Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I have an interview tomorrow morning. What I have going for me: I worked in the district before and taught the grade for which I'm interviewing (I was a LTS). The principal at this school is best friends with the principal at my old school, and I had a great relationship with the principal at my old school (declining enrollment and loss of Title I funds are why that school didn't have any openings this year). Hopefully both work out to my advantage... I'll let you know how it went.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2008

I have an interview for an aide position on Thursday. Crossing my fingers!

Good luck on your interview, lilmisses

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2008

That was probably one of my ramblings. You see, an aide can make $20k in a charter school, according to last place that wanted to interview me. Most aides make $11-12 in public schools, but sp. ed. aides make more. You may think you are going backwards, but this is how it works:

Teachers earn twice as much, but we have teacher's pension taken out. That reduces the take home pay quite a bit. Not the same with aides. Also, teachers spend a great amount of money on class and materials. Aides don't have to, but some do. Teachers are expected to be available beyond the school day. Aides do not. It makes it hard for teachers to get part time work. But aides can! So...if you have a part time job, you can pretty much break even if you find an aide job too.

My other trick is the fact that I volunteer to work as a sub for the district. Since they need teachers more than aides, if the ratio is okay, they would rather put me in the room than call an outside sub. That makes extra cash for me!!

Go to your local district office, or go on line. The jobs are posted under non-certified staff, paraprofessionals, or non-professional staff.

When you get called for the interview, be preapared for the 'why are you not teaching?' questions.

Resist the urge to say because you people have not hired me! :rolleyes:

Tell them you are seeking employment, and are willing and able to work in this position since not openings are available for teaching.

There are a few threads out there on this topic...check around the job seekers forum

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2008

ditto...

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2008

good luck lilimisses!!!!

6. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

lilmisses and STG-
    Sending to both of you all the best thoughts possible to help make your dreams come true!And a bit of good ole' common sense to the schools to ensure that they are smart enough to realize how fortunate they would be if they hired you two great ladies!;)

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2008

good luck STG!!!!

want some help?

Describe the skills or attributes you believe are necessary to be outstanding when working in student support services.

How would you work with a wide range of issues in your groups?

Describe how you would support students within the classroom.

How would you address the diverse needs of students in your classroom.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2008

Actually, maybe you can use those too lilimisses... :D

oh, and also luvpug...

Aides get benefits, just like teachers...maybe a few less..but benefits just the same..where subs don't

9. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 19, 2008

That is actually high for an aide position. In my area (CT) aides get $8-$10/hr., depending on experience and education. I have my Masters in Ed and I was offered $10.

10. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Well I graduated with my "teaching degree" two years ago. I did not get into teaching right after graduating.

My final practicum experience was an absolute nightmare. I was so close to dropping out of the program, it wasn't even funny. But I stuck with it because I thought, hey, even if I just get the degree and don't teach, it will still look better than saying I didn't complete it.

Instead of teaching I started working for an agency that works with the disabled. I despise this job. I have to work with violent clients regularly, and I'm supposed to find them work. If I don't take them out to look for work I'm not doing my job. If I take them out and they cause an "incident" (like attacking a mother and baby, which just happened the other day), it's our fault for not seeing the "indicative behaviours". Employee safety isn't even a second thought, it's just not a thought at all for this agency. Nothing.

My second job isn't too bad. Actually I didn't get this job through interviews, I started volunteering because I was so depressed and felt so useless at my full-time job. I teach classes on computers, Office, and ironically enough, resumes, interviews, and job search. The job is fun, but it doesn't appear to be opening any doors for me anywhere else. And I can't work their full time for other reasons...

I had an interview last Tuesday about a position at an institution I really wanted. They said they would contact me by the end of last week of the beginning of this week no matter what. They haven't called yet, and I haven't heard anything back from my references, so I know they haven't called any of my references.

So I don't know. Is one of my references saying too much, or is all my experience and degrees worth absolutely nothing, or am I just a rubbish job candidate. It's difficult not to become paranoid.

After work now I find it more difficult to go through the exercises of sending out my resume. I tend to just nap now, wishing that I would go to sleep and not wake up.

I've gone to career coaches who tell me my degrees and experience should be enough to get me a good job, yet here I am... My resumes are top notch.. I was able to send it to a "professional resume reviewer", and they said they wouldn't change a thing..

I'm running out of gas and places to apply. I can't work where I'm working very much longer.

In the future I might be happy that I don't have what I want more than anything right now, now I wish I had a big bottle of sleeping pills. I'm just so tired. My heart literally hurts when I think about my life...

11. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Oh please don't give up. I so understand how you feel, and I am weary too. With your educational background and experience, you've just got to know that something is going to pop up for you when you least expect it.
    I have sent out countless resumes along with all the required paperwork with nary a response. I haven't even gotten an interview. There's just nothing out there in my field.
    As despondent and depressed as I get, each morning I rise up with new optimism in my heart wondering if today will be the day.
    Your day is coming, just keep trying. It's the hope and the trying upon which humankind's survival is predicated. We never know what is around the corner. Have you ever noticed that when something really good happens to you it is when you least expect it? Your task at hand is to be ready for it when it happens. Keep on, keeping on!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

12. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

Thanks for your information on this. I had completely discarded the idea of becoming an aide but now I'm not so sure. Is it very common for someone to be a teacher's aide and then get offered a full-time teaching position or at least get an interview for one? I have seen others take this route in order to get a full-time position but does it often work? I don't want to get stuck in the teacher's aide position forever...TIA! :)

13. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

Good luck to both of you and let us know how the interviews go!

14. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I feel all of you guys pain. It is a teacher shortage in certain parts of the U.S. Here in Mississippi we have teacher shortages in Special Education, Math, Science, and Foreign Lang. I had a girl in my class this summer that was from New York that has a passion for Math, and of course she landed a job before she was even certified. Maybe the fact that she was pre-med before coming to MS played a major part in it. Dont worry guys keep your heads up something will become available soon.:hugs:

15. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 20, 2008

Hi SuperSide,
    Life is hard right now,but don't give up.I would try very hard to find another position. Maybe you can teach computers in a college or an adult education program.How about tutoring or working as a para,school aid or substitute teacher in the schools.Have you considered working in a library?
    I feel really bad for you,let as know how you are doing. You have many friend at this site.

16. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Thought people here would appreciate that one... :p I hadn't even started taking ed. classes at the time and I still had a clue as to what I was getting myself into! (it was the semester before I began grad school-- my acceptance was contingent on taking and passing 2 math courses. I took the easiest math classes accepted by the state and made A's. :D No way would I have made a high enough grade had I taken math courses at my undergrad college. I digress...)

For years, my DH's family thought education was a simple career for lazy people. I mean, why in the world would we complain about our jobs when all we do is work five days a week from 8-2, have free nights and weekends, have every holiday under the sun off, and we don't work during the summer? Oh, sometimes we write lesson plans, but how hard is that? OY...... :rolleyes: It wasn't until they saw how hard I worked that they finally somewhat "get it."

17. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

I feel so loved! :wub: Thanks for the good luck wishes, everyone!!

I have no freaking clue what to think about this interview. I like the school, I really liked the P and AP, I like the area, and while it's a nearly 30 minute (with traffic) commute it's still an easy one. Unfortunately I was rushed rushed rushed. See, my interview was set for 10:30 and I arrived at the school around 10:15 (entered the school a couple of minutes later) like a good little candidate. I hang out in the office and the P and AP walk in around 10:20 and say they'll be with me shortly. Sounds great--they can take their time and besides, I'm early. Around 10:25 someone walks in the office. They had an appointment at 10, but got lost. :huh: This isn't the easiest school to find on maps since the street name isn't on any of the maps, and three different online maps (google, microsoft, mapquest) give you three different locations for this school; however, the school's website has the directions right on it and they are SO easy to follow (even if the name of the street the school is on isn't on any of the maps). I'm geographically impaired ( :D ) and if I think something is easy to find, then it's easy to find, darnit! Anyway, they talk to her first. It's 10:37 and another candidate walks in for an 11AM interview. Um, it's one thing to be early, but it's another thing to be REALLY early. Just my opinion... please don't flame me. They make a bit of small talk with me, and I'm nice and politely respond. I've never had an interview where I saw other candidates (except job fairs and screening interview fairs). It was awkward, to say the least. I finally get to go back around 10:55. Like I said before, the P and AP were rushed since they needed to leave around 11:30 in order to work on new teacher orientation. It was mostly them talking, telling me about the school and policies and programs they have in place. I was asked a few questions, but nothing that required a lot of detail. OH, but they did absolutely LOVE my "about me" tri-fold brochure. Really went nuts over it. So, I'm done and then quickly rush out so that the next poor candidate can be rushed through their interview.

I'll let you know if/when I hear something!! I really hope a decision is made today, though.

18. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Oh, and smalltowngal, good luck tomorrow!! :hugs: :D

19. BSUTeacher

BSUTeacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I've had a lot of those interview where they talk at you about the school. Sometimes I wonder how they decide if you are right for them if they do all the talking? Give me a chance to convince you to hire me!!! Oh well...

20. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

21. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

Is there a way to see a picture of your tri-fold? I just need a basic idea of what you are talking about.

Thanks

22. smalltowngal

Aug 20, 2008

lilmisses-I hate when you are rushed through an interview. It makes you feel like you don't have time to put your best foot forward. Good luck! Oh and I'm PMing you my addy to see what that tri-fold brochure looks like!

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Oh, I hope you're right Beth!!

24. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll happily send it to you! :)

25. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Got the PM and I sent you an email!! Hope that helps!! :)

26. inspired

inspired Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I am right here with you all staring at the phone and hitting the f5 key hoping for new positions to be posted. I've been searching since last August. I'm am trying to move to another state, so I guess I'll have to save enough to live off of while I sub so the schools can become familar with me. Good luck to everyone.

27. smalltowngal

Aug 20, 2008

lilmisses-you are the best!

28. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Awww, thanks! :wub: You've provided some kick-bootie responses to interview questions that helped me out, so it's the least I could do.

29. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

inspired, welcome to our fun little group! Good luck with your job search as well!

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2008

welcome aboard!!!... tell us, what state do you have in mind??

what state of mind are you in?

:rolleyes:

31. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Can't wait to see your pig fatten up with all the extra money you get.!!!!!!!!!:lol:

32. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I think the thing that frustrates me... and I'm sort of serious here, sort of tongue and cheek.. but the CBE will hire pedophiles (albeit accidentally) but there is no way I could get a job with them because my last partner teacher thought I was too nice and gentle.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I've never seen a front page story about a teacher being too nice..

I'm thinking of doing some continuing education.. or school at night.

What kind of degree's/certificates/designations are quick and can lead to a good job. I really don't have enough time to do a whole new degree... and the B.ed. for the most part seems to be a waste of paper for me.

I was looking into the Financial Planner Certificate. It's a 7 month program..but I can't tell if it will actually lead to a good job.

33. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 21, 2008

I went to the UE office today. So many people looking for work it was actually pretty depressing. All kinds of people. Then I got home to another rejection. ARGH!! I applied for a MS ESE position but I really doubt that I would be considered since all my experience is in elem but the worst they can do is say no. I'm getting pretty good at hearing the word "no" now.

34. smalltowngal

Aug 21, 2008

:hugs: MAT! I know its difficult. I have an interview for a sped inclusion aide position today at 3 in a school I interviewed at for a teaching position back in May. Not sure what I'll do if I don't get this position.

On a related note, what should I wear to the interview?

35. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

Well, it looks like I'm still stuck with an anorexic-looking pig for now. I tried calling the HR office all day long and never got through. I have a feeling that since the office is now closed for the weekend, I didn't get the job. Honestly, I don't mean to sound like whiner but I did NOT get a fair interview. The P and AP took the nearly 30-minute late person back during MY scheduled interview time, and they spent less than 10 minutes with me. The late person was given about 30 minutes. The annoying and ridiculously early person who was scheduled for 11AM was probably given at least 20 minutes. Sorry, I'm REALLY bitter and insulted. :sorry: :down:

Another district posted a couple of openings last night, but when I called this morning about them (I'm tired of using my expensive resume and brochure paper for jobs that are already filled), they informed me they already offered the positions to others. I interviewed at one of the schools last week.

Why in the world are districts posting openings that they already filled? This particular district updates their job vacancies every Friday evening, but on Wednesday evenings they add new openings. I've learned that I need to call about those Wed. postings before I apply since they've always been filled when I call offices on Thursday mornings. :mad:

36. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

How did your interview go, STG?

Also, I sent emails to 4myclass and reverie; let me know if you received everything. 2kitties, I responded to your PM.

:)

37. smalltowngal

Aug 21, 2008

lilmisses-I think what would have got me more upset was that they spent so much time with the late person. That person should have had to wait until after you had your interview since you were there on time. I hope that you hear something soon.

My interview went fine. She mentioned that I was overqualified for the position (as she said many she had interviewed were). I told her that my goal was to become a teacher in the district and that by working as an aide would allow me to become familiar with the curriculum and policies of the district. I made sure to mention all the sped students that I have worked with. She said that I would hear something tomorrow before the end of the day. We'll see!

38. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

Lilmisses, I am so sorry that you did not get a fair interview but maybe they got caught up in the orientation and have not made a decision yet? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you!:hugs:

(p.s. I love these heads)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  39. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

My fingers are crossed for you,too!:hugs:

40. inspired

inspired Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

Well, I've interviewed in Richmond VA and now I have my sights on Gwinnett County, GA.