Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 26, 2008

I hear ya, MAT. The tears seem to come easily lately. All I ever get from anyone is, "Have you found a job yet?" Uh, no, I think I would have mentioned it! I've even been looking outside of teaching but haven't had luck there either. :(

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2008

Huge :hugs: MAT!!! We are in this together because I'm finding it harder and harder to hold it together as well. I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to get out of this waiting. I did talk to the principal's secretary at the neighboring district with the 6th grade position. She said that he hasn't even started the interviewing process and probably wouldn't until next week, probably mid week. I'm going to email him after I see exactly what date the certification test is. And tell him that I have registered to take the science test and want to interview for the position. I haven't had a teaching interview since beginning of Sept. Getting.really.depressed.

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 26, 2008

Sending some hugs your way too. I'm off to the library now. Time to return some books and get some new ones. I got a really good one waiting for me about election politics.

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 26, 2008

I hate how everything has to be so frustrating!! My dream district doesn't have any openings right now, and another district is still waiting for funding before they can say whether or not they have openings. I'm wondering if this is all worth being separated hundreds of miles from my husband... our anniversary is coming up soon and I don't even have the money to buy him a nice gift. :(

5. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 26, 2008

I wonder ,with all the problems with administrators,paper work,misbehaving children.parents and so on that you read about and experience in teaching today,do people teach because they really love the job or do they teach because they have no other alternative.

6. smalltowngal

Sep 26, 2008

For me Yank, it really is because I love teaching. I can't see myself doing anything else, and I have thought about getting out of the profession and nothing else appeals to me.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2008

I think considering everything going on these days... when I realize what I do, I am glad...

I couldn't imagine working in a bank now. Am I wrong to say I am glad Washington Mutual fell apart?? They put me in checksystems!!!!!

Uh... does this mean if they go out of business when Chase takes over... that may drop off?? ;)

8. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 26, 2008

Sorry MPK but no, checksystem is a reporting agency that works sort of like the credit report in that it can give a financial institution background information concerning your overdrafts. Hopefully, it has not kept you from being able to open another checking account.
    P.S. How are things in pre-k land?

9. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 26, 2008

:eek:HEY!!!-Lilmisses,
    What happened to the pig?
    I miss him.:(

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 26, 2008

For me it is because I have an absolute passion for it. I am constantly trying to brainstorm ways to help the students. I do know of the person who is only teaching because it's the only thing they can do with themselves. It's written all over their faces.

The thought of having to return to corporate fills me with dread. There is no creativity. There are no minds to inspire. There is only profit to make and orders to follow.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2008

And...everything is about sales. Sell this, sell that. Add the protection plan. I would have been content as a customer service rep (part time) and a sub during the day. I like helping people, solving problems, and looking up info, etc. I do not like trying to sell stuff to every single person who calls, especially when they are mad, sad, older..and I can tell they don't neeed nothing elese!

12. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 26, 2008

I'm sorry! I thought I'd put up a wedding pic since 1) it's autumn, 2) my second anniversary is coming up, and 3) it's happy. :)

For you, though, I'll put him back up. Then maybe I'll switch back to the obligatory "hands linked to show the rings on top of the bridal bouquet" shot. :D

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2008

pre-k land....a mixture of kids who talk too much and those who don't talk at all!

biggest issue...the aide from "I could be A Teacher" land, who is not a teacher, and the people who keep telling me we are a team. I can't give her anything to do without her questioning me, trying to change it, add on to it, buy something else to go with it. I don't know what she thinks my bank accounts look like, but needless to say...I got just enough to keep the accounts open!

I can't stress this enough guys...believe something good will come your way...and in the meantime, go to those garage sales, pick up stuff that is ridiculously low priced, and build up your hope chest of things for your class...because I tell you, when you get the job, you will have to try so hard to get that classroom together, knowing you will probably spend that first check on bills, food, gas, who knows!

and it is crazy...it's like moving into your first aparment, or new house, and you still have newspaper in the windows. I think that's why they came up with those cool paper shades. Because people don't have the time or money to get real curtains, shades or blinds yet...and don't want to look tacky with the newspaper... but that's all you can do!

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2008

awwww I missed it! can I see it again???

congrats on your anniversary!

It's good to be happy!

Find happiness where it is, and stay there for awhile!

going to make a big breakfast, and make myself happy...

15. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Oh, lilmisses,
    Thanks so much:hugs:
    Happy Anniversary-hope you and your husband have a wonderful day, celebrating your love for each other.:love:
    P.S. does he know how lucky he is?:)

16. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

I'd love to work with you!:hugs:

Hang in there buddy, it will get better. :love:

17. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Hello All,
    I can't believe this thread is still alive. I feel guilty because I haven't posted here for awhile. I started this thread and I am really glad to see that is helping so many that are going through or went through this horrible thing called trying to land a full time teaching job. Wow, who thought it would be this hard. :banghead:
    I have been reading through most of the posts recently and my heart truly goes out to all of you struggling or depressed. Master Pre-K, I am so sorry to hear about you mom. That must be extremely difficult--I don't know if I could ever be able to handle that--Be Strong!
    SpedTeach--I feel for you. I am special ed also and I thought I would really have an easier time getting something. I finally did but it wasn't easy. Since you are special ed get out there and start making connections. Most districts in my area are hurting for homebound teacher especially in special ed. That's how I made the connections I needed to get a job. Good luck to you.

You all are in my thoughts. I hope it comforts some of you to know that people out there really care about what your going through!!

18. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Hey SpedTeach--just read in another post that you did get a job as a Resource teacher--same as me!! CONGRATS!!!

19. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

Hugs to you MAT, from one Floridian to another. I have decided to Sub. :( I am biting my tongue accepting an $11 something an hour job that will undoubtedly give me an ulcer. But hey, I have to make ends meet. I am still looking for a full-time job but at this point I am not that hopeful. Most Principals do not even reply to my resume. I do not even get rejections - no acknowledgements.

Even though I have my Bachelors degree and SOE in three areas, I still have to pay for and go to Substitute Teacher training at Broward College in Broward County. I think teaching is the only profession where we have to pay in thousands of dollars just to get a job.

Hugs and luck going your way, MAT.

20. smalltowngal

Sep 28, 2008

Well, I have decided that this is going to be a positive week for both me and my DH. I have contacted a P in a neighboring district about a job and am waiting for his response. I'm taking a certification test next month in Science so hopefully that will get me a job mid year. If nothing comes fof this, then I will get a job at a daycare if need be.

21. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 28, 2008

Positive thoughts are better anyways. This is the only profession that I know of that requires its employees to pay for things required to work.

$11 an hour to sub? That's much more than I would get ($9/hour or $65/day). My full-time job right now is saving money. I'm getting really good at it. My weekly grocery bill for two adults is around $45/week. When I find my happy little school, I hope to keep it up. It's a lot of work but somehow we are managing to have savings. In the last four months, I've managed to save around $1500. I can't figure out how but I'm not questioning it. Perhaps that was the plan from above all along was to teach me how to be more miserly in my ways. Ok, lesson learned. Now can I have a classroom again?

22. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

MPK: Here ya go! Thanks for the happy anniversary wishes! It's not until the 14th, but we're going to celebrate early since we won't get to see each other on the actual day.

[​IMG]

Other than the crazy aide, I hope things are going well with the new job! However, I am sorry about the news of your mother. My grandmother had Alzheimer's and I have no idea how my mom managed to work full-time, take care of my grandmother (who lived with us), and take care of her family. I'll be thinking of you! :hugs:

Beth... awwww!! Thank you so much!! :hugs: :wub:

smalltowngal, I hope this is a positive week for both you and your DH! All crossables are crossed!! :)

MAT, loads of luck to you, too!! I'm impressed with your money management and am totally using you as my inspiration!! DH and I live well below our means, but it still seems so hard to save. I hope you get your happy little classroom soon!!!

Almost... I feel sick to my stomach when my husband and I look at our future expenses for him. Anyway, loads of luck to you too, timsterino; I'm sure it was hard for you to go into subbing again, but hopefully this time it does lead to something full-time. :)

23. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

I thought for sure that by now I'd find some science position, even a long term sub something or another... I certainly didn't think it'd be Sunday night and it'd be late with me and SoCo...

Seriously, I've got a position that pays fairly decent - better than the Burger King I thought I'd be stuck with =P It's not a teaching position, but it does involve tutoring, and I've had my first student attain high school proficiency, which makes me feel amazingly good. I have some students that drive me 120% up the wall, and a few that make it seem all worth it.

I'm still looking, still studying, and still hoping - but things are tough enough right now that I've officially joined the R,T,&D club...

Here's hoping that many of our inaugural members have already found fruitful positions, and that the rest of us find something worthwhile soon...

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2008

I do have accounts, but it keeps me from getting better ones without fees.

I'm writing to checksystems and telling them since WaMu went belly up, they should take me outta their account!

what do I have to lose besides .42 ??

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2008

lilmisses...your picture is beautiful, absolutely gorgeous!!!. :)

I'm over here humming The Carpenters..."We've Only Just Begun"

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2008

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2008

thanks Rookie..and everyone else for kind thoughts and letting me vent about my Mom...

take care everybody... good night!

28. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 28, 2008

Totally hear on the "hospitality club." Hubby's school doesn't do that and everytime I turn around it's $5 here, $5 there. so and so's doing some charity walk and looking for sponsors. I told him to just say "no." I'm out of work and we need every penny that I can save.

food tips: www.hillbillyhousewife.com
    saving money with coupons www.hotcouponworld.com (I have not actually paid for things like soap, shampoo, deodorant, razors, sponges, detergent in a year)
    http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ ~ get food boxes for cheap. no income requirements. lots of people doing it just for the savings

Controlling food and entertainment costs is the key IMHO to saving money. Cash only of course! The library is your friend. Get rid of cable tv. Clean out the house and have a garage sale. Line dry clothes if you can. To make clothes soft toss them in the dryer for a few minutes. Oh man I really need to stop. I could go on for quite some time.

29. smalltowngal

Sep 29, 2008

{{{positive thoughts}}}
    {{{positive thoughts}}}
    {{{positive thoughts}}}
    {{{positive thoughts}}}
    {{{positive thoughts}}}
    {{{positive thoughts}}}

30. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 29, 2008

I had another interview on Friday, and now get to play the waiting game. I sent an email to the principal after the interview to thank him, and got a response this morning... "Thank you for sharing your expertise with us." What's that supposed to mean?! I know he has some interviews this week, and I just don't want to have to wait... and I'm not sure I can handle the disappointment of another rejection.

31. smalltowngal

Sep 29, 2008

At least some of us are still getting interviews!!

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 29, 2008

Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Dow dropped 778 points today!!!
    No calls and no new jobs today. :( I spent the day clipping coupons.

33. smalltowngal

Sep 29, 2008

What do you think about that MAT? I don't have any interest in the Dow because I don't have any investments. My retirement (what little I've acquired) isn't in a 401k or investments. Its a sad state of affairs that we're in or getting ourselves into.

Bread and water are looking pretty good right now.

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2008

be positive... the old me would say you did some freelance consultanting without pay! :rolleyes:

the new me says... they were impressed...

Expect a yes, until they say no... my new slogan...

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2008

keep at least 50-100 bucks in travelers checks or cash...

we don't want to be paranoid...but...who knows what will happen with the banks and the ATM cards, and credit cards...

If Amercian Express goes down..it will affect the entire world of travel! So I hope they are stable

I am also buying savings bonds - the govt should still be able to honor those!!!

:unsure:

36. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 29, 2008

All I can say is thank goodness for the FDIC. This is why 401k's are not a good thing. Let's say you're retired and pulling from these investments right now. What do you do?

37. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 30, 2008

I'm going to the happy place tomorrow :) Maybe while I'm away I'll get some calls. Positive thinking, positive thinking....

38. smalltowngal

Sep 30, 2008

What's the happy place? This was going to be a positive week for me, but its only Tue and those positive thoughts are fading fast. DH applied for a local PD. They have one spot open on their academy, but won't find out until the end of Oct/beg of Nov. He's also thinking of signing up for the Air National Guard as he'd get a signing bonus. Soooooo again its a wait and see. That 6th grade position is still posted, but I haven't heard anything back from the principal. :(

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2008

tell me about the happy place. This is the 1001st post to this thread!! We may all need to visit it!!

I can't believe it's Sept. 30th and I turned on the heat tonight! I don't ever remember worrying about heat so early in the fall. Of course, I never had to turn it on either. Funny being a homeowner, and having control over your own heat. After 1 year, still seems weird.

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2008

Hey, here's some happy news....

both the Cubs and the White Sox are in the playoffs!!

Who saw that coming?

I don't think that has ever happened before! :D