Care to join my Rum, Tums, and Depression Club???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieABC123, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

Actually, unions can be open shop or closed shop. If they are closed shop, you must join. That sucks. I had several jobs like that. One was a lousy part time retail job! They union dues were more than what I was earning! They kept threatening me saying if I didn't start paying dues, they would deduct them from my check, so I quit!

I got issues with the unions. I had a thread on them awhile back. My beef is that until you pass probation (90 days), they really can't help you anyway. And, most union reps are chicken, and don't want to make the princpal mad, so they don't do their jobs. Finally, IMO..once you get the union involved, your name is mud, and you gotta walk the straight and narrow for 180 days from then on. If you so much as sneeze and someone says 'bless you' and you don't say thank you, princpal will right you up for being insubordinate and disrespectful to others!

I know they help keep workplace safe, and manage good salaries...but I never felt they were worth all that money they took from me! :mad:

2. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

:2up::2up::2up::2up:

Such Great News--You deserve it and they are lucky to have you!!! Congratulations!!!!

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

At will just means they don't have to pay unemployment, because you were fired during probation, and there is no cause! You have to have a reason for being terminated, and at-will makes them exempt from that rule. It also means they can let you go at 2:00 pm if a parent decides they are moving, and you no longer have a one-on-one child to supervise, as an aide.

Except for those of us under contract, we know we can leave at any time, two week notice or not. that is just customary, and makes a soft landing, and better references. and you can turn in your badge and keys, and sign off that you don't owe any money. But if you are mad, you walk out. And when they are ticked off at you,they never give you two weeks!

Never.

Personally, I think we are all at will employees. If somebody doesn't like you, they find a way to get rid of you.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

Yay! Woo hoo. Now, you must turn in your keys, your badge, and call to check in once a month, to make sure you are doing well. :party:

seriously! That wouldn't be such a bad idea! That way, when you get depressed, we will help!!!

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

congratulations!!! :D

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

Master Pre-K, the Friendly Ghost

I had an interview for pre-k job, and they gave me that two hour office/computer test, and told me to go back to site for more paperwork. Then, they gave me forms for a background check/fingerprinting and a drug test.

I know that means an offer! But nobody would say this. Secretary asked how soon can you start? So I said, we haven't discussed salary yet, can you give me a range? And the secretary said they start teachers at $14, but I should be much higher.

What is 'much' higher??

So here I was in an unfamiliar town, trying to find out where the drug screening clinic was, because the other clerk said, again... how soon can you start? I had to do this within 24 hours.

Within 24 hours of what? Still no offer. So I said can I talk to somebody about the salary. Everyone was at lunch, they said they would call me back by Friday. I took the drug test and did the fingerprinting the next day.

No calls. Secretary also asked for my original transcripts. Hmmmm... these cost $5 each, I keep showing copies, and they ask for originals...I sent a thank you letter along with set of transcripts.

Getting worried. Now they have EVERYTHING on file to make me a ghost employee!* I don't even know if they are willing to offer me what I want. But I sure as heck won't take $14!

Should I call if nobody calls me by 2pm today??

*Ghost employees, or ghost payroll is an illegal practice uncovered by city inspectors. They complete all documents in a file on a person, and never hire or pay them, or fire them, and still show this person as an employee. That way, when they are audited, it looks like they have qualified staff - but they don't. :unsure:

7. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

Of course I'll check in! I love the RTD group... I'm sad I have to give up the rum!

Also, I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers :2up:

8. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

How crazy strange?!?!?!?!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

Yes! They do it with kids all the time! Need x amount of kids to keep enrollment figures for funding. They will put their own nieces/nephews/grandchildren, anybody in a file...and keep kids who have dropped too. When auditors come out, they check attendance, and they will lie and say these kids are still there. That is why they do random spot checks, and count the kids!

It is sad! :(

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

this can't be good...

So I called, and the secretary says... "I didn't say it would be MUCH higher than $14 an hr. I just said it would be higher than $14. I can't tell you an exact salary, but director will review information and personnel should be getting back with you today."

I can't accept less than $20 per hr. I just can't. It's too far, and I know I am qualified, and can earn more.

:unsure:

called another program, said they are waiting on approval letter... sometime in July/August... and she will bring me in.

sigh...

waiting.....

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 28, 2008

The Waiting Game is even more nerve-wracking than The Dating Game (and I don't mean the one with the bad theme song). :p

I have no Tums or Rum here, but there's a ton of junk food I keep eating. This isn't good considering I'm probably going to have to spend an upcoming weekend hanging out with an old boyfriend who always told me I was fat. He's nicer now but I still cringe.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

No fair... you have possible offer and old boyfriend who is taking you out!

We are jealous!

This is the story of my life! Will I ever have a good home, a good car, a good job, and a good man all at the same time???

:dunno:

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Still waiting to hear back from two interviews. no rejections in the mail today...

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 28, 2008

Oh, you misunderstood. The old boyfriend is someone I'd NEVER date again, despite his now being much nicer since his ex-wife dumped him. He's now found a gal who won't take his crap, and I've found a husband who puts up with mine.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

wait... you have a husband and an old boyfriend and you're going out with him...

this was another thread...

having a 'date' with ex-friend when married.

too early for me...didn't have breakfast yet...

I know...he's just a friend...

but again.. I am jealous

You have two guys and I have none!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

Saving gas and money. Staying home, and emailing resumes. Supposed to be 95 degrees tomorrow. I will stay in again. Figures, it is the end of July.

No calls or mail over here either...

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 28, 2008

Oy, that one, you can HAVE. Hairy back, sloped forehead, total throwback to my days of low self-esteem (and that was before he lost most of his hair). Also, bear in mind that I'll be there with my husband and at least TWO OTHER EX BOYFRIENDS will be there, and it's partially a camping trip, partially a wake for a friend (one I didn't date) who passed away last fall. Trust me, I may still need that Tums.

Have I ever mentioned that I lead a rather odd life outside of the classroom? :whistle:

18. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Can I join? I have been looking for a job since last August and still haven't been hired. I have had several interviews, but they always choose someone with more experience or someone they think would be "A better fir for the team" whatever that means.
    Gossamer

19. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I'm in now. No call back from a P who said he'd interview me, but must've found someone else. I am awaiting a rejection letter! Also, this article was in today's paper:
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/workinglife/article743476.ece
    200+ applicants applying for one position. Sounds like the story everywhere.
    But hey, they're still hiring bus drivers!

20. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

ummmmm....I don't think I have 3 ex-boyfriends.....yup, but just 3 and one was an ex-fiancee at that. Interesting indeed:woot:

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

gossamer and hopscotch, you have plenty of company in TX and FL, just look around!!!

we have no idea what we are waiting for, or what is going to happen...

I am surviving off of savings, and minimum wage job... I can't even go back to office work, because I didn't get any calls last time I tried...don't think they want to take me, because I have been teaching. It was a lot easier the other way around, working as a temp and then applying for teaching jobs.

I wish I could sub and temp. Maybe there is still hope. I took a test recently, and did okay. Everything is online now. You feel out millions of forms and you just sit...kinda like now. My problem is I am paranoid...too many schools copying my life away, I don't need temp agencies with my social security too!

sigh..

22. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

Hopscotch,
    You're in my area!! Yeah the competition is brutal this year! I have my master's, multiple certifications, good references from administrators but still no job!!! I'm waiting to hear back from one interview but as they were going to make a decision yesterday and I've heard nothing. Don't think I got that one. The job market in Florida is so depressing!!

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I dropped off my resume, cover letter, and a tri-fold brochure (quick shout-out to members of this site who are so generous with their ideas) to a school yesterday. Normally secretaries take it back right away to the principal's office... this one didn't. Paranoia is starting to set in-- what if she put my information in the circular file? I'll call tomorrow to see if the principal received my information.

Hrrmmm... :/

To make things even more frustrating is that both my and my husband's cars are giving us problems. We haven't done much for my car (it's 10 years old, has over 141K miles on it, and we're getting rid of it this fall... it's not worth sinking any money into it), but my husband's car is costing us an arm and a leg.

24. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

MATgrad (or any other Floridian), I left FL 4 years ago. A friend called and told me that they had gone to total inclusion--no ESE classes at all--even the severe kids were in reg. class and had to take the FCAT. :eek: Was he pulling my leg or telling the truth????

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

I have good news and bad news...and no news

Well, they called back, you know the $14 hr job?

They made me an offer. I asked, "What is the salary?"

It's $15 per hr. :eek:

I said, "I am certified, have background in sp. ed, and experience, and I am accustomed to earning much more."

She says, "This is non-profit, not corporate and that is what we pay."

I said, "I have worked in non-profit as well, and I KNOW Head Start teachers receive federal funding for their positions, and I can't accept an offer for less than $20 per hr."

"Oh, well, let me talk to the director. She is heading over to the office, and I will call her right away. And I will get right back to you."

(needless to say.... she did not get back to me. :unsure:)

But I got another call, and they want me to come in, but they kept putting different people on the phone. :huh: Finally, I talked to director and I asked more questions than she did! I asked about salary, and she said, $40k to start.

See, I know I wasn't making this up.

Said she would call me back.

(but she didn't call me back either.... :crosseyed)

26. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

We still do have ESE classes but a child has to be really severe to be self-contained. I have seen inclusion classes that are really no more than just larger ESE classes. Gen ed parents do NOT want their kids in with ESE kids. They're afraid (and in some cases rightfully so) that their kids will be babysitting ESE students and they will receive little attention. Imagine having 13 ESE students with 8 Gen Ed kids in one room. YIKES!!! All children sit for the FCAT. It's part of NCLB. They may be exempt from it being used as retention but sometimes they will have to fail it once before they get an automatic by.

It's really frustrating trying to teach in that kind of classroom setting. My only interviews this summer have been for inclusion classrooms because I both special ed and elementary ed certifications. They can give me both with no additional support. Yeah that's really going to benefit the kids. So I have a larger class with a massive range of abilities and IEP's to meet. Sorry I will get off my soapbox now.

27. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

:down:
    WE have just begun to have inclusions classes placed in my school. Last year we had a kindergarten class with 14 special Ed and 14 reg Ed children,2 teachers and 2 paras. By October ,it as a disaster.It was hard to tell the SE from the RE. This year we are required to have two inclusion classes K and 1. It hopefully will go better than last year,but there is no real training given to try and make the idea work.

28. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

After an exhaustive search for quality candidates, we have offered the position to an extremely qualified individual. Good luck on your job search.

You know what is really crazy about this email,Trinda? They say they "offered the position to an extremely qualified individual." like we are suppose to be happy for them!:mad::mad::mad:

29. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

Yup, that's what I thought too. And how exhaustive was it if they didn't even bother to call me to interview?

30. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

That was always my argument about inclusion...is it the least restrictive for the gen. ed. kids if there are so many behaviors and academic issues that they are twiddling their thumbs? It's not fair to the rest of the class. I'm sad to see this :( Or hear it, I suppose I should say.

31. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

So what is the answer? I really don't know.

32. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

Beats me! :huh:

33. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I had an interview today..it was alright, but I doubt I will get it. Even if I was offered it, I'm not sure I would take it. It is really a different setup than what I'm used to, and I think I would get overwhelmed. What bugged me though was they couldn't believe I drove an hour to get to the interview (umm....did you look at my resume?) and the vice-principal kept sucking sweet tarts...loudly. Really annoying.

But at least when I got home another school left a voice mail wanting to set up an interview.

34. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 30, 2008

My mind is all abuzz right now. I have a 2nd interview on Friday for a district (they're actually taking me out to lunch) but it's for a K-4 position that sounds rather intimidating. The same day, actually that morning, I have an interview for a 2nd grade position at a swanky private school. I'm afraid I'm going to get offered the K-4 position before I have a chance to hear back from the private school, and that I'm going to feel like I HAVE to take the K-4 position for the whole 'gift horse, mouth' reason.

I'm very stressed right now.

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

ouch, that sucks...

'we have offered the position to another candidate' would have sufficed...

no sense it making it sound like they don't think they you are extremely qualified! :mad:

You are just bonafied, glorified, and highly qualified.

See, at this point I would send them a letter, and highlight my certificate that shows

Highly qualified NCLB teacher!

well, I am you know... :whistle:

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

I had a job take me to lunch, well...it was a company barbque, but they didn't offer me the job! But I ate good that day! :rolleyes:

They shouldn't offer you the position in person, they should say they will be in contact with you. (probably the next day) If they do make an offer, take a breath and say..

"I am very honored, but if you don't mind, I would love to go home and discuss this with my spouse first.. You understand.." ;)

You didn't say yes, or no. You have the right to think it over. If they can't understand that..they are too pushy for me!

37. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 30, 2008

Yes, I've never had a job offer on the spot, but this is a really rural district and I have no idea how they do things out there on the prairie ;)

We're going to Olive Garden. Yay free food!

I don't have a spouse, but I would definitely want to talk it over with my family in any case.

Thanks, I feel better already. :hugs:

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

sure...you're welcomed... :)

Now, lay low on the garlic..in fact, pass up the Ceasar salad, and easy on the cheese (well...good luck with that! :rolleyes:) Hee hee. that waitress is busy shaking cheese on everything!!!

So tell them you want to talk it over with your fiancee... they don't have to know you don't have one. ;) If they get all personal and ask when is the wedding...say...oh- not until 2 years from now. Then hopefully they will forget.

See, it sounds better to ask your spouse for approval, than your family.

39. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I think I'm gonna go for the salad/breadstick/soup combo... that salad is to DIE for.

Fiancee? But I don't have a RING! :lol:

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2008

ok, we can't pull this one off.... well, save me a bread stick!

Good luck!!!! I hope you get the dream offer!!! I hope you get both offers, then you can PM a few people and give them the info about the job you don't want! :p

We'll take your leftovers!