Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

So MyC and STG- what exactly do we do? And, I'm changing right before my eyes-I didn't mention that I hung up on that HR lady-she didn't deserve that and it only made me fee worse about myself-My son asked what was for dinner and I just looked at him-it's not his fault either-why didn't anyone call or hire us? And how can we not take it personally? SMG-I've read a lot of your posts, you are extremely knowledgeable-What the Heck? and MyC-I loved your post about your terrific attributes-how can we not have jobs? I just think it is somehow my fault.

2. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

It's not your fault Beth561! Don't even think that~it's defeating the purpose and taking energy that you should be using otherwise. I know how bad it feels--hell, I haven't had a call for ages--but you have to keep in mind that budgets are being re-arranged, folks are gonna walk out, and principals are gonna get desparate. It happens every year. Don't give up...some of the best teachers I worked with were hired after school began and just "happened" to walk in after someone had walked out.

I know how hard it is not to take your frustrations out on someone else. I have no patience and will snap at my own kids when I'm upset. Find something to take your mind off of it....my favorite suggestion is to go to the store and put random objects in stranger's carts. You'd be surprised how many of them never even notice and just purchase it....like the pregnant woman who got a box of condoms :whistle: or you could find a security camera to pick your nose or fix your wedgie or a dozen other equally hilarious things.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2008

Beth-Its hard not to take it personally. I emailed a principal that had a position available that I did everything I could to get an interview, no interview so no offer. I emailed asking what advise he could give me. He basically said that I was doing everything right, its just about being at the right place at the right time. It stinks to think that way, and is one of the reasons why I went ahead and emailed all the principals here stating my interest in the hopes that maybe a teacher resigns in the next week or two and my name is fresh in their mind. I dont know what I'm going to do if I don't get hired.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2008

You mean like being a cashier at Wal-Mart???? :help:

What about me, folks my age are looking towards retiring soon! :| I just want to get my foot in the door, and last long enough to make tenure!

Or at least pay my car note before they come tow it away.....

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2008

There's always tomorrow
    for dreams to come true...

What was that from ...some Christmas cartoon.. I am sure...

Have faith...some people do make late night calls from their cell phones...

After all,
    Tomorrow is another day

(hoping that our careers and lives are not "Gone With The Wind")

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2008

Or come to the store 10 minutes before closing and annoy the hell out of us cashiers who are waiting for you to go home.

Put a load of stuff in your cart, and leave your wallet. Make a face and walk away, while I have to void out your entire sale, call over a manager, and lug all that crap back out to the floor.

Question every thing I ring up.

I honestly believe they only have 1 or 2 cashiers so 100 people can get in line and be frustrated at the world, and feeling like everyone here feels, and guess who has to deal with this? :|

They are too cheap to hire more people. They have 99 checkout lanes, and what do I hear all night? "You guys only have one cashier working??"

Yeah, and it's mean, and if I didn't know better, I would curse you out and give up this $7.75 and hr, but no... I am waiting on a real job. And you should be thankful I showed up to day to wait on your ungrateful behind!

But, if you told me you were a teacher out of work, I would hug you and say, oh, I understand. Let's open some candy, eat it, and insist they sell it to you half price!

A Cashier's Rant and Rave....

:mad:

7. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Beth, Monday I was lower than low:(. Tuesday I decided to get a grip. Wednesday I started calling all the schools listed in my parish (I'm in Louisiana) saying that "I am a certified teacher ... do you have any openings not listed yet" ( I had tried email and I think they must not look, just hit delete.) Some answered that no openings,click, some said you can bring your resume by and some actually said yes! I had 2 interviews yesterday and 2 today (more than all summer) The 2 today seemed promising, so if nothing else and I don't get hired, this week is awesome! And I so hope I do get a job!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2008

I am 3 months behind in car pmt

I can't give up the car, because I'll never be able to find decent work without it!

Can I trade it in for a smaller one, with lower payments?

Need advice before they tow it away.

And ruin my credit...

And I'll be back to square one... behind in bills and taking any job I can find to make due, and never being able to catch up..getting further in debt...

:unsure:
    :help:

9. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

My savings finally ran out this month and now I am having to borrow money from my mom...nice. :( Anyway, I am trying to get a part-time job now at night and will try to sub 3 days a week. If only I had a teaching job I wouldn't have to worry about doing all of this!

Maybe a ton of people will quite their teaching jobs after the first week and we'll all get calls! I know, that isn't a very nice thought...:unsure:

10. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I know this isn't much help but :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2008

awww! thanks!!

12. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

OHMYGOSH, that song is from one of my ALL-TIME favorite Christmas movies: Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer!! And now I have it in my head... Thanks. :p

Also a big thanks to MissAlli for the hugs. I needed them. :)

13. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I need a little advice. Ok, there is a school in my neighborhood that my son is zoned to. It just got a new principal. There was a pre-k opening and I was hesitating. Don't ask me why. I finally called a contact I know and asked him if he knew the principal and would he put in a good word for me. He actually worked very closely with this new principal and said he would be happy to call her for me. So he did and she said she was so upset because she had just hired someone for the position but she much prefers to hire from personal recommendations. So, next Thursday there is a "Meet the new principal" event at a friends house. I plan on going. Should I introduce myself as "Friend of your co worker looking for a job." or just "Mom in the neighborhood." Plus, I am also thinking that with a new principal a lot of teachers might be quitting, or she might decide to clean house. So there might be a lot of openings coming up shortly after school starts. What do y'all think?
    Gossamer

14. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Okay, y'all I think I got a job but I refuse to leave this club until I see the contract. Now it is not so much depression but Tums because I stressing that it won't happen. It doesn't start until Oct. but they said as long as everything goes according to plan I will start. I am only half excited. I am a much wiser person this year than last. I have experienced and heard enough that nothing is ever a guarantee especially when it comes to schools. This year has been a true eye opener for me. I can't believe how corrupt schools can be (at the admin level and school boards) It is a doggy dog world out there.
    Do not give up. When one door closes another opens up.

15. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

"You'd be surprised how many of them never even notice and just purchase it....like the pregnant woman who got a box of condoms :whistle: or you could find a security camera to pick your nose or fix your wedgie or a dozen other equally hilarious things.[/QUOTE]

Trinda,
    You crack me up all the time-I can just picture you doing that:toofunny:-And,you know what? Laughing really does make you feel better-I'm shocked but I really do.Thanks for the day brightner.Seriously maybe you should write a book and call it 101 ways to laugh through anything becuase I don't know how you come up with this stuff!:toofunny::rofl: :toofunny:

16. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

17. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Hi gossamer,
    Have your friend go with you and make the introductions-and bring your resume along-Good Luck-personal contacts area a great way to get your foot in the door!

18. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I hope everyday from now on is awesome for you in one way or another-you're wonderful-
    I hope you get the job,too-make sure you tell them that your friend in Fl thinks they are the lucky ones!
    :hugs:

19. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

It is like we belong to a secret society onto ourselves and one that only other teachers understand-it's like when you tell someone you are a teacher they are either in awe or act like we chose this because we couldn't play in the big leagues with the other adults! Do you know what I mean? I'm not sure I explained it correctly.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

I think I'm going out of my head..

Nothing else describes how I feel...

Quite like this song..

GOIN' OUT OF MY HEAD
    Little Anthony and the Imperials

GOIN' OUT OF MY HEAD
    Little Anthony and the Imperials

Well, I think I'm goin' out of my head
    Yes, I think I'm goin' out of my head
    Over you, Over you
    I want you to want me, I need you so badly
    I can't think of anything but you

And I think I'm goin' out of my head
    Over you, Over you

I see you each morning
    But you just walk past me You don't even know that I exist

Goin' out of my head over you
    Out of my head over you Out of my head day and night
    Night and day and night, Wrong or right

I must think of a way Into your heart
    There's no reason why My being shy Should keep us apart
    And I think I'm goin' out of my head

Goin' out of my head over you
    Out of my head over you Out of my head day and night
    Night and day and night, Wrong or right
    Night and day and night
    Wrong or right, day or night
    everyday, every, every day

21. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

how about "A change is gonna come" by sam cooke

22. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 8, 2008

This thread has really opened up my eyes to how difficult it is to get a teaching job today,and the things that teacher's have to put up with once they get one.It makes we feel lucky that I fortunate to have been able to stay in one school for so many years. and with tenure, do not work under a year to year contract.Yet, I still feel,I work hard and care about the children I teach.However knowing how difficult teaching is with disruptive children,administrators scared about their job security,the ridiculous pressure put on teachers about test scores,demanding parents who many times have no idea what the real situation is,Why do so many people want to be teachers and thus it is so difficult for good teachers to get a job?

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

This is crazy... Doing the same thing the same way, expecting something different

I'm going on interviews. They don't call back. I call them, they say they will get back to me. They ask me for transcripts. I send them. Nothing. I get calls from people who want to give me chump change. I say, I won't take nothing less than $20 bucks and hour. They say they will get back to me. Nothing. Like dating. This sucks. Can't you at least call me back and say you are not willing to pay me what I am worth. Oh, who would do that?

They talk about how the city schools are so terrible, and the kids have nothing compared to the suburban schools. They pay much more. I signed up to sub. They require you live in the city to work. I go to the job fair. Ok, fine! I'll sell my condo and move back. I send out 50 resumes. Nothing. They say sp. ed is high need, and those teachers don't have residency requirement. I see online openings. I email, snailmail, fax. NOTHING!!! I go to a charter school interview. They have no intention on paying more than $30k. This is crazy.

The debt counselors tell you that your housing expenses should not be more than 30% of your monthly income. Not counting transportation, food, gas, clothing, simply necessities.... how the hell to people expect us to survive on less that $3000 a month?

I didn't major in math. But I know this just does not add up.

It's just a vicious cycle of despair and poverty. If you can't make nothing, you can only afford to live in the worse areas. Then you can't have peace because you are concerned about safety, and you can't keep a car because you can't afford it. So you can't find the better jobs, because they are always further out in the suburbs. You can't even afford to work downtown, because the bus fare keeps going up. And who is going to hire an overqualified teacher for an office job?

I'm going to clean out my bank accounts, so they don't repo my car.

After this month, I don't know what I am going to do. :(

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

From this day forward, we are no longer just Mom's or Dad's in the neighborhood. We are players waiting to be recruited. We are boxes on the shelves in the stores. We are puppies in the shelter waiting to go home. you get my drift.

Dress professionally, bring your portfolio, and as soon as you get her alone (wait till she has food or a drink in her hand, she's less likely to move) and stick out your hand and give your 30 second speech!

Hi! I am Gossamer, Elementary Teacher. Currently, I am seeking a position where I can be challenged and grow. I have experience in grades K-4, and especially love (add your grade here). I realize you recently hired a pre-k teacher. However, I also realize with the start of a new school year, enrollment can quickly change. May I give you my resume (you have pulled it out) for future consideration?

Who can say no? It would be downright rude to say, "Call me monday... and not even bother to take your resume." That's why you have to have it out.

Almost like we are trying out for American Idol....running around in parties, carrying our CDs, and begging producers to listen to us!

That is as positive as I can be this morning...

I wish you luck!

BTW...you must do this everywhere you go now. PTA meeting, Girl Scout Meeting, Church picnic (yes I did that last year).

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

You must have been a fly on my ceiling.

What the hell is happening out there?! Can I get in and at least last 3 months? There's only 9 in a school year! Why can't they let you finish out the year, and then give you the ax?! :confused:

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

they have to know that we exist first...

sorry pal... I am really depressed today..

:sorry:

28. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 8, 2008

yesterday, got a call asking me to come in for an interview that day. So I go. During the interview, the p answered a phone call, left the room to speak with HR. I could hear every word. It was about me!!!! ARGH!! My insight score is not very good whatever that means. Then P goes on about how many people applied for the position and how P has so many interviews to do.

P today asks me to be succint and tells me that I am having second interview. Also mentions that around 100 people applied but tells me second interview questions. Will it ever end?

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

your who is not what?

this is not a cholersterol screening!

They are starting to tick me off! That's like the GPA post. I mean sheesh! You are out of school already! What difference does it make now? Like you are going to run out, spend $80 bucks, take the test over, and pray you don't get a LOWER score?

Isn't that what we are doing to our kids? NCLB???

Your score is not high enough...

Here you go MAT..

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

Seems like I gotta do wrong

The Whispers - Seems Like I Gotta Do Wrong Lyrics

another day has come and gone
    in a world where i don't belong
    another week has passed me by
    it's not because i didn't try

nobody saw me walking
    and nobody heard me talking
    seems like i gotta do wrong,
    gotta do wrong, gotta do wrong
    before they notice me

another job that i just can't get
    a nice apartment, the landlord just won't rent
    i go to bed, but my sleep just won't come
    my belly's empty and my brain is numb

nobody saw me walking
    before they notice me

seems like i gotta do wrong
    before they notice me

ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
    ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh

i go to bed, but my sleep just won't come
    my belly's empty and my brain is numb

nobody saw me walking
    before they notice me

yes, i do, oh, yeah
    before they notice me

31. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 8, 2008

Master you are the woman :)

The insight is free but you can only take it once. It's a huge psych test. I really don't want to work in that district anyway because they seem to have control issues.

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

I'm going for a walk.

I will try very hard not to go in the street.

Somehow, getting hit by a city bus seems very tempting right now...

:(

33. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

STOP THIS CRAP RIGHT NOW MPK!!!
    And I mean it-stop it-do not beat yourself up-
    Go reread the previous posts(what other type is there but previous?!) Or
    1.Write a letter to your new student's parents telling them how you loved watching their child grow this year and then tuck it away until next June when you can fill in the name and mail it.
    2.Go visit your dad and kiss him for me-(I don't have one).
    3.hold your arms straight out (like a t) and see how long you can last-must be at least six minutes.
    4. make a list of the things you worried about two years ago-be specific-bet you really can't remember,can you?
    5.remember the rocking chair theory-it gives us something to do but doesn't get us anywhere.
    6. see if you have some stuff lying around in your house that you can donate to someone who in in more need than us.
    OK-there are seven options for you to do-let me know which one you did.

34. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I just thought of something else-
    think of the time when some random baby smiled at you-
    (how can you not smile now.)

35. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

36. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Hey! we can't give up! Remember that Tom Hanks movie where he is lost on an island and tries to kill himself? It didn't work and then the tide brought something in. You never know when the tide will bring something in!
    Anyway, this is one place we understand your pain and know we are on an emotional roller coaster daily.
    God is on your side!!!

37. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Is anyone else in Texas hearing from any schools? Particularly in the DFW area? This is so aggravating! :( I have a job fair for my ACP this Saturday. How have job fairs worked out for you guys? Is it really just a cattle call?

38. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

second thoughts

reading these posts are so discouraging.I graduate in 2010. and I am already worred about the teacher market....I mean,all the teachers here did the same thing I am doing,I dont want to be in this situation.Maybe I should find a different major,but then again,no other field is safe either...ugh..I am trying to better my life and my situation and now nothing looks promising.

39. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 8, 2008

Where are you in Florida? Don't do what I did and get your eggs all in one basket. I promise that I'm not depressing all the time. I just come here and get it out when it gets a little hard. Despite everything that has happened I still want to teach. Some of the more rural counties have openings. You will need to be willing to relocate. That is unfortunately reality now. I can pretty much guarantee that you will graduate with thousands and you will all be scrambling for the same few jobs. If you go to counties like Lake, Highlands there would probably be less competition. The districts here all still keep going out of state and recruiting. I have no idea why and as a taxpayer it angers me that they waste that money. There are plenty of amazing teachers already here!

I don't mean to offend to anyone but I have been on interviews where the P's acted like having a degree from a FL college was dirt. I'm sorry but you are not going to insult my homestate and the state colleges where many of your students will attend.

40. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

"The districts here all still keep going out of state and recruiting. I have no idea why and as a taxpayer it angers me that they waste that money. There are plenty of amazing teachers already here!
    I'm sorry but you are not going to insult my homestate and the state colleges where many of your students will attend.[/QUOTE]

Matgrad,
    I agree completely-:2up:
    Are they really basically only hiring from out of state? What district are you in?