Cards to injured soldiers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 101dalmatian, Dec 8, 2006.

1. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Dec 8, 2006

Thought some of you might like to do this with your class or family.

A request from a disc jockey for the Holiday Season:

Season's greetings. I don't usually send alot of personal emails to our listeners, but this time I'm making an exception. I hope you're enjoying our holiday music and that it's getting you 'into the spirit'. No doubt you are currently, or shortly will be, buying and mailing holiday cards to friends and family.

I have a special request. If you can, please send an extra one (or 10, or 20) to our American military heroes who are recuperating from wounds sustained in Iraq. I would hate to think that there are young men and women at Walter Reed who will spend the holiday in a hospital, thinking they've been forgotten. Please enclose a short note with your card, thanking them for their service and personal sacrifice. They are the protectors of our freedom, we must let them know. Your small act of kindness will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the address... A Recovering American Soldier c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center 6900 Georgia Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20307-5001 If you would, please forward this message to your email friends, family, co-workers, and anyone else you can. Thank you! Mark Robertson 98.7 The River

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Dec 8, 2006

What a great idea! I got an email from our school bookkeeper about a program Xerox has that will send cards to soldiers stationed out of the U.S. It just takes a minute to log on and send a free card. Here is the website: http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html

4. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 10, 2006

I would LOVE to do this with my 7th grade English students after they take their exams next week. Let me clarify. I can ship all of the letters in an envelope to that address, right? These are soldiers who have fought in Iraq/Afghanistan and have been injured so they've been sent back to the US, right? Or are these cards being sent to Iraq/Afgh. through this location? I just want to get the story right to tell my students. I'd also love to send the info to the rest of the English dept. Please let me know.

5. darzie

darzie Companion

Dec 10, 2006

Do they all have to be sent in separate envelopes, or can they be mailed together in one??

6. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Dec 12, 2006

They are US Soldiers who were injured in combat. No, they are not being sent overseas. Many soldiers who are injured are sent to Walter Reed for medical treatment. Yes, I believe they can be sent in one envelope.

Thanks for supporting our troops!!