sub for the teacher they gave the job to. Nice.

I got a message for an INTERVIEW at another school (neighboring district) when I got home. They only had 1 slot left for 2 whole days of interviewing so I know there will be competition. 1st grade which is desirable for me. Hey any position is desirable at this point! Going to study for it all weekend and drink a redbull before so I'm peppy.

Wish me luck!

9. smalltowngal

Oct 16, 2008

Well, hubby got his old job back so he'll be waking up early enough to where I can wake up with him and get ready for a sub job should they call. I have an email to a director of the preschool DD went to when I tutored last semester asking about day to day drop off and if I could do that. Crossing my fingers that they will. I also just found a job posted for a HelpDesk Manager/Trainer that prefers a teaching background.

10. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

YAY for your DH getting his job back!! :) I hope you hear back from the daycare center, and if not-- maybe this HelpDesk Manager/Trainer job might be a good fit!

GOOD LUCK!!

MAT, you'd think the decision would be easy for the school: hire you!! Hopefully you get good news soon, too!

11. smalltowngal

Oct 16, 2008

ITA!! I hope that you hear good news!

lilmisses-I'm hoping that this help desk thing works out because it pays between 35k and 45k! I also put in an application for a police dispatcher. I know its a far cry from education but it will pay the bills! I also have an application for an associate librarian position that pays about the same as the help desk job. So you would think that with all those applications out, something would come my way! BTW: I'm emailing a copy of my cover letter for the help desk job. Would you mind taking a look at it for me and help make it better?

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2008

atg, I hope that one of these positions work out for you. You so deserve a job. I will keep you in my thoughts.

13. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

I think the hardest part about applying to all of these positions, and ultimately failing, is that such a huge part of interview success if based on confidence. After so many years of rejection, it is near impossible to even apply to job positions with confidence.

14. smalltowngal

Oct 17, 2008

SuperSide-that is so true.

As for the librarian position, she just called to say that they have put a hiring freeze on the position so she won't be able to hire someone for at least a month.

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 17, 2008

Still no word. Same school has Special Ed position. I went ahead and applied for it. Can't they just make up their minds already!

16. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Oct 20, 2008

Hey STG-
    I think that people are beginning to understand how dire the job market is for us. Instead of being asked: Why I can't get a job, I'm finally being told of the economic reasons for the lack of jobs down here in Florida and in Texas and Cal.Although it doesn't make us feel better,nor does it help our situation it does, at the very least,alleviate the onus we put on ourselves to explain our unemployment status.
    I was just sent this article and all I can say is that it is shameful.

500 Teachers and 1000 Dallas ISD Employees Have Been FIRED

By Melissa Q, published Oct 17, 2008

The Dallas Independent school district has hit an 89 million dollar accounting snag. How an 89 million dollar short fall can be considered a snag is beyond me, but many television reports were calling the huge mistake a snag. Perhaps the word snag was being used in a joking or sarcastic matter but for the 500 teachers who have now lost their jobs due to a major accounting error, I doubt that this is a joking matter. The latest round of lay offs is not going to be the last. A total of 1000 Dallas ISD employees will have to loose their jobs due to this "massive miscalculation" in the district's budget for this year.

Dallas ISD laid off 375 teachers Thursday October 16, 2008. This was 88 fewer teacher than first expected, and this was due to the generosity of 88 teacher who were willing to take early retirement in order to spare the jobs of their colleagues. This story first broke over a month ago when Dallas area students returned to school from summer break. Now almost 2 months into the school year thousands of students will have to be shuffled to other classes and some to other schools because they will no longer have a teacher. Michael Hinojosa the superintendent has been put on notice by the school board. Although he has been put on notice this does not mean that his job is at risk, although many Dallas area residents are calling for his job. As many residents have to explain to their children how an accounting mistake has now changed the dynamic of the entire school year and perhaps their lives, they are left wondering why the no one not even the superintendent had no idea that this accounting mistake was looming and eventually allowed to happen.

The sad thing about this situation, is that the already struggling school district has yet another stain on their reputation and so far the only people who are going to pay the price for this enormous mistake are the children of DISD, who are already stuffed into over crowed class rooms and many poor quality schools.

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 20, 2008

When those teachers file for unemployment, that district is going to be hit with a major increase in their unemployment insurance. There was an article about my old district getting a 50% rate increase because of the large increase in claims. It truly is despicable what happened to those teachers. Before I got my education degree, I worked as an economist for a bond agency. These are some truly rough times. Unfortunately, government agencies are not doing what they really need to do which is increasing spending on social services. I think we will hear of more districts/schools doing mass cuts because of budgets or even declaring financial insolvency. In Florida, the school board association is trying to see if they can sue the state for all the cuts they've made.

I still haven't heard anything back from my interview. I called the school and they still haven't made a decision. ARGH!! I need to buy stock in the Captain and Tums.

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 21, 2008

Not a good day. I forgot to pay the mortgage and now it's going to cost us a $35 late fee. Stupid, stupid, stupid me!!

Must go bang head on wall.

19. smalltowngal

Oct 21, 2008

Ugh MAT! I'm sorry. Does your mortgage not have a grace period? Ours is due on the 1st of every month, but as long as we get it in by the 16th, there is no late fee.

It hasn't been a very good start to the week for me either. I'm hoping that next week is better. I'm taking the Science test for 4-8 certification and interviews should start or a financial admin clerk at the local HS.

20. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

Big interview for 1st grade position today. I went this morning and got a new cute bob haircut and new blouse for the interview. Trying to boost my inner confidence! Drinking the caffeine as fast as I can to keep up my enthusiastic nature. Last interview was so nervous and exhausted I just clammed up. We'll see if it helps!

21. smalltowngal

Oct 21, 2008

Good luck!!!

22. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

i think it went well. They didn't ask me much, they let me do all the questioning and talking. I wouldn't have my own class, but I would move around the grade working with groups. The school doesn't have physical space for another room but needs teacher for class size ratio. They are building another school nearby so I most likely would get one next year. Going to write a thankyou letter to express my enthusiasm and desire. Keeping my fingers crossed that this may be my chance!

23. smalltowngal

Oct 21, 2008

That sounds like a good interview. I will pray that good news is coming your way! And just think? Though you don't have your own classroom this year, you can gather ideas from teachers whose rooms you are in for next year. And your classroom will be brand new!

24. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

It was just weird b/c normally I get very technical Q's. I felt very comfortable and the P/VP were very personable with me....let everyone know know as soon as I hear!

25. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2008

Best wishes to you, I am glad that you were comfortable. This seems like a good sign to me.

26. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 22, 2008

Sounds very promising! Remember they're not only looking to see if you can do the job. They're also looking to see if you'll fit in with the staff.

27. smalltowngal

Oct 22, 2008

Someone kick me in the pants so I can get going!!!

28. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 22, 2008

Here's a kick from Florida! Get up, get dressed and get ready for the day. :)

I got an odd call yesterday. It was from the P at the school I interviewed with before. P asked if I was interested in an ESE position. Well duh, of course I said that I was. P me they would schedule later in the week and asked if I had a preference for time. P was not at school and said secretary would call later this week. I told them whatever was most convenient for them. Now I'm waiting for them to pick a time and day!! Another ARGH!!

29. smalltowngal

Oct 22, 2008

At least you have positions to apply for. I don't even have that!!

30. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 22, 2008

Me and 200 other fruitcakes going for the same two or three. Oh well, tomorrow is the new ad week for Publix and that means I get to go grocery shopping. After all tomorrow is just another day!

31. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

((((sigh))))) didn't get the first grade position.....at least they had the decency (AsstP) to call me. Still in the club (wine club) for now.

32. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

I'm sorry to hear that, NEFLteacher!!! I hope something comes your way soon!!

MAT, have you heard anything?

33. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 24, 2008

NEFLteacher, I'm so sorry that you didn't get it. Go to Publix and get some of that buy one get one free candy to go with the wine.

Nothing from my end. I emailed the P today. When I got my last position, I got the call at 7:30 on a Friday night. Maybe my email will remind her to make a decision already.

34. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 27, 2008

spent time with family and friends this weekend to take the mind of being unemployed. Have the rest of the week booked for sub jobs to keep me busy. I hope the busier I get the less I;ll feel depressed. Not working today (planning day for teacher) but was able to fix the dishwasher myself and save $$$ on service call. Gotta keep looking at the positives.

35. smalltowngal

Oct 27, 2008

Well, I'm still waiting for the answer on the aide position. He had a few more interviews today and then would be making a decision soon. The tutoring position isn't even close to being ready to interview for. I did talk to the principal and she said that the teachers make a list of what people they would like to tutor and then those are brought in for an interview. She also said she remembered interviewing me before, but I have never interviewed with her so there must be another person with my name trying to get into the district. I hope that that is not the reason why I'm not getting any calls for interviews! I have an interview at 330 today for an admin asst position close by. So we'll see what comes of these two interviews.

When I went into the interview for the aide position I did notice that he had another application with a big NO on it. :eek:

36. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 27, 2008

I hope that big NO wasn't on yours STG!

Still no word, I really, really want to call them but as I emailed them on Friday I know to give it a day or two. Two more ESE jobs were posted today so I went head and applied for those. Maybe all the northerners have finally gone back north and I can get something. Kind of mean I know but hey I've lived here for years. I promise to not leave in a few years.

37. smalltowngal

Oct 27, 2008

MAT-no, it wasn't on mine! Thank goodness! And if I don't get the position, well then something good came out of it because I redid my references on my resume and asked for some more letters of recommendations. I lost Emily 4 days before school let out for the summer and wasn't really supposed to be up there on the teacher workday, but figured the teacher taking over wanted to get in there so I wanted to get my stuff out so asking for a letter wasn't number one on my list of things to get done, and I just never thought about it again until the P brought it up.

I"m glad that there are postings that continue to pop up for you. There is nothing here! I hope that as Dec draws closer, there are more postings here. Tomorrow I'm taking my science certification. As far as contacting the school, I might wait until Wed before calling if you haven't heard anything by then.

38. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2008

stg, how the AA's interview go? I am so hoping that you find something soon.

39. smalltowngal

Oct 27, 2008

It went okay DHE. It sounds like a good job. Of course a long way from education. He said he would make a decision in about a week and a half to 2 weeks. In that time, I might have the aide job so it was kind of a wasted interview, but if I don't get the aide position then I know I still have this on the table.

40. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

smalltowngal, hope the mix up doesn't weigh you down! My last name is very unusual so i don't get that atleast.

A neighbor of mine got a teaching job. He had moved down here from up north and secondary certified in everything with no luck for 1+ year. Wound up meeting a principal by chance and everything just clicked, even though he had applied and not even gotten an interview.