Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

Hey Everyone,
    I got a rejection letter from a middle school that I interviewed with last week and guess what? It was addressed to someone else. What a bunch of dopes.

2. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

:eek: :banghead:

Wow. If they can't handle something as simple as a rejection letter, how do you think they manage things at the school? Geeeeeeeezzzz.... I'm sorry you had to deal with that. :hugs:

MAT, kick some major butt tomorrow!! I hope your next posts are telling us how awesome the interview was and that you're hired!!

STG, I hope that principal calls you for an interview tomorrow! The suspense is killing us here!

I hate it when you interview and they can't be bothered to thank you or let you know you didn't get the job.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2008

Thank lilmisses. I want nothing more to come on here and yell from the forum walls that "I GOT A JOB!!" That day will come, but I wish it would come this week or next. :D

How have things been on the job front for you?

Beth-I'm sorry that you got a rejection letter, it makes it much worse when its addressed to someone else.

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

Beth that is terrible!!

I'm getting all ready and prepped. I had a mock interview last night. I feel very prepared. This will be my 9th interview this year. I really hope that I'll get to come here shortly and scream those three little words. STG you will be screaming those words soon. It would be nice to clear out the garage.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

Ok I'm off to interview. :) :)

6. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

Good luck, MAT!!!

I'm sick to my stomache and have been crying my eyes out for the last 45 minutes. The 6th grade position was taken down, no interview, no email back from the ones that I have sent him since his initial one. What the hell is wrong with me?!?!?!?! Two interviews for teaching positions and one for an aide, and I don't get any of them? There have been more than 20 positions that I have been qualified for. One principal said that I present myself in a professional manner, but that there are over 40 candidates for each position (I know a very small number compared to others). I've already subbed for this district for a year and that didn't do anything for me. I know people in the district and that didn't do anything for me. What is it going to take for me to get back into the classroom?!?! I'm so depressed right now and I don't see any way out of the depths. Its not just the job search. There are other things that contribute to it; however, those problems stem from not having a job. Thanks for listening to me.

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

Sorry to hear your news. It was totally wrong of the principal to give the impression that he was interested in anybody who was calling about the job. If he already had people in mind, he should have had his secretary give that information instead of giving false hope. They could have said they would be in touch if they were interested.

It is not you. I interviewed with 4 schools (that I can remember--maybe it was more :() before I was hired. I remember how I felt each time I didn't get a job I interviewed for. Everybody would tell me, "don't take it personally, you just weren't what they needed." What do you mean don't take it personally? I knew that I could be what they needed. I am now glad that I did not get any of those jobs. I hesitated putting in a resume with my current school, but I finally did, and it was the best decision I ever made. I believe that God knew what was better for me than I did. He just had to let me find out on my own. You might not believe that, especially if you are having it particularly hard right now, but the perfect teaching position just hasn't opened up. Maybe it isn't even in Texas. Who knows? Just keep persevering and telling those principals you are the teacher for the job, but remember--it is not you.

8. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

Thank you Weazy! I know that I'm always positive with other people, but that's because its easier than internalizing it. I just feel like the longer I'm out of the classroom, the harder its going to be to get back in. I feel that we're supposed to be in Texas, don't ask me how, but I just know that this is where we are supposed to be. I know that the perfect job is out there, and that God will give it to me in His time, but what am I supposed to do in the meantime?

9. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Oct 9, 2008

Im am so sorry to hear that STG. Dont lose hope though because i know where i live just because they take a job down dosent mean they have filled it. It usually means they have enough people to interview. Soo maybe, just maybe they will call and offer you an interview. If not then something WILL happen for you! You are a great teacher! Are you subbing right now? I have met sooo many people through subbin gand they all have been really helpful in letting me know when positions become available. Everytme im at a new school i make sure i introduce myself to the P and let them know im looking for jobs or LTS positons.

Maybe you could get a tutoring job? Sometimes i see those on craigslist and they offer 20-40 and hour!

10. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

Thank you kinderkc. Yes I have been subbing, though jobs have been few and far between, and the calls that I have been getting are half days or aides and I don't do those. Here the sub coor. is the one that sets the LTS up. The principals rely on her to set up their subs for those.

I'm really looking into applying for the daycare down the street from me. It would be steady work with a steady paycheck.

11. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Oct 9, 2008

I did the daycare thing for awhile after i graduated from college and they actually payed pretty good (10.75 an hour) and i loved the kiddos. And your right that it would be a good steady paycheck coming in.

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

You have already taken the first step--instead of sitting around, you are working on your masters! Second step--you have made the decision to stay in Texas! Is school year-round in Texas? Are you subbing? Do you know any teachers in the schools who could give you a heads up about any upcoming positions? I know it is hard and frustrating. I really wish I had better advice. How many years did you teach before? What happened that caused you to leaved teaching for a little while? It sounds like you have a passion for teaching, and eventually somebody is going to see this. How is your husband's search going?

13. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

You know what's frustrating, Weazy, is that I'm reading about all these great strategies and stuff in my masters class that I would love to be able to implement into my classroom. It is definitely making me a better teacher! There are some schools in Texas that go year-round; however, none around here that I know of do. I had two friends in the district, and I just met a third (her hubby and DH are good friends), but one of the friends decided to stay home this year and only work part time because her sons are in a lot of extra-curricular activities. Both that are still in there are keeping their ears open for me. I am subbing, but the jobs haven't been coming like I thought they would. Its just been half days and aide positions which I don't take, because if you do then that's all you called for in the future. I taught 2 years (1 yr in kinder, 1 year in 2nd). I resigned from the 2nd grade position because we were pregnant and due at the beginning of Sept and I was going to stay home with her, but as you know, we lost her in May. By that time, most of the jobs had already been filled, and there were few jobs the rest of the summer. DH had an interview yesterday so we should see how that goes in a day or so. He's going to make a follow up call to our city's PD since he applied there last week. He's always working on the Air National Guard. He goes to MEPS on Tuesday and then has a year after that to go to training so depending on when the nearest date to training is, he'll do that and then try to find a job after the 10 week training.

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

STG~ I am so sorry about the position. Maybe they just haven't scheduled interviews yet.

My interview went really well today. It was honestly probably the best interview I have ever had. I was in there for an hour talking. She actually said "wow. that's impressive." She said that she would make a decision next week and the she hoped to talk to me again. I dropped my thank-you note in the mail already.

15. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

stg--First of all-my condolences, no, I did not know about your loss. I am so sorry. I didn't visit the boards much during the school year, so this is the first I have heard. I hope you are doing well and taking this time to take care of you.

As for the job hunt, you are scheduled to take the science test, which will strengthen you resume even more. Sounds like next spring you will be more than qualified when it is premium interview season. In the meantime, you mentioned working at a daycare, which will keep you working with kids. If a job opens up, you can always apply for it, but in the meantime, at least you will be working in your field.

It sounds like things are falling into place for your husband. Great! Your feeling about being in Texas appears to be right! How far are you willing to drive for a teaching job? I drive 40 minutes each way. sounds like a lot, but actually it is not bad. It is worthit, because I work with a great staff, and the kids--although a challenge--are worth it!

16. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

P.S. I am encouraged by the fact that you are learning a lot of new strategies in your class. (is it Instruction, Curriculum & Assessments?) I am in Teacher as Professional and I feel like it is busy work. I have learned a few interesting things, but WOW! all I do is comment and document, then write a paper. I am looking forward to the next class.

17. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

MAT-that sounds great! I hope that next week brings you great news. What grade is it for?

Weazy-this happened last year so its been a year and after it happened I definitely took care of myself, and continue to do so. Thank you for your thoughts.Yes, I'm taking the science cert test on the 28th of this month, and hope that will at least get me a job in this district. I've also applied to two aide positions, but will call the daycare tomorrow just in case.

Well, DH just called and he did not get the job that he interviewed with yesterday. He is going to call the PD tomorrow so we will see what they say. If not, then he will go back to work for the surveying company he worked for back in Feb.

Money is money and we need it!

18. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

Yes, I'm in that program. And I think everyone takes that Teacher as Professional as a first class. The second class will be a lot better!

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 9, 2008

It's for Kindergarten. I still can't believe that I was in the interview for an hour.

I loved my master's classes. They were so beneficial!

STG- Hang in there girl!! I am sending sugar cookies your way.

20. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

I could use some sugar!

21. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

Does your DH have to be hired on at a PD before he can go through training? Is this his dream? Sounds as if you two are very supportive of each other, and that is good. When my sons were very young, my DH and I went through some very lean times. The company he worked for at the time was going under, but he felt as though he couldn't leave. He continued to work for them even though he didn't get paid. I wasn't making very much--a little more than minimum wage. (I didn't have my degree and wasn't teaching--had a job I hated) To be honest, I don't know how we did it, but we did. There were some tense times, because I would want to quit my job, but I couldn't as long as he continued to work for nothing. Eventually, DH found another job and I went back to school (but I had to work part-time :() I guess things work out in their own time. I do know we do not take anything for granted. Everything will work out for the two of you, too. good things come to those who wait, and wait, and wait--but they do come. Does the Texas Department of Education have a site that lists all the teacher positions that are open? Ohio does--at least most of them. Maybe you can check that out. Maybe you and your hubby can do something special this weekend and get yourself recharged for next week!

22. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

No, DH doesn't have to be on the PD before going through training. The training is completely separate from the PD, though the training is actually for him to be a police officer in the Air National Guard. After he goes through the training, it might actually might be easier for him to get a job in a PD. But we don't know when training starts, and until then we have to find something.

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

:( :mad: :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Don't you dare ask "What the hell is wrong with me?" again!! The REAL question is, "What the hell is wrong with THEM?!?" Seriously. They suck.

You know I can relate. Every day is harder and harder that I don't get a call for an interview. Sometimes I feel like I need an IV of an anti-depressant to carry around with me just to make it through the day. :(

Maybe this will put a smile on your face:
    :beatdeadhorse: Just pretend that you're the smilie person and that the horsie you're beating represents the schools that were stupid enough to not offer you a job.

:hugs:

I haven't had any sub jobs yet. I'm supposedly only in one district right now b/c I'm waiting for a reference to get to my dream district. However, the district in which I'm supposed to sub has messed up/lost my paperwork once and nothing has happened since I went in two weeks ago to fill out everything AGAIN. BAH!!

MAT, I'm thrilled your interview went well!! Let's hope next week brings wonderful news your way!!

24. smalltowngal

Oct 9, 2008

If you find that IV of anti-depressant, send it my way!! I could use it as well. That did put a smile on my face so thank you for that. I have two emails out for aide positions and one for an admin asst position. If nothing happens, I'm going to call the daycare to see if they are still hiring.

25. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Oct 10, 2008

Hey Everyone,
    Thanks so much for understanding. You guys are truly my secret weapon that I can always count on to soothe my hurt feelings and take away the hurt from my bruised ego when I feel that the whole world (or at least my school district) is doing everything in their power to knock me off my feet and keep me down.
    BTW, I didn't even get notified in my email that there were any replies, I should have known better and now I do.:)
    Thanks again.
    P.S. STG-I know how you feel, the interview that I went on was with my old Ap who wanted me to work with him and did everything he could to help me--and I still didn't get an offer(but neither did the person whose letter I received:p)
    And lilmisses(with sweet piggy): you're right.They do suck.

26. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 11, 2008

I had to sign on here as soon as I got home... I got a job! I had contacted a principal by email on Wednesday, Thursday we set up an interview for Friday, and so today I drove up there to interview, and man was it worth it! For something that was so spur of the moment, it totally paid off!

I was at the school for about an hour and a half, and about 15 minutes into my drive home, I got a phone call offering me the job. One thing that is really awesome is that the current teacher is moving to an ESOL research position, so she will still be working with my students on a regular basis, and will be a great resource for me as a first year teacher! And, I inherit all of her materials!!!

The only downside is that I have to relocate, so I have to rent out my current place, and find a new place to live.... but I can finally say I HAVE A JOB!!!!

27. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Oct 11, 2008

This is not a teacher thing. The world economy sucks. Too many people did/are going

This is not a teacher thing. The world economy sucks. Too many people did/are going into teaching for the wrong reasons. Why does a teacher average pay start at $30,000.00 while some CEO of a financial company declares bankruptcy and walks away with millions? If teaching is not working out find a related field/job. Children publishing, park districts, DCFS, ECT.
    :sorry:

28. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2008

Congrats to you, it sounds like a good situation

29. smalltowngal

Oct 11, 2008

Congrats, UVA!!

30. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 12, 2008

GO UVA!!! Dance around and sing "We are the champions."

31. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 14, 2008

Ok, P was supposedly making decision today. I'm starting to think it's a no-go since I haven't heard anything back yet. There is now an ESE position open at the school. I feel the waves of chocolate craving coming on.

32. smalltowngal

Oct 14, 2008

There is still time, MAT!! I had a P call me at 7:00 pm to offer me a job before so don't give up hope yet. The only jobs I seem to be attracting are for part time for no money and less hours. Depressing!

33. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 14, 2008

I am trying to hold out and think positive thoughts. I'm eating veggie soup instead of chocolate at least and I did make some bread today. It's just crushing me the not knowing part. I would like to know either way.

Last year I went on two interviews and got hired. This year I'm up to 12 without an offer.

34. smalltowngal

Oct 14, 2008

Its very hard to continue to think positive when you keep getting knocked down. I applied at a daycare today. I'm not sure if its full time or part time or how much they pay, but this is the daycare that my DD went to when I was teaching and so I know many of the teachers and the owner. The owners are a married couple. The husband runs it while the wife is a reading specialist for the district. We'll see if he calls and if its FT or PT and how much they pay. I pretty much have a bank job if I want it; however, its only PT and its only between 9 and 12 hours per week even though I can pick up additional hours up to 30 but it only pays $9/hr. AGH!!! And the PDs that DH is applying for won't even test until Nov.

35. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

MAT, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

STG, so true about staying positive... especially when you feel as though others around you aren't being understanding and supportive. I feel like members of my DH's family (thankfully not my husband) who think there's something wrong with me, that I'm too lazy to go out and seek these jobs. They're all in fields that constantly have openings and not a single one of them had a problem landing a great job.

Anyway, maybe the daycare will be a good opportunity for you. I hope you're called about it!! Would that mean free (or greatly reduced) daycare for your DD?

ETA: Congrats to you, UVA!!! Excellent! :D

36. smalltowngal

Oct 14, 2008

lilmisses-I don't know if it would be free, but it should be reduced.

On another note, has anyone read the post in the behavior management forum? You'll know which one I'm talking about.

37. forensicteacher

forensicteacher Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

I try to stay positive and hopeful in finding a teaching job, but sometimes I feel that nobody wants me or I lack something.
    I sometimes feel mad at the people from my last job (which I resign). I felt the Principal was not supportive at all, she hired a chairperson who was unprofessional and jealous of me and under qualify. This CP was kissing the P's butt so she can do whatever she wanted (and she did). I lost respect of the CP when I noticed that she have no idea what she was doing (CP has no degree in Education), by the way is a private school. The other teachers in my department were new (no education degree also), and they were kissing the CP's butt. THis was my second year and I was the only teacher in my department left from the previous year (since 2 teachers left for public schools and one was not asked back) The CP was mostly communicating more with the other teachers and isolating me. She also was giving me bad reviews on my observation, which she focus on pointless stuff , instead of helping me become a better teacher.(that is when I noticed she was incompetent). When I told the P about it, she immediately defended her and attacked me. I also told the P that I need this CP to back off because I could not do my job. This Cp was telling me in the beginning that I would not finish the curriculum, which I did. When she (CP) knew that I was not coming back, then she was giving me good remarks. I decided to quit, cause I knew that the CP was going to decide for me to not comeback and the P was going to accept that.I couldn't work there anymore, I felt stress from them. No support and I hate coming and seeing this other stupid teachers in my department isolating me. At the end when I told the P I was resigning and told her what was going on with the department she said that it was a good choice for me to leave. I just feel this people that are not qualify won.
    Now I am certify and I have been to 4 interviews and they never called me back. Right now I am going to be tutoring. Hopefully in Feb. I ll find a teaching job.

38. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 15, 2008

I'm trying to keep my spirits up today. I have to-do list for the house. I keep trying to remind myself that I have done all that I can do. I did well in the interview. I've sent a handwritten thank you. There are two elementary positions. If it's meant to be it will be. There is nothing wrong me!!

There is nothing wrong with any of us. Getting a job period is full of politics and popularity contests.

39. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2008

That's exactly what it is - a popularity contest. I have been telling everyone that this year.

Well I hope that you get your list done, because I make one and then I sit here ALL dang day and look for jobs on the internet or I sleep. I have a house full of company this weekend so maybe that will help my motivation to clean house. Of course it is just my MIL and BIL and frankly I don't give a rats behind what they think. (that's whole nother thread) Hubby and I have decided that I am going to start applying out of state. We can afford to move and the kids will adjust. Just think it's two more days until the weekend. I dont know about you guys but the weekends for me are a lot less stressful becuase I know that NO one is getting interviews or jobs during the weekend.

40. smalltowngal

Oct 15, 2008

I did clean the house last night and finished up this morning. I sit here and look for job posting with no success. I try to stay positive, but it is so hard. I get calls to sub at 645 or 700 in the morning and just don't want to get up and face a school and staff that maybe I should be a part of. Is that stupid to think that way?