Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

:) I am positive that positive people positively helps you stay positive!

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

thoughts are always better kept in our heads...as it is so easy to let them turn into words...

and who knows what words will follow...after those you are now thinking!

I never know what to say when I am waiting, and somebody walks in after me, and they call them. But I was at IHOP pancakes the other day, and it happened. I'm seated, waiting, 2 people come in, then some more, then two guys come and the waitress went over and start chatting in another language, and BAM! I snapped.

Excuse me, but are you MY waitress?

Uh, no, I think she is off.

Silence and cold stare.

But..uh, um.. I could take your order.

(hmmph! I think to myself. Yeah, you could..and if I didn't say anything ...you were starting to take theirs!)

I knew what they were saying!

3. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Yup!:)
    And your thoughts, too!:D

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

Ok Beth! Well, let's get some good thoughts for this weekend!

I finished my paper for last week's grad class. I will go to class this week...I needed a break. My friend told me prof. kept them all the way to the last minute! sheesh! good thing I didn't go. I was a zombie last week.

If anybody tells you that pre-k teachers are just babysitters, lemmme at 'em!

Any news on long term subbing jobs? What about part time work with Tutor Time, Sylvan and Huntington and/or Kukumon tutorin??

Anyone considered tutoring in your home or meet in local library? Cash money, no taxes, work your own hours.

5. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Hey MPK-
    Well, I have come to the realization(through the reading of your posts as well as those of all the other extremely qualified teachers) that simply because I have a little bit of experience and a little bit of education, I do not have enough of either to guarantee me a teaching position in this economy. Therefore, my next course of action is to get those much needed classes under my belt-I enrolled in a local university(a stone's throw from our house) for the five courses that are required to get my professional license. I was late so I can only take one this fall and hopefully finish up the other four in the spring and summer. I applied for subbing in the local middle and high schools in my area and I am taking the English 6-12 this Saturday. My game plan is to continue to apply and hopefully get a full time position but in the meantime try to spend my time wisely.
    I am thrilled that you are enjoying your position. (I feel that I have so many friends here and so often I find myself thinking of things like-I wonder how things are going for MPK and her aide? or I wonder if STG heard anything about her job? or how is MAT doing or is lillmisses piggy gaining any weight? I even worry that run with sissors might do just that and hurt herself or cut and glue might make a mess:lol: Anyway, the point is, to quote an old tv show-sometimes you wanna go where everyone knows your name! Thanks to all of you(and the ones I neglected to mention) for being there for me.
    :love:Beth

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

awwwww!

If didn't pay one bill all last summer, I made sure I paid the cable people, so I wouldn't lose my internet...and my friends here at AtoZ!!

and I am doing very well with my aide...

this is very good...

Glad to hear you are making positive moves Beth! You are getting yourself ready for the next level of your game!

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Awwww... you're sweet!

Sadly, no.

GUESS WHAT?!? I received another rejection letter! :woot:

It was from a school I visited at the beginning of August. The letter was dated August 28th, and I received it today. Anyway, the letter reads:

Dear Applicant

Thank you for your interest in the position at Elementary School That Ignored You. At this time, the position has been filled. (Noooooooo! Really?!?) Your resume will remain on file and I will be happy to consider you for future positions.

Best wishes in your career endeavors. Loser.

Sincerely,

Principal

Okay, I added the "loser" at the end again. Anyway, this school has a position open that was listed on Friday. I'm thinking about emailing the principal about it, but should I attach my resume even though she claims it's on file? For all I know she's referring to the circular file. The position I applied for was filled before they posted it, which I didn't know. Anyway, it's considered a bit of a no-no to email the principals directly, but at this point what do I have to lose? And for all I know, they already filled the position.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2008

lilimisses... write a letter, and then put it in your circular file...

at this point.. it is a done deal, and you don't want to look like a borderline stalker. I went to a store the other day, and asked a lady for some scrap paper. She mumbled she would check with her manager, and then asked for my name and number. But she was so cold and callous about it, I knew she had absolutely no intention of giving her manager my info.

Honestly, I would have felt better if she just said no.

Keep trying my friend.

And nobody can say 'loser' in this thread again! If you do, you must make up 25 sentences with the word.

you get my drift...

you will start making negative sentences and feel worse...and see that you have to stop this cycle of frustration.

take the 'l' out of loser.

rearrange the letters.

tell me what you have.

9. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

rose?

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2008

sore?

11. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

eros?

12. smalltowngal

Sep 6, 2008

orse? ores??

13. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

can we add an o? Oreos!!
    Oh, I love them:)

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 7, 2008

oreos are good :) Doing ok here. I'm getting all prepped for my interview on Wednesday. My biggest dilemma is what to wear. I might also have a lead on a leave position that should come up in the next week.

How about some oreos dipped in chocolate with a glass of bailey's?

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 10, 2008

So who's still on the hunt?

I still am. My interview went ok. They said they were looking for someone with experience working with adults though :(

16. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 10, 2008

:| Unfortunately, I still am. I have basically given up all hope for this year. I feel just like this smiley, :beatdeadhorse: when it comes to my job hunt.
    It is official, I GIVE UP!

17. smalltowngal

Sep 10, 2008

I'm still hunting as well. I still haven't heard anything from the 4th grade position. I have a feeling that one day this week, I'm going to go on the website and see that it has been taken down and yet I didn't even get an interview. I'm starting to apply to places outside of education.

And if I don't get this 4th grade position (or interview) then I'm seriously considering just moving to NC w/o any care!

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 10, 2008

A new fourth grade went up here as well. I applied for it but I'm taking my math 6-12 certification test next month. I should have done SLP.

19. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

Still looking. I am in my third straight week of trying to get in contact with one district's HR office. I showed up last week, but the director acted like she didn't remember me. Anyway, I took care of my paperwork to sub for them while there, but when I try to sign into the sub services online I can't get through. So, basically one of them screwed something up... and when I try to get through to get it fixed, no one can tell me anything except, "You need to fill out the paperwork." Umm... I did. Everything is filled out, you have all of my information, I have done everything on my end and it's now YOUR turn to do your job!

I was contacted by my dream school for an interview for a third grade position. Unfortunately, I was tutoring at the time, so I missed the call. I returned the call first thing the next morning, but was told the P and AP were not in the office and getting ready for student arrival. When I wasn't called back after a while, I called again. I explain who I am and why I'm calling and the (very nice) secretary very apologetically tells me that the position was filled.

I sent an email to the P and AP at the insistence (and persistence...) of my husband, inquiring as to what had happened. The AP (the one who called me the day before) called me back to apologize and explain what happened-- this was before she checked her email. Sooooo, turns out they had offered the position to another person over a week ago (before school started). This {expletive deleted} took her grand old time getting back to the district, so the school assumed she wasn't interested and posted the opening online. I guess the {expletive deleted} saw "her" job posted online and around 9AM that morning-- the morning I was supposed to interview-- HR called the school to inform them that the {expletive deleted} accepted the job.

So, on the upside, the AP called me back to explain and apologize; I could tell she felt very bad on the phone. I was told that they were very impressed with me at my last interview (in June) and are definitely going to keep me in mind for future positions... and that they are going to have future openings. If there is such a thing as a "perfect dream school", this one is it.

But it still sucks having to start from scratch with my job search... :(

Oh, and if a school as wonderful as this one offers you a job-- freaking take it! I can understand holding off on a accepting a job offer if you're waiting on another school during the summer, but when the school year has already started (and you were offered the job BEFORE the students' first day), show some freaking courtesy to other job seekers! I hope she's given the boot...

20. smalltowngal

Sep 10, 2008

Wow, that sux. lilmisses!!

21. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

:sorry:lilmisses, Maybe something will come up and you can still work at that school. Good luck.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

oh no!

Sorry, I have been busy! But Beth was right! You are not a loser, you are a rose. Don't wilt on us! C'mon, all you need is a little sunlight and water and that stuff in those little packets..uh..plant food!

I say, as long as there are kids...there are still leads... did you see this?

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=68150

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=67016&page=2

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

Ugh, tell me about it! I'm sorry you haven't heard anything about the 4th grade position! :( Have you tried calling or emailing the P? Keep us posted.

Thanks, teachinLA. I hope something does. The AP said that they anticipate openings this year. Maybe the woman who decided after nearly 2 weeks to accept the position will be fired. One can only dream... :angel: :whistle:

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

well, not to cave in...but do build your contingency plan. fill up your cabinets and cubboards with can goods, beans and dry goods.

take out your iron, and stop spenidng money at the cleaners.

but do try to save up things for your grade level. maybe inspire yourself to build the dream classroom. put away somethings, and then pay some bills.

and yes....pay yourself..whatever you get this is the rainy day everyone has tod you about.

gifts
    part time job
    unemployment?

25. smalltowngal

Sep 10, 2008

Well, I emailed the principal last week when the job posted. I will call tomorrow to ask about the interviewing/hiring timeline.

26. smalltowngal

Sep 11, 2008

Okay, can I just get some rum please? I subbed in the MS that is like 5 minutes from my house, a school that I have applied to many times in the past two years and have yet to get an interview. It is definitely a GREAT school! The teachers are great, the students are good, and the atmosphere is great. I was helping out a teacher during the teacher's conference period, and another teacher (obviously new to the school) kept saying how things were at her old district. Every other thing that came out of her mouth had to do with how things were at her old district. I wanted to scream!!! If that old district was so great, then you shouldn't have come here and taken a job that could have possibly gone to me!

27. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 12, 2008

I really hate that grass is greener on the other side garbage. I knew a school that hired one teacher, who they thought was the stuff of greatness, they treated the other teacher like garbage. Other teacher gets transfer to new school. The one they thought was great walked in on the first day of planning and quit! They were left with no teachers.

Some of my contacts have called me about leave positions. Perhaps those will pan out. The money would be really nice since they just give you outright rather than trying to stretch it so you get money over the summer.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

I like districts that pay 12 months vs 10. It is too hard waiting for that first check.

well, it's too hard for me to wait for any check.

I was so close to having my car repo'd, it was scarry!

29. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 17, 2008

No news on anything! I emailed the P's about the leave positions but haven't heard anything back from them. I'm looking at getting my middle grades certification done now. Then I could teach any subject in middle school but I can already hear the next thing they'll say, "Well you don't have much middle school experience!"

ARGH!! This is so frustrating. The monotony of everyday is really getting to me. It would be nice to do something besides cooking and cleaning.

30. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 17, 2008

And watching TV. Not to mention, eating. I bet I have gained 10 pounds waiting for something to open up.

31. smalltowngal

Sep 17, 2008

MAT-I hear ya! I'm trying to get into MS as well, but that's what I've heard, that I don't have much experience so I'm trying to sub more in those schools. I was telling my DH yesterday how much I hate just sitting around, looking for postings multiple times a day, checking my email hoping for something, looking for jobs outside of teaching, etc.

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 17, 2008

Still no word back on the leave positions. I know the due dates are soon! Unemployment in my county was reported as 8% in the paper on sunday!!

33. smalltowngal

Sep 17, 2008

I'm feeling reaaaaaaaaaaaly down today. A job that I thought I was going to be interviewed for went down today. No interview, nothing, and this principal even said that she had my application marked to phone interview. No calls for subbing either, though to tell you the truth I really don't mind. There was a receptionist position posted for the school that I would REALLY like to get into. I emailed the principal as soon as I saw the posting. Hopefully I'll hear something from him soon.

34. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 17, 2008

I don't mind not subbing either. After having had my own class, going back to subbing seems like a step backwards instead of forwards. I've been really down lately. I'm not seeing anything at all. It's never been like this in this area before. Florida has always been "the promised land." Not anymore. Perhaps when the unemployment runs out I'll sub. Still gotta pay the bills.

STG, go get some hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows and read a trashy romance novel. That's a guaranteed perk-up! It's what I'm doing right now.

35. smalltowngal

Sep 17, 2008

MAT-That's exactly how I feel about it. Every room I go into, I imagine how it would be if it were my room, how I'd decorate it, how the students would be, etc. I subbed for a science teacher/coach last week. You could definitely tell his wife decorated the room and there wasn't that much on the walls. And I feel like if I'm good enough to sub for them, why aren't I good enough to hire full time?

I just had two chocolate chip cookies.

36. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Sep 17, 2008

There's this one school in my district that really irks me. They have had this building sub position listed for close to a month. I called a week after school started and they told that they had already filled it out. Yet, the job is still listed..

Anyway, I'm a bit happy because I found a sub gig for 2 weeks on the weekend. The week has been going well, though the advanced spanish class I had yesterday really tested my patience. Hopefully things get better for Friday. I think it's just a residual effect from their teachers letting them get away stuff.

37. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 18, 2008

I wonder if the person they picked turned it down. Call them again. Good to hear your sub gig is going well. We're all good enough to sub .....(said sarcastically) They love us when we sub but want your own classroom? Scandalous!! Go back to your little hole. (said with extreme sarcasm)

I'm nervous that they won't be doing full salaried leave positions because of budget cuts. That would be really bad for me. I have an unfinished bathroom that really needs to be finished. We stopped work on it after I got layed-off. We only need to get a vanity for it and put in towel bars, soap dishes and tp rollers. It would be so nice to finish it and have a fully functioning bathroom.

38. smalltowngal

Sep 18, 2008

Well, the principal I did a phone interview with at the beginning of this month emailed saying that he had called the principal who has an open 5th grade position and told him about me. The position doesn't start until Oc 27 so that would give us time to get moved in and settled.

I also received an email from a principal here where I live now about interviewing for a receptionist position next week.

39. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 18, 2008

STG-OH, I hope you get this job. You are so ready to begin living happily ever after.
    Beth

40. smalltowngal

Sep 18, 2008

Thanks, Beth!!!! How have you been doing?