Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

For those who are trying to get into other career fields with your teaching degree, what reason do you give when asked why you aren't teaching?

I hate hate that question, and there is no easy way to answer it.

2. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Aug 21, 2008

I am appalled and ashamed to admit this, but I am telling them that I discovered teaching is not for me. It is awful. :( But because so many people think there is a shortage, I cannot very well tell them that I could not find a job. I have had one interviewer beat me to the punch and ask me about the market and she TOTALLY understood because she was once a teacher herself. I have not been asked this question each time, but about 2 or 3. I will tell you that I am constantly meeting people who tell me that they get it because they themselves have certs. or know someone who does.

On a totally different note, why do people seem to think that your cover letter or resume or something is lacking???????? I have seen some posts here saying something to that effect and I have read it in other places. It just galls me. I had at least 3 principals tell me that my letter was the best they had ever seen. Or one of the best. One woman chose me and was vetoed by the school board. I was forced out of another position so the P's friend could get in and karma must be at her door because they just riffed her due to budgets. I also do not get why people assume you would not work in a "bad" district. I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have said this before and I will say it again, I went to a job fair for a district that is in one of the worst cities in America. 1000 people came there looking for jobs, and most were elementary, English and Social Studies. There have been no available elem. jobs there in at least 2 years-my friend works there and the Principal has my info. But she has no control over the hiring, as the politics rule here, too. Her advice to my friend: "tell her to get certified in math or science (high school) and special ed. (also high school) and then she may have a chance." But they are even seeing those areas getting more resumes. My own town's district just had 2 elem. teachers retire (that I know of) and the jobs were never advertised, going to the daughters of people with political connections. I have met someone who wants me to join a political party, which she thinks may get me in somewhere, but she said I will never get in this district. I graduated at the top of my class, have stellar references and a great background with kids. I even made a beautiful brochure. Nothing. Yet, my cousin's wife has a wealthy dad and family and she was just handed a job-she wants to teach to have her summers off and be home by 3 or 3:30. I know a lot of people who did not have to interview, they merely had to fill out the HR forms. These are GOOD districts. How do you compete with these things? :sorry: I am just getting very annoyed when it seems like people blame those of us who are doing all we can possibly do.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2008

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Sadundercover, I could have written most of your post. I have to roll my eyes and ignore people who immediately ask about my resume and cover letter. I'm an excellent writer and even though my teaching experience is limited, I do have an excellent resume (I say all the "right" things to show I know what I'm talking about despite my lack of experience-- anything to make that resume shine) and my materials are flawless. At every interview, people have complimented my resume. I also made a beautiful tri-fold brochure that my interviewers love. There are days when I feel like shoving my portfolio in others' faces so they can see how well-qualified I am. I don't know why I don't have a job, I don't know why one district jerked me around, but I do know I'm doing everything I possibly can to GET a job.

5. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I hope you're right!

It all upsets me. Two days after the interview, I'm still fuming. If I were the principal I would have done just as you mentioned: talk to other candidates first, because we cared enough about the job and were considerate enough to show up on time. If there was time left, then I'd talk to the late person... but after she left I'd shred her resume. I'm sorry, but who doesn't research the location of the school? If you're not clear, then why not ASK? In addition, it's always a good idea to have the phone number of the school on you (she had a cell phone and was on it before she stepped in the office) for this reason. What I also don't understand is that this school is located on a miltary base... it's not small, but it's not so enormous that it would take 30 minutes (assuming she was on time when she left her home) to drive around to find the school. Not to mention, there are people walking around everywhere. I need to calm down... my blood pressure is high enough.

Good response! :) I hope you post good news for us!

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 22, 2008

lilmisses, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I wonder if the late person had some kind of connection.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I'm not sure. I know she didn't know the P or AP, but she may have known someone else. The thing is, the principal at this school is best friends with my former principal (they were college roommates and have both been in this district for over 20 years), and I had/have a great relationship with my former principal. (I was a LTS at her school, but declining enrollment and loss of Title I funds actually led to the displacement of three or four teachers) I figured that would be a great connection for me.

I'm just going to have to keep looking.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2008

Well, here it is almost 5:00 and no phone call....I am such a loser that I can't even get a job as an aide! :( *going to sulk in my corner now*

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

I see the light!

I regret to inform you that I must turn in my ID card...

soo....

I can get one for.... my new job!!

It still doesn't seem real guys. All I know is, I set the alarm for the past few days, drove out to staff meetings, orientation, and inservices. I see piles of forms with a label with my name on it! I have a roster. I have a room...and my new assistant and I have been working on setting it up. It's all happening so fast!

Everyone here is really getting down on themselves...I want you to know good things will happen!!

Let's just pray the bank doesn't try to take my car before I can get my first paycheck!!

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 22, 2008

Master do the happy dance!!! After all that you have been through, you have more than every reason to celebrate :) CONGRATS!!!!

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

Thanks MAT! Can everyone pinch their monitor?? I don't believe it's real!

:D

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2008

Good luck in finding a job in Gwinnett County! I worked for them for three years and I do miss it. I would suggest contacting the principals directly. I actually helped a teacher on this site get a job at the school that I was teaching at (told her to phone the principal directly and gave her some insight on what he was like and what he was looking for). Unfortunately I didn't meet her when he was showing her around the school after her interview.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2008

:lol:

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

:) Proud2B! I felt that! thanks!

15. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

CONGRATULATIONS:2up::clap:
    They are so lucky to get you.
    Been saving these heads just for you!:partyhat::party::partyhat:

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 23, 2008

You've been such a cheerleader for everyone who has landed work, how can we all NOT sing your praises in honor of your new position!

:whistle::haha::eek::lol::eek:hmy::woot::rofl:
    (that's an emoticon chorus with one hyper bugger who won't stay with the group... get used to that again, but with glee)

17. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

As someone who lurked for a long spell before posting, I can say that you, Master K, have offered a wonderful voice of optimism and support for everyone in this forum.
    So, well, I am going to say something which is totally out of character for me on behalf of your recent triumph---- Here it goes, ahem.....WOOOH HOOO!!!! (how does one spell wooh hooo?)
    Anyway,good for you.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

thank you all ...I was searching for some freebies for my sub tub..and stopped by to say hello.

I sure will feel better once I sign my contract! Doesn't seem real! Having nightmares that payday will come, and there's no check for me. I'm not in the system....I know it's just a matter of time.. paperwork, etc. But you guys know what I've been thru!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

Ha Ha... I looked at my class roster.. and I can put a name to all these guys! My aide already told me about the ones who won't stay with the group! But I'm not worried-- She's ready for them!

20. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

MPK, I am SO happy for you!! You totally deserve this! :D

catnfiddle, LOL! :p

BerniceBobs, I spell it "woo-hoo." Sometimes I add more "O"s for added effect.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

:)

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

Thoughts from the battlefield...

You know what is weird??? I remember something that stood out about this interview...

When you see the competition walk by, don't you kinda size them up like they are some girl or guy trying to talk to your main squeeze! :lol: I smiled, she smiled back. Then, I thought hmmmm...she's kinda young... I better play up my experience and enthusiasm game today...

I think that's what did it...

And I remember a few pages back, we said all is fair in job hunting...gotta get yours before somebody else does!

So when you get called for appointments, ask for the latest one! You can be the last person they see, and make the best impression!

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Well, to be perfectly honest, when I saw the other candidate (the one who arrived obnoxiously early) and she tried to make small talk, the only thought running through my head was, "B---h, please!" :D

I really am a very approachable and friendly person, but when I'm faced with my competition an uglier side wants to rear its cute little head. :p

24. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 24, 2008

Ok... need a hug.

It's my first day here- and it's been a real tough one. A tough weekend to be exact.

I should intro myself. I'm 49 and just finished student teaching (a gasp arises...I know). i used to be a music teacher for 7 years, but then took 19 off to raise kids... and lose a husband. Decided to go back into Elementary Ed.(Very long story) and just finished the work.

NO RESPONSES...or hardly any (50+applications, 3 first interviews), and no job.

My father called tonight..THIS man, sheeesh, who needs a pain in the *** ex-husband when you have a loving father like this one. He wanted to know ..so how is it going? ... Well.. he knows too much, so I can't say "nothing".

How's it going?

My oldest is a senior in college- and struggling BIG BIG BIG time. If *I* can't get a job with straight A's, how will she get a job with terrible grades- but the big news... they are telling me (over to the side, haven't told HER yet)...that they think that ALL THIS TIME, she's had asperger's..and it's just dawned on them. She's 21... and you think about it now??? What do you do with a 21 year old with depression and asperger's?

My youngest has run away from home- and has nothing in his future. no job, was kicked out of school. I saw him on a corner the other day, and took him out for a meal-he refused to come home. he said he would drop by the next morning- that was 3 days ago- and nothing. I watch the rain come down...and wonder...is he dry? Does he have a place to sleep?

Try as i might, i can't find a job. My father asked about my plans, and started into how so many people think they are going one direction in life, and end up somewhere else..and how I shouldn't spend TOO much time "on vacation"! That's what THIS is. Months of 18 hour days---doing nothing but searching for jobs, and worrying about my kids- and will I EVER be able to teach...and what IF.... I never teach again. (the thought starts the hours of tears)

But THIS is a vacation... and have I "checked out the local grocery store? Maybe they need a cashier. And.... GOOD GOD! How are you going to pay property taxes???? And McKenna..I've heard of people's lives being in the dumps...but none of the THREE of you is any good right now, HUH?"

"now look at your niece (The darling of the family!)...Well, she got THREE offers right out of college, and she's teaching 2nd grade. I thought you could have at LEAST done nearly as good as HER!"

Some earlier today mentioned sleeping pills... thank God i don't have any here right now.

Just need a hug...and have an empty nest instead. :(

25. smalltowngal

Aug 24, 2008

:hugs: sweetie. That is horrible! For one thing your dad should be supportive of you. And instead of throwing it in your face about the niece having three offers, maybe he should instead be talking to the niece about helping you get a job w/n her district (if that's possible).

26. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Awww, McKenna!! Huge virtual :hugs: coming your way!! I second everything that smalltowngal said.

Good luck!!

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

Here's a Hug!!

Dear McKennaL...

Here's a Hug...:hugs: ... and if you send up a smoke signal.. I'm sure I would see it..if you are anywhere close to Chicago area.

I feel your pain. I had one hell of a summer. Just found a job, and still paranoid because I haven't signed my contract yet.

We have a couple options, if you like.

We have a post job openings here thread....

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=755913#post755913

We also have an Interview Questions thread...

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=757373#post757373

these two may get you into some leads, and help you get ready for more interviews

I trust you have already considered subbing, and signed up for as many districts as possible.

I will say you know with taxes so high, a store clerk job at $7.75 will not get you very far, but the benefits will be good, and you need to get out of the house. I know...because I didn't let mine go yet.. :unsure:

We are the same age, so I can relate...

Here's one more thought for you.

You can only handle one crisis right now. That is you getting a job. If your youngest son is at least 18, I would say let him fend for himself for a minute. The police can't arrest you for child neglect. He'll be home long before the leaves turn red.

Before you can help him, and everyone else... you got to help yourself.

School starts tomorrow in the suburbs, and next week in the city. Keep hope alive. Enrollment changes, and things are still opening.

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

also... don't be too proud to look for some help NOW. Look for help at your local township for help with your taxes and other costs. Check with The Salvation Army and local agencies for help with utlities and housing expenses.

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

yeah, I can see you saying "You've got something stuck in your teeth, and then watch her run to the bathroom. Knowing she was next...and hoping they will come out and call her! Then when they look around, you would smile and say, "I'm here!" ;)

30. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 25, 2008

I dont' know whether to be happy or depressed about this one. I got our tax bill for the year. It went from 1600 to 850!! Why? Because my property has be de-valued by about 25,000. On the plus, the mortgage company just dropped my payments.

Ah the competition! I smile but inwardly I"m thinking "I'm better than you!" I'm seriously messed up sometimes.

31. smalltowngal

Aug 25, 2008

So today is the first day of school for every district in Texas and I'm sitting at home. :( Someone pass me the Rum please. I know its not even noon yet here, but it IS 500 somewhere.

32. ellemorko

ellemorko New Member

Aug 25, 2008

I haven't posted on these fourms yet, but I thought I would. And since I'm depressed, I thought this would be a good place to start.

Since late April early May I have been waiting to get an interview and in June I finally got one for a 1st grade postition. I didn't get the job. :( It's now over two months later and I haven't gotten another interview since. Schools started here last week and a couple of my friends have gotten interviews, but I haven't. They, like me, still don't have jobs yet.

I hate how earlier in the year before we all graduated we were postive that we would get jobs for this fall. I mean everyone told us we wouldn't have trouble. But here we are today and a handful of us still don't have jobs.

So alas I'm feeling bumbed. I'm starting to sub, so hopeful that will get my feet into the door and maybe later my luck will be better. :(

33. smalltowngal

Aug 25, 2008

Subbing is a great way to get your foot in the door, especially in different schools/districts. No one ever tells you how tough it is getting a job after graduating, and teaching is one of those jobs that only hire at certain times of the year. I wish you and your friends luck in getting a job.

34. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 25, 2008

First off... thank you to all those who wrote such nice things last night.

Now to STG...

The other day I passed a school bus, and wanted to yell "BOO!" out the window.

:(

I'm with ya, sister!

35. smalltowngal

Aug 25, 2008

:hugs: McKenna!! Its been a tough day. I know that I'll get a classroom when God has it planned, and hopefully can stay in that room for years to come. :)

36. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

37. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

:angel: :whistle: Is my halo blinding you? :angel:

Or "I'm cuter than you!", "I'm dressed better than you!", "My outfit isn't wrinkled and yours is!", "I smell better than you!", "I have nicer shoes than you!", "My purse is nicer than yours!", "I bet I have a better resume than you!", etc...

If you're messed up, then so am I... but I'm not messed up. Therefore, you are not messed up. See my logic? :2up:

Actually, in my MAT program I was one of the "babies", student teaching at 23 (though I turned 24 at the end). Many of my classmates were in their late 30's and early to mid-40s. My hometown minister's wife went back to school and finished her teaching degree (secondary math and IT) when she was in her early 40s. She had no problem finding a job right away.

38. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

You assume a lot when you mention subbing. I know you are having a tough time too. However, most of us can not afford to live off of subbing, I know I can not. In many cases, subbing does not get your foot in the door. If anything you are pigeon holed into the sub role.

I do not mean to speak of you specifically but the suggestion is kinda getting on my nerves as I am hearing it a lot. Apparently, we are not good enough to teach but we are fine to sub. Please excuse me I am a bit down. I had to quit a job at a charter school because the principal wanted me to do IEPs without the parents present, no way jose. Now school has begun and I have no job.

Yes, I am very, very disgusted. I get penalized for trying to do the right thing.

39. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 26, 2008

I subbed for two years. It did no good. I got my old job at a school in a district where I knew nobody. They wanted a teacher with dual certifications which I have. Then the budgets were cut. I'm a little upset this morning too because I woke up to read that enrollment is down in Florida. ARGH!!! Thank goodness hubby has job security :) Thank goodness I can collect unemployment for quite a bit longer.

I have learned about how resourceful I can be and still do pretty decently. Yesterday I was at wally world doing my grocery shopping and spent a whopping $38 but yet we will eat good. We will have meatloaf, beef-n-broccoli, pizza, grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches, omelets, french toast and spaghetti. It made me feel actually very blessed which given the current situation is strange.

Tim good for you for sticking up for yourself. You the teacher would be held liable for IEP's. Shady business these charter schools sometimes. The only "subbing" positions that I will do are LTS positions plus if you're certified you get full teacher pay. I see day-to-day subbing as a step backwards. It only takes a GED to sub here and pay is garbage. My UE is about the same.

40. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

OMG-I just jumped through all the hoops to enable me to sub!:mad: I thought subbing would be my foot in the door-and that I could try to get my tesol degree (or a masters in reading) at the same time. Anyway, I don't know if I could qualify for financial aid or if that would affect my unemployment.UGGG! I just don't know what is the best thing to do.:help: