Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 18, 2008

That sounds promising smalltowngal!

Beth we haven't seen you in a while!

2. KAM

KAM Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

Good luck smalltowngal. Hope something opens up for you soon.

3. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

Hi STG and MAT,
    I am ok. Really, I mean it, I am.... I sort of feel like I am slowly coming out of a state of shock or hibernation-like I was existing on auto-pilot, do you know what I mean? Anyway, after a lot of objective reflection, I reached the conclusion that I have only received a couple of interviews because I am not the most qualified person out there. Granted, I am more qualified than some other candidates but there are many more that have the reading endorsements etc. which I am lacking. With that, I came to realize that I needed to stop wondering "why don't I have a job" and do something about it. I enrolled in the university that is within walking distance from my house to start getting the necessary courses.(because I came to grips with all this so late-I could only get into one class this semester).I also signed up for subbing. I subbed in my town's high school and a nearby middle school-Well, I loved it. The kids were so different from the middle school that I taught in last year. These kids are quiet, respectful, do their work and a pleasure to be with. I can't believe how I was killing myself last year to try and teach kids who really were not even required to behave. What a joke that school's administration was. So glad I am out of there.
    I also took (and passed)the FTCE-professional and the reading k-12 sae test(passed that one,too)I took the English 6-12 but won't get the results until mid Oct.(pretty sure I passed that one as well.)A couple of issues still going on with my daughter.(did you see the thread I posted?) She was placed in intensive reading yet every year she has gotten a 4 or a 5 on the fcat. And her teacher just contacted me with the results of her diagnostics that they took about two weeks ago-she's reading on a 12th grade level!-(I may go back and update that thread because the laws that govern the FCATS really need to be rethought or something)Anyway, I am getting myself together and feeling much better about life and stuff. I know that I would not have gotten out of that bad place that I was in if it had not been for the unwavering kindness and support of you two and all the other friends that I have been lucky enough to talk withhere-Somehow, I just don't think that my words adequately describe my gratitude but this is the truth-when I did feel like it did not matter to anyone in the world if I was alive or dead, I knew that it would matter to you guys. Crazy isn't it.....especially since you may never have found out but that's what I mean when I say I was in a bad place. It is really nice to breath again.I know that this is really long and full of parenthesis and commas and lots of other errors-sorry, I just wanted to let you know how much you mean to me.:love:Beth

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2008

Beth-I'm happy to hear that you are in a better place. I understand what you mean that words cannot adequately describe your gratitude because I feel the same way about yall! My masters classes are getting me through the bad times because it renews my confidence that I am a good teacher and know what I'm talking about (which is something that I've struggled with inside myself). I also have a very supportive husband that is willing to go anywhere I can get a job which is the only reason why I'm applying to NC which is keeping my spirits up as well. I have two emails out to principals about school secretarial positions here in my town. One principal emailed me back saying that he would be in touch this week to schedule an interview, and the other principal hasn't gotten back to me, but I only emailed her on Friday so she didn't have much time. I have come to the realization that God is waiting to give me the job that I will be in for awhile and not just have to settle because my two years of teaching have been at two different schools, different districts. I just want to be in a school where I'm going to be for several years, whether that's in TX or NC.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 21, 2008

Good to know your doing well Beth :) This is the only place that keeps me sane.

I just got my latest "The reading teacher" in the mail. It had an article on poetry and fluency. I was reminded that I do that in my teaching. I do have good strategies! I was looking through my class' FCAT scores from last year and remembered on how much progress they made. I am a good teacher. I may not have 20 years experience but I do have a master's degree. No one can ever take that away!

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 22, 2008

Very, very, very upset today! My checking account is tied to a money market fund. With all of the turmoil in the markets, my account was wiped! 1800 gone in a day. I called the bank which assured me that my money would be recovered. They had put in for redemptions before the crash but were halted. I'll get the money back in seven days but still it's so aggravating. What's the next shoe to drop??

7. smalltowngal

Sep 22, 2008

:eek:hmy: MAT!! We just have a regular checking and savings account. I've been wary of getting a money market account for that reason. I hope that everything straightens out.

A 6th grade position just posted for a neighboring district!!!!!!!! It's a good district, the grade I want, not sure about what subject it's for though. I emailed the principal and he's been good about responding to my emails in the past so we'll see what happens with this position!

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 22, 2008

That's a good sign!! Two ESE positions went up this morning. One is for "medically fragile students." The other is a second grade SLD position (which I have experience in). Perhaps they may like me, I mean really, really like me..he he he he.

9. smalltowngal

Sep 22, 2008

WOOHOO!! Our times just might be coming!! What exactly is SLD? Is ESE special ed in Florida?

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 22, 2008

SLD- Specific Learning Disabilities. ESE is special education. I don't have much hope because this is a school I interviewed at last year as a transfer and was rejected.

11. smalltowngal

Sep 22, 2008

Don't take that attitude!!!! If you have interviewed with them before, I'm sure that remember you. Maybe at that time someone with more qualifications got that position. It could be that this time around YOU are the one with the most qualifications. You did apply though right? :D

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 22, 2008

Of course I applied!! Hubby says I should drive over and nag them tomorrow. He says I should walk in and say "Hi I'm MAT! I'm a teacher certified in special education, elementary education and have an ESOL endorsement. I have my master's degree, perviously taught third, second and elementary music. I had 100% of my students receive grade-level scores in reading in math and can start today."

Then again I do think he is a little nuts sometimes. Right now I am sipping hot chocolate with lots of yummy marshmallows. On the other hand, they could just see that as obnoxious. My try at the more aggressive approach just resulted in quicker rejections.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2008

It may sound like a crazy idea ... but why not take a walk on the wild side? Worse case, you'll have a great story to tell at cocktail parties ... or maybe hubby is on to something (mine is actually right on occasion) ...

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 23, 2008

I back from being crazy! They looked at me like I had two heads. :lol::lol: The P was actually kind of miffed that I decided to just walk in. He said that he had to review the applications and that he was too busy to talk with me and in the future I should call before requesting to see him. He was not nice at all about it.:dizzy: On the plus side, I did have an excuse to get out of the house today and get dressed up. Nothing new today. I know that one of the possible LTS positions had her baby but it's not up yet.

15. smalltowngal

Sep 23, 2008

That principal doesn't know what he's missing!! Tomorrow when I go in, I'm just going to say "Hi, my name is STG. I'm interested in the 6th grade position. I'm certified 4-8 English/Reading/SS. Here is my resume and a brochure about me for your consideration. Thank you!"

If the teacher had her baby, then why hasn't the LTS been posted?

16. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 23, 2008

They are on a delay. It saves money. Sounds like a good plan :)
    Gray skys are gonna clear up put on your happy face!

17. smalltowngal

Sep 23, 2008

Love that song, MAT!

We just can't seem to catch a break here! Both of us are applying to jobs like crazy and not even getting an interview. DH thinks that we should just pack up and leave here and move to NC and start all over. I'm really starting to think that that wouldn't be such a bad idea. With the response that I've gotten from schools in NC, it seems like I might have a better shot at getting a job there than if I were to stay here. DH could easily get a job as a surveyor out there and the area where we're looking has a lot of companies. So close to moving....

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 24, 2008

I would be outta here in a heartbeat if it wasn't for hubby. Official word came out in the paper today. One district is doing a reduction in force. ARGH!! Will I ever catch a break??

19. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

I am ready to leave Florida myself. I just can not take it anymore. I need to do something before all of our savings are depleted and moving looks like the best and only option.

But to where? Any suggestions?

20. smalltowngal

Sep 24, 2008

You can come to NC with me tim, just make sure you stay away from my area. ;)

MAT-that stinks!! What the heck is going on in FL? It looks like I might be taking a part time position just to have a job so we can move because we have to have a job before moving. Please pray that DH gets good news tomorrow, as in he's hired at the PD. :)

21. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 24, 2008

MAT if i was the principal i would have thought it was great of you to be so brave and come in and meet me. They truly dont know what they are missing.

22. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 24, 2008

Thanks kinderkc!! I keep plugging along. I know God has a plan for me. I just he would clue me into that occasionally.

23. smalltowngal

Sep 24, 2008

I think the same thing MAT. I know that I just need to rely on Him, but then if I don't do anything I feel guilty. I know that He'll put me in a position I'm supposed to be in for a long haul. I just have to learn patience and not get so frustrated because its not happening right now.

24. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 25, 2008

He was MIFFED!:mad: I'll show him miffed; I'm MIFFED that he was too arrogant to see the wonderful teacher that was standing right in front of him-Hey, does anyone remember that hysterical woman who offered to key somebody's car? I say we go get her to show that p what someone should get miffed about. :D MAT, I know the right job will come along for you.:hugs:

25. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 25, 2008

You guys rock!! A fourth grade position went up today. I called a contact I had at the school and asked her to put in a good word for me. Still haven't heard anything about the leave positions. I called some people and left messages. I will have to wait a couple of days before I do anything else. It's a relatively cool morning so I am off to clean-out my garage.

26. smalltowngal

Sep 25, 2008

:lol: Beth!!

MAT-It's nice to hear that you still have positions coming up. The 6th grade position I applied for is actually a SS/Science. The P was looking through my materials, emailed me asking if I had science cert (which I don't!) so there goes any chance of that job being mine. :mad:

27. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 25, 2008

That stinks!!! :(

My garage and closets are now organized. I just hope the garbage men pick up all the stuff next to the curb.

28. smalltowngal

Sep 25, 2008

Our realtor came by today so DH and I were cleaning like crazy this morning. I don't think our house has been this clean for awhile. We still have to steam clean the carpets though. If we do move, I'm really going to miss this house. :(

29. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 25, 2008

I would love to get rid of my house! We paid 130,000 for it two years ago. Today the tax bill says its worth 90,000. ARGH!!!!!

30. smalltowngal

Sep 25, 2008

We were surprised when she told us how much it would be. We paid $122,000 2 years ago, she said she was going to put it on the market for $142,500.

31. Amberlyn_00

Amberlyn_00 New Member

Sep 25, 2008

I agree. :) I've had a pretty depressing summer of interviews..but I keep going to school with a smile :) :) knowing if I keep meeting people and keep talking, people will remember me and I'll eventually find "the one" job I was meant for :)

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 25, 2008

Feeling pretty low tonight. I got a call to pick up some pictures that I had forgotten about. I go pick them up and they're pictures of my class from last year. Pictures of the living museum, math jamminators projects, science experiments and field day. I could barely look at them. I was blessed with an amazing class that learned so much. Why can't I find a happy little school that will be happy to have me?

What did I go back to school to for? So P's can be ticked that I took initiative to try for an interview. To go on interviews and be made to feel like an imbecile because of non-renewal. To get the "Dear Jane Doe" rejection letters.

I can't bring myself to sub anymore. I did it for two years. It was thankless. I got no respect from students, teachers or admins. It did not open doors for me.

Sorry for my rambling but I don't think that I will get a teaching position this year. I'm trying to scrape the funds together to finish my reading endorsement. Reality is really settling in for me. Good night ladies and gentleman.

33. smalltowngal

Sep 25, 2008

MAT-I'm feeling pretty low myself as well. I have done everything that I can think of and more to get a job around here. Nothing is working! I sometimes think that its me, and begin to wonder what is wrong with me. But then I'm taking a masters class and the professor constantly tells me how well I'm doing and that I'm right on track and he'd love to be a student in my class. Why can't principals see that? What do I need to make sure that they see what my prof sees? That is what is keeping me going right now. I know from what I read in my masters classes and the responses I get from my dicussions that I'm doing the right thing regarding education and once a principal takes a chance on me, then I will show them how passionate I am about teaching and good I really am.
    This sucks that we're going through this, but we can build each other up until we get jobs.

34. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2008

Ok I have to join this club today. Actually I could have and should have joined long ago but you can't be "cured" until you admit you have a problem. Anyway I was IMing my cousin who is a teacher but working in another profession because she left teaching about 2 years ago because she just couldn't stand teaching. Anyway a little background. She graduated the December before I did. She got a job mid term, which I know it can be done but is usually hard pressed. Anyway she taught 1/2 year and HATED it. She and her hubby move to another state. When they moved she decided not to teach. Anyway fast forward a few years. Hubby and her get a divorce she moves back to Texas. Has one interview at one school gets the job. leaves at the end of the year, well is not asked back. Anyway the other day we were IMing and I found a job announcement at a charter school for her certs. So I tell her about it. She applies, she gets the freaking job. BTW we don't have the same certs. Anyway she is a self proclaimed hater of teaching who only wants to teach because yes it is a better pay check. Has never stayed at a school more than one year. Every interview she has ever gone on she gets the job. I on the other hand, love teaching, love the kids and really want to be teaching and not just for the paycheck can't find a job to save my life. I have been on at least 9 interviews this year and just can't seem to get over the hump of the interview. I just want to know when is the insanity of this all going to end.

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2008

Just passing thru. Been reading along. Checking in to see how everyone is doing. Sorry to hear about all the ups and downs. Hope things get better real soon.

I am trying desperately to keep my sanity. My mom is losing hers, so I guess the rest of the family has to lose ours also in the process. She is having trouble in the nursing home. Starting to lose her memory, and feeling a bit paranoid. Calls all of us all day, saying she needs us! I am so upset because I love my parents dearly, but I need this job! I am afraid when she calls, I don't know what to do because I can't tell if she is really in trouble or just calling because she is lonely. I thought about taking off a day twice to go check on her. I keep visiting, and things are okay, but she calls all hours of the day, and leaves me frightning messages... ("I am really sick, please come help me.") and I call and even call the nurses and nothing is wrong...

I can't get myself all worked up about this, and depressed. When I check my messages, I get all upset hearing what she says.

When I was off all summer...this didn't happen at all... Now I finally found a job, and I can't afford to get upset and take time off to rush out to see my mom...when I realize nothing is really wrong..except she wants attention. It is heartbreaking. :(

36. smalltowngal

Sep 25, 2008

txmomteacher-that stinks! I had a friend that got a job mid year, taught for one more year then opened up her own preschool in a neighboring town. So I know getting hired mid year is doable. People like your cousin really upset me. There are genuine teachers out here that are passionate about teaching that don't have jobs because of people like your cousin, only in it for the paycheck and get "lucky". (no offense to your cousin)

37. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 25, 2008

Txmom- How frustrating! She must be good at "bs-ing" ppl to get a job so easy!!! Not fair!

MasterPre-k- How upseting. I know thats a hard situation.

38. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2008

Small- no offense taken I'm kind upset by the whole thing too. Well she must have gotten the bs-ing genes from our dad's side of the family.

39. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 26, 2008

People like that irritate the "shillalies" out of me. It's like that in every profession. The people with true passion get their teeth knocked in on a daily basis while BS artists are rewarded. There should be classes on "BSing your way into a job."

I found out earlier that one of the LTS positions is not going to be posted since it's only 6 weeks. The kids will have a long-term sub rather than a certified teacher to save money. It's now been one month since my last interview.

I can barely sleep at night now. I get about 5 hours a night then I can't sleep anymore. Unfortunately unless I was able to sub every, single day the unemployment still pays more money. If I work and make more than $45, I start to lose benefits. How does that encourage me to work???

Maybe I should start my own charter school! First rule AtoZ members get hired first. Second rule: I don't care how long you've been teaching or who you know. If you have no passion, sorry I'm not hiring you.

40. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 26, 2008

Just got bad news. The other leave position is gone. They ended up doing another reduction in force. :(

I'm having the hardest time holding it together. I want nothing more than to just curl up, feel sorry for myself and cry my eyes out.