Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I am hoping to get some advice or connect with people regarding the horrible depression that I am going through over all this. I guess I was in denial or just thought things would work out and I'd find something before school started, but have now realized just how bad things are. School starts here tomorrow and I never found or heard anything. I now have no job and don't know what I'm going to do. I can't eat or sleep and my mind is constantly spinning.
    The worst part is explaining to others. My friends and family do not understand. All I hear is "how can you not find a job when you have all this education and experience?" "Why do you have this problem when I hear how teachers are needed?" I don't know what to say and I feel so bad already that I just feel worse trying to explain. My self-esteem is so low now that I don't know what to do.
    Anyway, just thought I'd add that and hope to continue to get some support here which is the only thing getting me through right now.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2008

spedteach-Even though my family doesn't come right out and say it, I do have some friends that do and I tend to think that my family sometimes thinks this too. I just tell them that the teacher shortage that they hear about is NOT TRUE! I tell them that teachers are not retiring in the numbers that were predict, but yet colleges are still cranking out huge numbers of teachers and that there just aren't enough jobs for the new and experienced teachers needing jobs.

I know how you feel. Its easy to get depressed going through this. I know that if I didn't have this forum where I could talk to other teachers who are going through the same thing that I am, then I would be worse off than I am because I would think that I'm the only one.

3. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Thanks STG! It is a comfort to know that I am not alone (I have felt so alone and like such a loser and failure lately). However, it is also frustrating to hear such stories from all these great teachers who have education, qualifications, etc. and can't find a job! It seems so unfair and makes me feel like maybe there really isn't any hope for me if there are so many of us in the same boat and only a limited number of jobs! Sigh...I just don't know what to think anymore.
    I just keep reaching out and trying to find out my options and "talking" to people to get ideas.
    Thanks again and I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2008

Sometimes, even the most well-meaning friend or relative can come across like a total Job's Comforter. Please keep coming back here for support from the ones who know what's happening in the real world.

5. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I hear ya... Sometimes I feel like people (family and friends) think I'm making stories up. Really, what happened to me during this job search was unbelievable. I know I'm doing everything I can to get hired, but lately that's not enough for me. :(

Our perfect job is out there.

6. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Yes, I swear my mom thinks I am making up things about all this!! She just shakes her head and says she doesn't know why I am having such a hard time finding a job...
    I know other family thinks the same, they just don't say it. I find myself wondering what the heck is wrong with me?? How does a college educated, professional with experience not have a job?? My younger brother who has one year of junior college is making 15 dollars an hour and has a nice new car! This is insanity!!
    I am even paranoid at what neighbors are thinking, seeing me at home and not working and wondering what is wrong with me. Somebody told me the other day that with the amount of schooling I'd done, state tests taken, etc. and financial aid debt I'm in that I should have gone into medicine or law-then I'd have a job and be making money!
    Honestly. I'm getting worried about my mental health with all this. I am so down on myself and the situation and just can't seem to get answers or know what to do. I am seriously depressed and should probably see somebody about it, but have no medical insurance and haven't for 2 years! Yeah, it really stinks. I am concerned how this will affect me in the long term and just pray that something comes up soon.
    Thanks for the thoughts and support!

7. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

:hugs: spedteach!! There are so many teachers that know exactly how you are feeling! All these teachers that they thought would retire by now will retire sooner or later and then there will be a huge need to fill all those positions. Will it be next year, 2 years from now? Who knows, but if you truly believe that you are meant to teach, then make sure that you are activiely pursuing it. I know you are!

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

Sped...I am with you!:hugs:

But I am offering something that HOPEFULLY will fill our time with something that will make us better job candidates and better teachers.

I would SURE like your help. I know I could use the assistance of a great special education mind...and that's YOU!

Take a look at the thread I just added called "Are you with me????" and see what you think!

(That goes for the rest of you as well!!! I think we can really help OURSELVES with this idea...and use it to get OFF of the Job-Seekers board by next year!)

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

I'm still here...

I know, I can get 6 hours of sleep, and I'll be fine. Hang in there everybody. There is a job out there for everyone... I know you've heard this before...but I still see jobs posted.

There are positions that haven't been filled yet. I'd go straight to the schools at this point. I have heard people talk to principal, walking right in the door off the street.

10. Ennasus03

Ennasus03 Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

SO....I'm a little livid right now and you all would be too if you just read the Press Enterprise (newspaper in PA). There is the "letter to the editor" section where people can write in their opinion to something. Some are really good and they make a great point. This one however, I'm sure, is already getting pounced on. This woman wrote in complaining how her son already has had more substitute teachers than his regular teacher since school started last Wednesday. I also think this is insane. School just started and teachers were already calling off the next day because "they needed a day off." I know because I've been called. Anyway!!! This lady says that "she doesn't know about these substitute teachers. I really don't think they have adequate education to be in the classroom. I don't think they have enough. They are all right out of high school and have no idea what they are doing. I really do think they should get certified 'real' teachers in times like these. Not these imitation people off the streets to properly educate our children." More was written, but I am so upset by it I can't even retype it.
    OOHHHH MMMMYYYY GOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!! Does this IDIOT know that we are certified people!!!! Does this IDIOT know the depression and anger and everything else we go through to get a dang teaching job, but can't, so we MUST settle with subbing. I had to beg, scrape, and annoy JUST TO GET ONE SUBBING JOB. So, I guess 5 extra years of my life and only God know how much money doesn't really matter. *tears start to roll* So HOW DARE YOU say that were are uncertified, imitation people off the streets. These people need to seriously know something about anything before they open their mouths. She better not think of seeing daylight right now. I don't think she's going to make it. I'm sure plenty of people are about to give her a piece of their minds. I'm not, I'd get carried away.

11. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

If teachers are not needed why do colleges push their teacher programs?

12. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

This is where I can so angry. All through my credential/masters program, all I heard was how desperate schools were for Special Ed. teachers and how we were so lucky because when we finished we would be guaranteed a job and could "write our ticket". Yes, I had several professors say that. I want to scream from the rooftops what a farce this is! If I had only known the truth before I spent all that time and money finishing my credential. I could be doing something else right now and actually have a job! This mis-information that is out there is ridiculous! That's part of the reason I keep getting questioned from family and friends as to why I can't find a job. All they hear is what is out there saying how desperately teachers are needed! Who is perpetuating this lie??? Maybe it's just here in CA, but the real facts need to be put out there for those still in school.

13. JD2008

JD2008 Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

Ennasus03, I know exactly what you are saying and I am familiar with that newspaper. I think you should reply and talk about the hardships a lot of people face with being a substitute teacher. I just graduated this past May and was not able to find a job after sending over 70 applications with only four interviews. I'm going to go back for grad school and get a degree in a different area because I don't want to wait five or possibly more years for a full time job.

14. smalltowngal

Sep 2, 2008

Ennasus-:hugs: I know that has to make you angry. It makes me angry! I know that in some areas to be a sub all is required is a HS diploma or GED, maybe some college hours. I agree about writing a letter to the editor in response to that writer and detail out for her what hardships certified teachers go through to get a full time job, including subbing, and that without knowing the credentials of the subs in her sons class, maybe she should keep her opinions to herself because there are certified teachers subbing in the classrooms. I wanna know why the teacher is taking days off already! I know that when I started teaching, I didn't miss at least the first 4 weeks of school. The school school I taught at had PD days for new to the district teachers which required me to be out more than I wanted to be.

Colleges are in essence a business and therefore, they look at each student in their teacher program has $$s so they don't discourage people from getting into the program because they would be losing money. Of course, they don't tell them how hard it is to get a job after graduation and so you have tons of teachers everywhere that think there is something wrong with them because they haven't gotten hired to teach for this year.

15. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

According to the Department of Labor statistics, teaching is still a demand occupation. Mainly because of the "greying" sector, also because of the population increases, and some because of attrition.
    In any case, it is enough of a demand occupation that much of my college tuition has been covered by the Dept of Labor through a program I went into through state unemployment.

My point is, they would not willingly throw dollars at it if there was not something in it for them. I was going to say if there was not a definite need, but there must be something to it for the government to hand over the amount of cash it does to these programs.

It's fine by me, it is making the difference in my life. I am living my dream because of it, though I have not had to deal with the actual job hunting issue, I am getting a fantastic college education. :whistle:

16. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

Wow. Just... wow. Ignorant people suck. I hope people write in and tear her letter to shreds.

17. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

Which is similar to the application process. At the University I went to the minimum GPA for APPLYING to the program was 2.64. However, depending on how many applicants, the number of students they accept increases the actual acceptance GPA. The year I went in the cut off was above 3.40. They get all these people applying for the program, when they know they have no chance of getting in. But to apply, you have to pay the $80 application fee. It's a shameful money grab.

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 2, 2008

Your district is so fortunate to have certified teachers as subs. Our subs are required to have "some college classes (in any major), go to a sub orientation, have no recent felony convictions, and be free of tuberculosis." That's it! Scary, isn't it?

19. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

Then you have to wonder if they even show up! I once had to take half of my team teacher's class while the other team teacher took the other half because a sub failed to show. When my LTS position ended and I was doing daily work, I was called in twice because someone's sub didn't show.

In OH you have to have at least a Bachelor's degree. Since where I used to live was saturated with teachers desperate for jobs, I had to compete with not only them, but those who were subbing for the heck of it b/c they had a degree. The local economy is crap and if you didn't go to the local university, an educated person really has no other option if they choose to stay. I'm glad I moved, even if I still can't find a job. :(

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know if I mentioned it yet, but only last week, I was driving all over town, looking for food pantries. I had been interviewing for months, with only false hopes. I was at the point where I thought, this interview won't be any different. They will say, "We'll get back to you.", and then I will hear nothing, or worse, some low-ball salary that will make me scream. Or even worse, have me start working, and then come up with some mess about they need a parent coordinator to sign off my paperwork, so I can't get paid until then. :(

Today was my first day with my new students. I am back here to inspire everyone. I have had so much help from this forum. I too, have had some really strange people offer their own twisted advice. I won't dwell on that because those people only made me stronger, and helped me get over the depression and twisted people I see face to face....let's just say that the good outweighs the bad...so please stay and find someone with whom you can make a connection. We have teachers from all over. When you are really down, just look around. Anyone who has a green dot near their name means they are currently online. So, you can PM them if you want to share your thoughts, if you like.

I will be around to check in. :hugs: I think even when you get a job, this is probably the best place to come for info, support and advice...nobody else understands a teacher like teachers!!!

21. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 2, 2008

Yeah, that's the worst when they say they'll contact you and then they don't.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

After one interview, one principal sent me an email saying she was sorry she didn't call, but wanted me to fax my certificate. Two days, I got the no thanks letter! :(

23. Ennasus03

Ennasus03 Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

You see, that's exactly why I'm not replying. I, have a mouth and outspoken mind that could burn. Lol. I sat there reading it the other day and my dad is like "Susanne, don't you get any ideas of replying, you know how your temper can get." Lol. So, I'm not allowed (thank God). Besides, I'm sure she got what she deserved. There are too many people everywhere and around my area that are in our positions. I'm sure they got her. I can't WAIT to read tomorrow's paper.
    Thanks for the replies and support guys!!!! You have no idea what this forum has done for me!!!! Much appreciated. Muah!!!!

24. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Sep 4, 2008

I'm in the same boat as everyone else...unemployed.
    Got my credential in may, and have been applying and sending resumes left and right. I kind of feel bad admitting this, but I was actually offered a job across the bay after an interview with the VP and P, and a demo lesson...I got great feedback from the seniors, who basically said I would be a great addition to the class and almost pleaded that I take the job...I was caught off guard, and almost accepted the job, but ultimately declined the position for a few reasons: 1. the commute...I dont have a car/cant drive, and I estimated that I would spend at least 3 hours traveling back and forth. This would have really limited my ability to really get to know my students,

2. I heard from former employees about some shady stuff that they had done to reduce black students from attending their school. Not cool with me in the least bit.

I declined with the hopes of getting something in the city, but that hasnt panned out. The school I student taught had a job opening, and I couldnt even get a interview with them. Sucks too because the school ended up moving to my neighborhood, where a ton of their students come from and the same one I have lived my entire life in. Would have been a perfect fit:(

Found out about a building sub position. Called, came in and talked to the principal, who offered me the position with the catch that another person decline this position and take another one. She was confident that this would be the case, but she called on tuesday to inform me that the other person ended up taking the job I wanted.

25. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 4, 2008

EZLN1 welcome to the club. This is a place to vent, get those frustrations and network with others in the same position.

I was offered a position at my old school only to have it ripped back because of seniority. I've been on many interviews. We all here have been on the short end of the stick. You're not alone.

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2008

Hi everyone...

I ditched class my grad class!! Feeling kinda overwhelmed right now.

Seriously need some motivation and direction. This instructor is a pain. Insults people all night. I realized that today, and called to say I was uh..tied up, which is somewhat true. :rolleyes: I feel that her put downs are a drain, and after all I went through to find a job, I simply refuse to sit in this class and listen to this woman talk down to people and make jokes..just to watch some of us squirm and argue with those who fight back. Debating about dropping the class.

It's enough that I had to deal with insults while finding work, and on the job from paranoid parents, but I can't take that garbage while I'm try to learn.

:unsure:

btw....

Has anyone considered looking into state/federal/municipal jobs as training managers? I thought about it and actually planned on getting a job in personnel, in the training dept. Worked as a training dept secretary in a temporary job, and I loved it. Had the same thrill as a being a teacher, digging thru tons of technical manuals, self-help skills, and all those management books and tapes. Setting up the room for workshops...etc.

Just a thought....

27. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

So I'm going back to my home town this weekend. Vacation. I am so worried and dreading the questions about me not teaching. I've tried my best to make it look like this is somehow my choice. That the reason I'm not teaching is because I think my skills would be better somewhere else.

But this week I'm seeing all my family and friends, so I know someone will push me further. I know someone will ask why I don't just do "teaching for awhile" until I can find something I do like. They don't know I have applied to schools. They don't know that my final assessment is so terrible there isn't a chance in hell anyone will or has hired me.

I have avoided talking to a lot of my extended family for this reason. I just can't think of anyway to explain it to anyone without just admitting that I'm a loser.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2008

superslide...you my friend, ARE NOT A LOSER!

You didn't lose anything... :hugs:

You are looking for a job. There is nothing wrong with that. You have chosen a noble profession, and doggonit, they need to appreciate and respect the fact that you won't be satisfied until the right job comes your way!

Believe me, I have had enough lousy jobs in my life...

I am doing everything in my power to keep this good one.

Just like we say there are no bad kids...just kids who need help badly..

There are no unemployed people who are losers...

There are people who have lost their jobs.

You are just in transition right now...

If being with family brings you down, you have a right to your feelings, and I am all for ignoring people who piss you off!

You need all the positive energy you can get. Being with people who are negative does not help matters when you get that call for an interview.

If you want to go home, I understand...but I would not surround myself with people who would only bring me down.

that's why I stayed home from class tonight... :unsure: I am serious about that. I need good vibes. Not bad ones...

29. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 5, 2008

I stopped talking to people who are negative about my job search. It's really none of their business. Bad things happen to good people. We all have our highs and lows in life. Master has the right idea surround yourself with positive people.

My social circle has dwindled but I'm with positive people who support me and that really make the difference. I keep all my rejection letters just in case the UE office wants proof that I'm applying for jobs.

30. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Susanne-I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT Ennasus MEANS!!!:spitwater:

For some reason that just made my day:lol:

31. smalltowngal

Sep 5, 2008

Beth-I didn't get that until you pointed it out!! :haha:

How have you been doing? I hadn't seen you around.

32. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

MAT,
    I am right there with ya'. Someone told me recently that the door will open and that we must be completely (educationally, physically and emotionally) prepared to walk through it. I have taken that literally to mean that I can not do anything that will deter myself from achieving my goal(that is: to walk through that proverbial door in the very best overall health possible)With that being said I simply refuse to put myself in a situation where I am defending my position. I would never do that to someone-no matter what I may think of their choices/predicaments etc.-so why should I tolerate rude and intrusive observations from others (even if under the guise of concern)?

33. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Hi STG-
    I think I have been hanging out in my "latest hiatus". But, I am doing must better.
    You have warmed my heart and soothed my bruises..thank you so much for noticing my absence.:hugs:
    Beth

34. smalltowngal

Sep 5, 2008

I understand where you are coming from! This whole process sucks and with each day that goes by, your self-esteem just sinks lower and lower. I often wonder what I would be doing with my students at particular times during the day if I worked at my dream school. I still say that one of these days we're going to have jobs and look back at this and laugh!

35. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 5, 2008

God, I hope you are right.

I am part of the "90 and out crowd" and at this rate, I may be 90 before I can retire.

36. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Oh, man... I don't know whether I should be happy, p!ssed, confused, or what, but the only thought running through my head is, "WTF?!?"

Remember my last interview? The one where this lady showed up nearly 30 minutes late and the P and AP talked to her during my time? Okay, well, for some reason I still have my email account with that district (I did a LTS job there and they gave me an account) and I hadn't checked it in a while. I check it tonight and saw that my old principal-- who is best friends with the principal at the school where I interviewed-- emailed me last Tuesday (the 26th). She said that she heard my interview went well. This other principal is her best friend (they go back a LOOOOOOONG ways-- over 20 years. They were college roommates), so I highly doubt this principal would say that about me if it wasn't true. On top of that, my old principal wouldn't feel compelled to email me.

Considering the circumstances, I thought I did well. Since I really only had about ten minutes with them, and there were tons of distractions, I didn't think it was enough time for the P and AP to form an opinion (even though the P did interview me at a job fair in March). Meh.

But here is what gets me: I haven't heard anything regarding the position. I tried calling HR WAAAAAAAAAAY too many times to count and the principal at the school hadn't responded to my email. I'd drive up to the HR office, but I have to deal with finding and paying for parking spot AND gas isn't particularly cheap. I suppose it would be worth it, though, since I checked out the school's website to see if they updated it. They did have four names (prior to my interview) for second grade teachers, but now they updated it and there are only three teachers listed (no new names). This school is huge, so I have a hard time believing that their second grade class is that small.

Anyway... of course this happens when I'm getting ready to put together packets for four schools that posted openings in my dream district. :rolleyes:

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

As my new little friends would say...

Mee too, mee too! :hugs:

39. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

yes! remember when we started fantasizing about our dream schools...and dream districts???

if I can see my dream, it must be coming true for all of us!!!

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2008

and the powers that be will probably move Social Security eligibility up to 95! :eek:hmy: