Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2008

Your turning on the heat and we are still using the air conditioner. i certainly hope that sometime soon it cools down so that I can open the window. ;)

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2008

:p

3. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Oct 1, 2008

Keep your chin up STG!! God is putting you through this for a reason. I went through some dark times and God pulled me through-IN HIS TIME-not mine. Stay positive. You seem like a great person, I know something good will come your way!! :)

4. txmomteacher2

Oct 1, 2008

Well it's official I didn't get the job for the last interview I had last week. It's pretty sad when you have all the qualifications that they ask for and you even know the principal to an extent and you still can't seem to get the job. What in the world do I have to do to get a freaking job. I'm exhausted and I just don't get it. Is there something that I am missing here? My cousin who hates teaching gets a job the minute she walks in the door.(read about in another post) Sorry for the vent!

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 1, 2008

The happy place is Disney World!! I live about 3 hours from it. We're leaving as soon as hubby gets home. I got another rejection today. :( I was expecting it since I've applied at this school for around 10 positions and they never call me back. i even interviewed as a transfer and got rejected.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2008

We were in WDW in August and had a blast!!! Where are you staying?

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 1, 2008

We're staying in Pop!! I've got to finish packing and getting ready to leave. I'm going to go and not think about job hunting till I get back. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E here I come :) :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2008

Have a blast, MAT!!!

Thank you rookie. Things are starting to look up a little here. No news on a teaching position but have an interview tomorrow for a PT admin assistant for a church.

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 2, 2008

I too am having a really down week. I work in a restaurant, and my patience level for that job is quickly dwindling. I have been in the restaurant business for years now... it's what I did to pay my way through school. I never expected that I would still be doing it.

Some days I just scream at myself, "I have a masters degree, why am I still doing this?!"

This job hunt is affecting my life in so many ways. I feel like it is making me really down, affecting me in my personal relationships and at my other job. I'm constantly on edge and on the verge of tears. I'm barely scraping by financially, with no medical insurance, just barely able to pay off my rent and other bills.

10. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

I am so sorry. I don't get it either, but I am sure the right job will come to you one day.
    As far as your cousin who hates teaching is concerned?
    Hey, I hear ya. My resident teacher from last spring, who is in her late 50's, and who has only been teaching for five years hates teaching too. She stands there at the podium day after day teaching grammar and punctuation right out of the book. She loathes literature and yet, she's and English teacher. She also loathes her students and they know it. How did she get a job so fast without any experience? So when I think of all the out of work teachers out there (like you and me) who not only love the students, they love teaching, and who craft beautiful and creative lesson plans, it sort of makes my blood boil.
    Sometimes, life is not fair.

11. inspired

inspired Rookie

Oct 3, 2008

12. txmomteacher2

Oct 3, 2008

If it were only easy to move an entire household that includes 4 kids 2 dogs, the oldest daughter's boy friend and my mother I would apply and move there tomorrow.:(

13. smalltowngal

Oct 5, 2008

MAT-how was Disney? I hope that you were able to enjoy yourself and take your mind off the job search for a few days.

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 6, 2008

It was wonderful except for the part where hubby sprained his knee! Silly, silly, silly, man. I got to push him around in a wheelchair for two days. We had a lot of fun and I didn't miss much of anything job search wise. There were a bunch of positions put up this morning. I have 8 calls to make this morning. They are all full-year positions!!!

I have so much unpacking and laundry to do. Then I need to go grocery shopping. I need a vacation from my vacation.

Have you heard anything about the 6th grade position??

15. smalltowngal

Oct 6, 2008

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about hubby's accident. I'm glad that you were still able to have fun and put the job search aside for a few days, and looked what happened!! I hope that some good news comes out of your phone calls this morning.

Haven't heard anything yet. The principal was just getting back from being out of town last week so I'm sure he's taking care of things from the past few days of school.

16. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 6, 2008

I spent the whole morning reading this thread.....It's good to know I'm not the only one out here!!

Returning to work after working PT and SAHM for 8yrs. Worked last yr as sub in K for 4months (medical leave) for measly sub pay even though did all lesson plan, report cards, testing etc....but I thought I was getting my "foot in the door" so I sucked it up and looked appreciative. REally got my hopes up as teacher I sub'd for really went to bat for me w/ P.

Last week that "door" slammed me in the ass so hard, I haven't been able to sit all week! Last month got invterview for K, but faculty email went out 20 minutes later saying they hired someone else. Went to my kids openhouse that night and everyone gave me their condolences...got letter 2 weeks later.

3rd, 1st, library asst jobs all came up and I pestered for interview but no avail. I volunteer several days a week and when I found out they already hired above I was so embarrassed I hardly made it to car b/f I lost it. Thank goodness for big sunglasses.

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 6, 2008

It really hurts when you believe that something will come along because of your hard work only to not have it happen. There are many florida job seekers here this year. You are not alone. Our state is in a real mess right now. Local school districts are being told to expect further cuts this year and the legislature is doing everything it can to cut class size amendment.

There is nothing wrong you. It sounds like you are "putting your eggs in one basket" with your kids school. Are you subbing at more than one school? Tell every single person you encounter that you are looking for a full-time teaching position. Talk about your experiences. It really does feel like a popularity contest at times.

18. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 6, 2008

Last year I did sub through out the county (SJ) and even Clay but as with teaching jobs, sub jobs are difficult to get here. Ext day for my two was $295/month so I only had to work 4 days to pay for it. This year is is $675/month so I would have to work at least 8 days to just to pay after school. Last year it seemed I spent more than I earned! So this year I'm just doing the local school as my kids hang in my room afterschool.

I'm really praying that the class size amendment doesn't get reversed. Not just a teacher but parent. I feel its my only hope of ever getting a job!

19. smalltowngal

Oct 6, 2008

Well I am all registered for the science certification test and taking it Oct 28 which is earlier than I thought it would.

20. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Oct 6, 2008

Well I had a long talk with hubby tonight and I'm going to get on the ball tomorrow and start applying at preschools. Even though the pay isn't there, I will be teaching. I think I am getting more miserable each day I sit here and hope for something. Financially we can't go with out any longer!! Wish me luck!

I'd thought of adding a middle math certification also. With such dire outlook in florida, do you think it would help??? I have no middle experience, but when I was in college I originally wanted to be a math teacher and I've looked at the sample tests and believe I could pass w/ minimal studing.

21. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 6, 2008

I'm getting ready to take the middle grades integrated curriculum test. Then I could teach all middle school subjects. Most of the openings seem to be in middle school. The state's been trying to destroy class size since it was voted on. It's full implementation has been delayed this year and will most likely be delayed for next year.

I've made it my full-time job to save money and take care of the house since I've been laid off. It helps immensely. I take my day and break it into chunks. This way I feel like I've accomplished something. Come to the boards and vent anytime. We are all here to help each other out. :)

22. txmomteacher2

Oct 6, 2008

I am also going to add to my certification. I am going to take the ESL test soon. My friend that I taught with wants to take it too so we are going to take it together. We are going to wait until my husband goes back to Afghanistan towards the end of the month. Then I might take the 4-8 science test too. I wont ever take the math part. Math is not my best subject and it wouldn't be fair to the kids for me to teach it. They need someone who "loves" math and that aint me. In fact if I ever get back to teaching I really hope it's at a school that co teaches. Of course there are arguments for self contained that I really like too.

23. smalltowngal

Oct 6, 2008

That's exactly why I'm not taking the math portion either.

24. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 7, 2008

Can I just say that sometimes I really hate calling schools? There I said it. My favorite question of the day is "Are you currently employed?" My snarky in-my-head answer is "Would I be applying if I was working?" It seems to make conversations awkward after saying "no."

I have been faxing a whole bunch of cover letters, resumes and philosophy statements today. Time to stop for the day and finish cleaning up. I have a ton of laundry to put away. I really, really, really miss the classroom right now.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2008

Forgive me if I repeat myself endlessly: as a math teacher, I've always had my choice of jobs. As in: have a couple of interviews, and subsequently have to turn down jobs, even in the brutal Long Island job market.

If you're prepared to teach middle or high school, then that math certification is the easiest way to get yourself in front of a classroom.

26. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

Good luck, MATGrad! I am certified in Middle Grades Integrated and it is not a bad test at all. I think the true test is when you get a position, how comfortable would you be teaching one of the four subjects.

27. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

In Florida, Middle Grades Intergrated certification includes Math as well as Science, LA and SS.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2008

uva... sorry to hear your story... I hope you are able to find some outside help, while you are waiting for that great job.

I was there less than 2 months ago... I will remember the churches and agencies that helped me by making donations to them all.

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2008

good luck on the test MAT! I'm with you on the Swiss cheese method for attacking projects. If I tried to get something done in one day, I will hopelessly fail...and maybe make a bigger mess, or get further behind. :woot:

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2008

that reminds me, I was cleaning up a pile of papers... see earlier thread... :rolleyes: and in this pile was a phone number... a child care director who swore up and down she would have a job for me in June. then, she said, she would call me in July.

Hmmmmm. What if I gave up, and didn't pursue any other leads??... :unsure:

31. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 8, 2008

Exactly!! Keep looking and plugging away. Three more teaching positions have opened up in my area. Kind of bad thought is that I'm hoping since we are in October now that most of the people will have given up looking and my competition will have dwindled.

32. smalltowngal

Oct 8, 2008

MAT-If that's a bad thought, then I'm a bad person. :D I'm thinking the same thing! I still haven't heard anything from that principal. I emailed him yesterday to let him know that I would be taking the science test on the 28th. The position is for 6th grade SS/Science, and right now I'm only certified to teach SS in that grade. My hope is that since they don't have a state test in either one of these subjects that I'll be good. But he has to call me!

33. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 8, 2008

Oh my goodness gracious! I have an interview tomorrow. I must now prepare, prepare, prepare. No idea what grade but it's an interview.

34. smalltowngal

Oct 8, 2008

YAY!!!!!!

35. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 8, 2008

Job I interviewed for just came down off the website... guess they found someone.

36. smalltowngal

Oct 8, 2008

:hugs: I'm sorry, UVA. You would think they would have the common courtesy to call to let you know.

37. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 8, 2008

Yea... but I have found most jobs I have interviewed for in this area do not call back if they aren't interested. You find out when the job comes off the website.

38. smalltowngal

Oct 8, 2008

I think in all the interviews I've been on for teaching positions, one principal has called to let me know that I didn't get the job. The others I guess just thought I would know if I didn't get a call, but its still rude.

39. reverie

reverie Companion

Oct 8, 2008

You'd think they'd be courteous since we take that time to go out there and try our hardest in the interview. It's the same with me, STG, I've had five interviews and only two called back.

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2008

go Mat go!
    go Mat go!

I have found and started jobs in Oct., Nov. Jan. and Feb. :)