Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 31, 2008

Oh, that would be a dream :angel:

2. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

I don't know about glorified, but I was villified. And with my cold & pink eye, I'm certainly illified. :D Couldn't resist.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 31, 2008

Hope you're resting up so you're chillified. :whistle:

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 31, 2008

I got my last rejection from last week's interview. My letter said "we have chosen a better qualified candidate" ARGH!!!!

School starts for teachers on the 11th and I'm getting a little panicked. I will be doing the visit the school thing in a little bit.
    Chin up everyone! We know that we are the "most qualified candidate."

5. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

Got a 'looking for someone with more experience' call. The kicker is...she said they hadn't actually selected someone yet...and they had two positions open. Grrrr.

6. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

What are these people looking for? What is this elusive "qualification" that we are missing? Extra arms? A million master's degrees? 100 years experience in the classroom?

Come on. Since I have no "formal" teaching experience, I'll be the cheapest and the best person for your school. And money's tight right now, right? You could hire me and buy some new textbooks or something. I'm the best candidate, economically!

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

2 calls, 2 interviews! :D

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2008

Good way to look at it, hop.

Good luck MPK!!!! {{{good vibes}}}

9. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

You go girl! (((good vibes)))

10. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

Sorry,I don't think administrators have any idea what they are looking for.On one hand they want someone with new fresh innovative ideas,straight out of college and next time they want someone who has shown they are experienced in the classroom.I have heard my Principal tell the interviewing committee these two ideas on the same morning we were conducting interviews.

11. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

So what they want is someone who is experienced with fresh innovative ideas? Oh,and don't forget a low pay scale! Politics suck!

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

which resume do you want???

So that's why, when my bank account is -0...

I will apply for an aide job, and not tell them I am working on my Masters. If they see that, they will say I am overqualified.

When I see a Pre-k job, I will say I have experience in this area, and experience with multi-cultural families.

When I am in Wal-Mart, I just say I am teaching...otherwise, they will schedule me for every hour of the day.

And when I feel (fill) :haha: out sub applications, they won't know anything, except I have a credential.

Now, when somebody says they will pay me for my years of experience and education.....

I guess I gotta order some more transcripts! :( One from each school...and I might as well get one extra for my BA... like I got an extra $20 lying around!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

Oh...thanks for the good wishes!!! :D

14. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

:lol: So true! Which hat am I wearing today?

15. Ennasus03

Ennasus03 Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

HAHAHAHAHA. I got my first rejection letter. Apparently I was "extremely qualified" but they don't want "extremely qualified". They want the 5 that walked into their office with mommy and daddy who are teachers tailing behind. No offense what-so-ever to parents who are teachers. On both sides of my family, from my grandparents back like 150 years, they were alllllll teachers. I just don't like when they use that as their ticket to get whatever they want into their hands.

I know a girl who is a few years younger than I am. I'm going to tell you the truth, she isn't that smart. Quite ditzy and has absolutely no common sense. The Denny's that was 3 miles away from our school, she didn't know how to get there. She's just not all there..trust me. Well, mom and dad are teachers in our home school district. It's my dream job. After a million over-the-top perfect applicants that fought for this..guess who got it. My cell has been exploding with calls that sound a lot like, "DID YOU SEE WHO GOT THE ****** JOB??!!!! WOW SHE DIDN'T HAVE ANY HELP THERE OR ANYTHING!!!!!!" So, I'm not the only one who is in amazement.

Sorry, that's what this forum is for right? To vent? Well I'm venting in a rather harsh way. That place wouldn't have worked out anyway. We made the decision to move to a totally different area, but ya know. It just hit me kind of hard. Uggg....*glug glug glug glug glug*

16. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

:sorry:This is what is wrong with the job market today,not only in teaching,it's all over.It's who you know, more than how qualified you are,:confused: to get a job.I am not surprised that your not too smart,ditzy friend was given the job.Hopefully Her parents can help her enough that she will not ruin the education of the children in her class.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 1, 2008

It's sad. I am all but certain that if I hadn't moved away from my home town, I would have been hired to replace my mother when she retired from her teaching job. That school is notorious for hiring spouses and children of employees as well as former students (which I also was). HOWEVER, I made the decision to move to another state where nobody knows who I am and have struggled for three years to find a full time job. At least I know I'm on my own merits and not my connections.

18. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Neopotism can open the door but the ability to perform is what keeps that door open. I think you should keep an eye on that position, Ennasus03, it very well may open up again.:whistle:

19. BSUTeacher

BSUTeacher Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

So heres my story. I recently moved to Oklahoma, I have had 3 interviews- one in which the P told me he hired the person he has known for years (why interview me then?) I email and call every school within 1 hour of where I live but no one every calls me back or emails me back. When I do get a hold of someone the position is already filled. How can I get a job if no one answers my calls or emails showing I am interested in the job!?

20. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Wow... they really rubbed that salt deep into the wound, didn't they?

BSU, I feel your pain as well. I've been trying for months to get in contact with a higher-up in another district and once showed up at the office to speak with them... nothing. I'm really getting frustrated.

The school I visited earlier this week filled their position. I really do have this sinking suspicion that the secretary threw my materials out. She also made sloppy marks all over my cover letter (circled the grade-- why? They only have one position-- along with something else I couldn't make out). I wasn't interested in working at the school anyway, but still! Come Monday morning I'll do the same thing: visit schools to drop off materials and hope that the trips aren't a total waste of gas.

21. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

Cheer up folks! If it means anything, today is August the 1rst and I've had 3 phone calls wanting me for interviews already....they're getting nervous.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

ditto!! Almost every job I looked at last year is open again!

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

btw... has anyone heard of this place??

http://www.sub-teachers.com/

I signed up, but didn't realize I had to call them every day, like a temp agency. I figured they didn't have anything so they didn't call me.

Got a letter reminding me of the dress code and such. So I called, and they said, yes I need to call, but my area has new boss..and she will be looking out for me.

Worth a shot... anything is at this point!

24. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

This is how my weeks this summer has been: Monday - feeling great, optimistic, know I going to get a job.:)
    Tuesday - still feeling great, optimistic, know that the phone will ring.;)
    Wednesday - not so great or optimistic, hoping the phone will ring.:unsure:
    Thursday - disappointed but still hopeful.:confused:
    Friday - depressed, feel like I will never get to teach children again:(
    Saturday - how low can I go:help:
    Sunday - beginning to think about Monday and it starts all over ....

25. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

OMG-Junebug-that's exactly how I feel.
    Stop the roller coaster-I want to get off!!!

26. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 3, 2008

great summary - this is how I felt too!

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2008

Exactly how I feel!!

28. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Lets try to come up with a new way of viewing our days...
    I'll start-
    Monday-feeling ready to cross off another item on my need-to-do-list.
    Tuesday- feeling .......OK, I give up--I'm going back to Junebug's list.

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2008

this is cute

Copied from an actual suburban chicago school dist website...

Notice to Applicants
    If you want...

the highest salary schedule in the country
    a classroom filled with upper-middle class, college bound students
    a tightly structured, easily administered curriculum
    well ordered, problem free days
    someone to tell you how to teach...
    pass the link for this application to someone with more imagination, more drive...and more guts.
    If, on the other hand, you want...

a good salary schedule with excellent fringe benefits
    students representing a thorough mixture of socio-economic, racial and ethnic backgrounds
    a comprehensive, flexible curriculum designed to meet a complete range of abilities and needs
    some problems and frustrations, but with a chance to grow professionally
    an opportunity to experience success and learn from failure...
    bear with us and complete this form. We may have something to offer each other.

Is it just me, or doesn't this sound a bit sarcastic and cynical? these school websites are a trip! some show everything including salary scale! others are just barely under construction. most are linked to a central application site. if you fill out one application, you can just click and paste and do several districts.

thought I would brighten everyone's day with a little sunshine... :rolleyes:

30. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

Master Pre-K,
    Where do I find the schools listed in the first part of the announcement? Oh never mind,nobody would ever leave their job in these schools.

31. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

Is it just me, or doesn't this sound a bit sarcastic and cynical?"

I think they really get it.
    P.S.(Sounds like a district that I would like to work in.)

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

Two more rejections this morning!! Argh! One week till work week and nothing. I keep reminding myself that I didn't get hired last year till the third week of school but still it is extremely demoralizing.

I've cleaned and organized the entire house this summer. I think I should be in better homes and gardens now. It's that organized. On the plus side, I still have four months of unemployment till I absolutely would have to start subbing again.

33. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

You're right MAT. I got hired Nov. 9th. There are
    definitely more jobs being posted every day,so it's just a matter of time-I figure eventually everyone else will get hired and then they'll say "Oh, yeah...what about that application we got from that Beth person?":rolleyes:

34. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

Why do some place hire so late in Oct or Nov?

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2008

food 4 thought...

I have come to the understanding that I have been very lucky to have worked for social service agencies, that paid me very well. I have also realized that my public school positions were very stable, and less likely to kick me out in the middle of the year, let alone middle of the week.

So, I will stop chasing this dream of a high paying Head Start job, and learn to reduce my expenses, and pursue a public school position. The Head Start jobs helped me build my social security. The regular teaching jobs will build my teacher retirement.

The Head Start jobs have not worked because they always have problems that they refuse to fix, and I can't stand accidents waiting to happen. I speak up, and I am out.

I will sub before becoming an aide, because I will have steady work and make less pay as an aide. As an aide, I am certain to open my mouth and be out of a job since I am over qualified. (That takes me back to the Head Start jobs...speaking up, and getting put out.) I remind myself that I have subbed for an entire year, and still had a roof over my head and food on the table.

So, I am thankful for my home, and the food that I have, and the good friends and support I have found here.

Carry on, my friends... I'll be back later...

36. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I am in need of Tums and Rum. In a big way. Send me a round of both, please.

37. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

MPK, that was... interesting.

Today was somewhat productive. I finally got in touch with one district's HR director and will be going in on Monday to talk about possible employment (I've interviewed with HR, all of my materials are in, yadda yadda yadda... I just want to know what's next as far as getting hired). I also visited four schools in my dream district. School 1 is awesome and beautiful and they're still taking resumes and interviewing. The secretary at School 2 was pleasant and when I asked if they were still interviewing, she pauses and says, "We're accepting resumes", in a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" sort of way. So that school is a bust. However, her personality really brightened when she saw my brochure. School 3 has the sweetest secretaries and they were kind of enough to inform me that the position was offered to someone else (meaning they had the position filled before it was posted online... but the school had a few openings earlier this summer and the P likely picked from his best candidates from interviews), BUT that person hadn't accepted it yet. If this person doesn't notify HR this week then the position will be opened again (please, please, please have this person go elsewhere!!). School 4 would be a fabulous place to work since it's fairly close to my house... a 5 minute commute would be a dream! I like the environment, I like the grade, I like everything about it.

Now, let's just hope that one of these schools gets back to me this week!! The nerves and anxiety are starting to make me physically ill! :(

Good luck to everyone else!

38. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I need to learn to be more like you: grateful for what I have and knowing that things will be okay. I can't believe a fabulous school hasn't picked you up!

39. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

Rum and Tums coming up TemperanceFaith. :) Why so low? I thought you had a job????

40. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I would be highly suspect of this person who told you that you gave the worst interview, especially given that he came to your house--somrthing's wrong here.
    Did he tell you why?
    Don't take it to heart.