Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

AND.....I apparently do not know how to reply to posts correctly:(

2. Ennasus03

Ennasus03 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Sooooo, my 3 closest friends from college have teaching jobs. They all started yesterday. You should see their away messages "you can call me Ms. Wartman starting today", "I prefer Ms. Clark from now until the end of the school year". Love you all, but SCREW YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried my hardest to be happy for them, just isn't working. *sighs* I'm on 2 subs list and I had to beg my way in. If I had known I would've had better lucky flipping burgers, then I would've never gone to college. I def. would feel more welcome at McDonalds. I feel like I should've worked harder (even though I worked myself to the bone to over achieve), I feel like I should've gone for something different, I feel pretty **** low right now. Then all the letters start out the with, "THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR INTERVIEWING WITH THIS US! WE REALLY ENJOYED HAVING YOU!" Suuuurrreeee ya did. Do you even remember my name? I'm running out of magnets on the fridge (I post all of my rejections up there).

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 26, 2008

If your collecting UE, anything over 48 affects the UE. The official first day count in my area was down but I think that might have been because of Fay. I'm hoping (praying really) that now that Fay is over with people will remember to send their kids to school.

When I was at the UE orientation, they said that Tally had to hire an additional 200 people to handle all of the UE. They now have saturday hours because it's so bad.

I would make sure that you tell the sub office that you are interested any LTS positions. You may not have to have the certs in them since they are LTS.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2008

On believe me, I know exactly how you feel. I just got a call telling me officially that I didn't get an aide position (that's right, an aide position) and that she interviewed 5 certified teachers for the spot and went with one with more sped experience, but that I should try subbing, it'll get my foot in the door, I'll network with a lot of teachers and principals, yadda, yadda, yadda.....however, I did sub in this district last year, specifically at one school/grade level. I was there every day one week. This grade level had a position available for this school year back in April. I didn't even get an interview, and I knew the teacher who was leaving!!! So obviously it didn't get my foot in the door too much. :mad:

5. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

[
    I had to quit a job at a charter school because the principal wanted me to do IEPs without the parents present, no way jose. Now school has begun and I have no job.

Yes, I am very, very disgusted. I get penalized for trying to do the right thing.[/QUOTE]

I am confused. Did the parents waive the rights to attend those IEP meetings? I've been attending my son's IEP meetings for ten years now, and we always get a form to sign which indicates our intent to be present at the meeting. If parents do not sign the form and indicate they do not intend on being there (which they should never do) then the IEP meeting can transpire without parental involvement. If your principal is deliberately excluding the parents, then he/she is in violation of the law.

6. MyCalling

MyCalling Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Hello All,

I haven't been posting for a bit, but I have kept in touch by reading all of the responses. Yes, I am also one of the many disgusted. I am 52-years-old (and a hush falls over the audience ...) went through the program, blaa, blaa, Elementary Ed. Degree, Certified K-6, ESOL Certified, Currently in MA program for reading, but no job! What is wrong with this picture? Was I one of the many that were brainwashed to believe that there is such a teacher shortage that I would be spending most of my time trying to decide which job to take? Yes. I graduated in Dec. 2007, did all the right things that I was told to do and have become so depressed and disgusted by the constant stream of negativity, that I have decided to get a job at the Huntington Learning Center. Yes, the pay is only $10/hr., but right now that is $10/hr. more than I am currently making. I am also over hearing about the subbing myth - why hire a sub if they will come anyway and you can pay them less? When I weigh out all the positives for the $10/hr., I am very glad to have this job. I need to teach, and this is pure teaching. You have the time to give to the kids who really need it, no constant interruptions, no work to take home, no writing lesson plans, no parents, etc. I would rather make $10/hr. than sit home feeling depressed about having all of this knowledge and not being able to use it.

So, I put this on the table for those of you who might not have thought of this as an option. There are also Sylvan Learning Centers, and I am sure others throughout the states. I know that it is not the money that we are worth, but although it's hard to live on $10/hr., it is even harder to live on $0/hr. I am thinking that I will try the "teaching game" again when I have gotten my Masters in Reading and might have a better chance in a specialized field. I have just grown tired of sitting by the phone and feeling like a victim. So, for me, just doing something has given me a boost.:soapbox:

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

I'm working at a tutoring center as well, and I love it. The director is a former teacher and all of the tutors are, or have been, teachers. I only make $12/hr, but am told my pay will go up.

Subbing.... oh, boy. When I was in my teaching program, I heard from a number of people not to sub for just one or two districts; generally, if they see they can rely on you to be an awesome sub, then they're likely to keep you as an awesome sub instead of hiring you to be an awesome teacher. Not always the case, of course, but it happens.

Back home, I couldn't even get on sub lists because the area is so saturated with teachers desperate for a job. The only school that needed subs badly lost all of my paperwork. I gave them my last set of official transcripts (they wouldn't accept photocopies for the time being even though they remember me giving my transcripts to them) and they told me I had to retake the drug test. Re-taking it doesn't bother me-- I've never so much as smoked a cigarette in my life-- but I'm not paying $34 AGAIN. No wonder they're a failing district and can't find subs...

I was a LTS for a district that jerked me around, lied to me, broke promises, etc., and I don't have a job with them. The elementary school where I had that ridiculous interview last week is in that district. I saw an ad in the Sunday paper saying that they're accepting applications for all teaching positions. That ticked me off a bit.

I can't really afford to sub, but I'm doing it anyway. In the meantime, I'll tutor in the evenings and try to find a job for the weekends.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 27, 2008

Not a good day for me. I was supposed to have an interview tomorrow and they called to cancel because they were cutting the position. I'm so worn out and tired of being home all the time. I take walks, work in the yard, read, perfect my cooking skills but it's really old.

I checked my old personnel file from last year and everything in it seems fine. No black marks but yet I can't seem to catch a break. My ESE cert is not helping me either as no one will call me back.

This is not one of my good days.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 27, 2008

MATgrad

:hugs:

passes the rum, and puts on my walking shoes too.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2008

save one credit card..

I may be hijacking... but nobody ever told me that when you are out of work, and then get hired...somehow you must miraclously come up with some money to decorate your classroom!

Thank God for that one credit card I was saving for emergencies!

You are told that they will reimburse you...perhaps, and give you a tax exempt letter. "Go, pick up what you need!" Then, you stroll down the halls and look at the veteran teachers whose rooms look like a museum, the hall of teachers for 12 years or more. I think, there is no way on this planet will I ever have as much stuff on my walls and bulletin boards by Friday! Everyone expects you to make the room look great for the kids. How can you do this if you've been out of work, barely making your mortgage payments??

so...just an FYI

while struggling with the job crisis, be prepared to set up your classroom!!!

Something they don't teach you in undergrad class.

I guess when you are young and out of college, your friends and family throw you a graduation party, and buy you tons of stuff when you get that first offer.

What happens after 10-15 years, and you've been out of work??

Word to the wise...save everything you can. :unsure: Even if you say, that's it....I am through with teaching..or, I will NEVER teach 5th grade again...don't be so quick to toss out that unopened package of Weekly Readers!

A teacher with a new job, but a shortage of money to buy classroom supplies.

:unsure:

11. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

:hugs: MATGrad. That sucks.

I'm seriously freaking out about that. If I get a job, I have no money to buy classroom supplies. Since I've never held a teaching position I don't have any materials/supplies. I know schools around here give teachers one of those pre-paid debit cards worth $200 or so, but I think they only give them out if you were hired before the start of the school year. :(

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2008

I tell you lilimisses, it's not pretty

think of your first apartment, with newspaper in the windows...

at least now you can buy those fake paper shades!

you can get away with that stuff in your own crib! It's home, a roof over your house, you can make do until things get better. But when it's a classroom... the parents, kids and admin. expect more! :(

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 28, 2008

I hear ya on the decorating thing. I kept everything that I got from last year. I don't really put up a ton of teacher stuff. I just put up the kids' work usually. It's their classroom to begin with and it makes them really proud to see their work displayed.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 28, 2008

Take a look at ebay.

I was collecting somethings in the spring thinking getting a job would be a no brainer... ha.

I also hit used book sales (libraries) to build up a classroom library.

Now I have a decent library (been collecting for a year and a half), but no classroom to put them in.

At my last interview I felt like saying... And I come with a full classroom library. Hows about THOSE apples! :p

15. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 28, 2008

None of the school districts I've ever worked for gave me money for classroom decorations. My first district, noticing that there were a ton of brand-spanking new teachers let us go to a specific teacher supply store and buy up to a certain amount and they would pay for it. It was a small amount, like $50 or something. I had already spent waaaaay more than that. Since then it's been all on my dime.

16. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 29, 2008

So so mad right now!!! Not at job searching stuff but at some vandals in my neighborhood. Hubby was leaving for work to find the entire car covered in oil!!! The older vehicle wasn't touched but the newer car was just covered in oil. I am so beyond ticked that I don't know where to begin. Spent 20 minutes scrubbing the driveway. Don't even get me started on how much time it took to get the car clean. ARGH!!!

17. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I'm so sorry Mat. It was probably some kids that had too much free time on their hands and not enough parental supervision.:mad:

18. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

One time I apply for a teaching job with park district they sent me the standard rejection letter. However it had the name of the person they gave the job to. That is unprofessional.

19. smalltowngal

Aug 29, 2008

MAT-that stinks!! I'm so sorry that these kids had too much time on their hands, and this is what they came up with to do.

20. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

MAT, that's awful!! :( Those kids suck.

I tried all.week.long. calling multiple times a day to get in contact with one district's HR office. I want to know if they have any more openings and if I can set up an interview with the school(s).

The other district (the one I want in) doesn't have any postings for elementary teachers. :( I went to their sub orientation in May, but never turned my stuff in because 1) I wouldn't get to sub with them that school year anyway and wouldn't get to know principals (they make you go to another sub training session that was held the final week of school... Umm, I'm a licensed teacher, I've subbed before, and I've written plans for a sub. I think it's stupid I should have to to go this), and 2) I stupidly thought I'd have a job for the fall. So, I need to get the paperwork done for subbing in that district so I can start subbing for them. In the meantime I'll sub in the first district I mentioned.

21. smalltowngal

Aug 29, 2008

I could use some rum, and a lot of it!! This whole job searching is getting old!

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

Nice! that is probably a good closing line! I would try it! I bet the interviewers will say later, "Hey, I like her...she sounds ready to work!"

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

ditto...and welcome aboard..

lot's of good forums to get ideas...

I have learned to go beyond my comfort zone...and that's what helped me to find my new job

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

what the ???

I don't get it. Tissue papering a tree, eggs on the window...that's Halloween stuff. But messing with your car...that's a felony! Anybody that close to my ride is asking for it!

did you file a police report??

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

would it be mean if you sent it back, and said, "I see you still need my help, perhaps as an administrative assistant. I am sure I can do a better job getting reject letters to the right party. And by the way, if anything happens to dear old John Doe..... let's just say you can be held accountable for it."

;)

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

I wish I would have loaded up on simple things, like Sharpie black markers, post-it pads, pocket folders, when they were dirt cheap!
    At least Office Max still has the 1 penny sale! :2cents:

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

I got a call the other day from one of the districts about subbing. Wanted me to come in for an interview and do paperwork. Well, I uh, have something now. Can't you mail it? (I like to stay on file...just call me Ms. Paranoid) She gets an attitude, "Well call me back when you have time." Oh well!

Many of our districts have online applications. When they want you, all you have to do is drop off copy of certificate, DL and SS card. You can do that in 5 minutes, and most dist offices are open until 4:30pm. Most of the places just sent me an envelope for returning the stuff. Gas is too high to do all that running around!

28. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 30, 2008

*pulls up a bench* Make mine a "screwdriver" bartender. I'm more of a Vodka gal in such occasions. *cheers* I'm with you smalltowngal...this job hunting thing is affecting my health. I can't remember the last time I had a decent nights rest.:crosseyed

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

last week, I had all this time, and no energy or money

now I have money, no energy and no time...

I know... everyone is throwing something at me now...

I should have made out 2 months's of lesson plans just to be ready.

I could have at least read my entire textbook for my grad class. No excuse there.

Has anyone tried the charter schools?

30. smalltowngal

Aug 30, 2008

Thank, nasimi. I could use some company. My sleep has been affected as well. There's no reason to go to bed early so I stay up late. I lay awake in bed though thinking about where my job is, lessons I could be doing, what I would be teaching the students, etc. And then having to get up early to be awkae with my daughter....and the cycle starts over.

31. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 30, 2008

smalltowngal: PM me anytime. Scary thing is I was tempted earlier to go to the store and buy myself some libations just to numb the pain. :( I think the depression is starting to really sink in. Yeah, I am signed on with two great districts to sub.....but I know deep down I am worried sick about how I'm going to make ends meet. I am single, and I live alone with my cat. I don't have kids or a hubby (which, would be nice) so I don't have those extra expenses. Still, I have bills piling up, car payment, rent, food...all the things we all must deal with. I have school loans too that are in deferment because I just can't pay them right now. I hear you about staying up late.....no reason to go to bed early. It's really tough. I was reading on another thread about teachers considering other careers. I have thought of the same thing, actually. Anyhow, hang in there.....I am sorry to sound so trite, I guess I don't know what else to say. Feel free to PM me anytime though.

32. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

That actually really shouldn't happen. You should forward the letter to the person who got the job. That's the kind of information that should be kept confidential.

33. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Aug 31, 2008

I need the rum and plenty of it. I just missed passing my Praxis 2 by six points for the second time. I am so disappointed in myself. I have done so much studying, but I guess not enough to get me the passing score for my state. Oh well, when I sobber up I am going to starting studying again. :lol:

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2008

:hugs: You'll get it. Hang in there!

But, judging by your name, you should be happy right now as Jimmie Johnson just won in a dominant fashion!

35. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

I'm sorry to hear that, lowes. Which Praxis test was it-- one of us might be able to give you study information.

36. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Aug 31, 2008

I have the study notes from Praxis2studynotes.com for Praxis 2 0014 and they are some great notes because the info is always on the test. I really do not know what the problem is. Any suggestions?

37. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I took the Praxis 0014 in January for my VA license. (for my PA license I had to take an exam almost identical to that one) In addition to looking at Praxis study notes online, I also checked out brainpop.com. You can get a free 2-week trial. Another thing that helped me was my husband's love for documentaries. :p Seriously, though, there were science questions on there that I knew from watching "The Universe" on the History Channel.

I'll see what else I remember doing to help my score... but for right now it's an ungodly hour and I'm beat.

38. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

No hits yet on the car but I have gotten it all clean. I'm going to be at the next homeowner's association meeting to see if others are having the same problem. We have a lot of empty/abandoned houses here now and that's attracting the little darlings.......

39. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

I have a rather new wireless laptop (as opposed to my old HUGE desktop in my bedroom). THIS one can move around the house and I find it most comfortable to sit at my kitchen table with all the applications---that end up taking me nowhere. But at least the view out my kitchen window is nicer (I have a few flowers and a tree out there..something about the color green invigorates me.)

BUT, it also looks out my front walk which I share with this new - sort-of strange- couple. They see me sitting at this computer so much that I start to get paranoid that they think I'm a lazy person..just doing NOTHING all day.

Sheeesh... I'm in the pits and worried about what these doofuses are thinking about me. ARRRRGGGG!!! I NEED A CLASSROOM!!!!

40. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

I used a study guide/test-taking book that I bought on-line. It was more expensive than I care to admit..and it really didn't do me much good (other than reviewing Illinois history, and preparing me for the SORTS of questions that they would ask. the MATERIAL though really wasn't relivant (and rarely showed up).
    At my state university they had tutoring for the exams. even though you aren't a student (maybe you still are), maybe you could go to the closest and see if you can arrange a little tutoring through them. If not, maybe they can give you hints as to where to go on-line to get the best help.

Just a few ideas.