Cards for the Soldiers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by blessedteacher, Nov 6, 2009.

1. blessedteacher

blessedteacher Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

Hello. I did cards with my class last year..were we made cards for the soldiers; however I cant find any programs like that this year. I cant even remember the name of it. Can someone help me out with some names of programs like this? Thank you so much in advance. :)

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 6, 2009

www.anysoldier.com On this site, you can serach for a contact by branch of service, state, etc. They will give you a contact name and address and how many soldiers they are representing. It is mainly designed for people who want to send supplies to the troops, but they really love getting anything from the states.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2009

We sent Christmas cards last year--but I think all the information is at school. I'll try and see if I can find the name of the program.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Nov 6, 2009

Not sure if this is what you are thinking about or if this is the same, but I had some pen pals from soldiersangels.com. I still write with one soldier, we have been writing for a few years now.

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Nov 7, 2009

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

Check with your local VFW or American Legion- they may have addresses of community members who are currently serving in the military.

8. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 8, 2009

Great Project

We haven't done this but I love the idea. I'm going to see how many other teachers in my school want to get involved.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

Here's the info from the American Red Cross:
    http://www.redcross.org/holidaymail

specifically:
    "
    How Holiday Mail works
    We have established an extensive process to ensure all cards sent to our service members are safe and arrive in time for the holidays. Holiday cards will be collected through a unique P.O. Box address from Monday, November 2 through Monday, December 7*.

First, cards from across the nation must be sent to this address:

Holiday Mail for Heroes
    P.O. Box 5456
    Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

Every card received will be screened for hazardous materials by Pitney Bowes and distributed to participating Red Cross chapters nationwide. Once the cards arrive at the Red Cross chapters, they are sorted and reviewed by volunteers who then distribute them to service members, their families and veterans in communities across the country.

.Please don’t forget to follow these guidelines while preparing your holiday greetings!

Do...

Sign all cards
    Entitle cards “Dear Service Member, Family or Veteran”
    Limit cards to 15 per person or 50 for school class or business group
    Bundle groups of cards in single, large envelopes
    Don’t...

Send letters
    Include personal information such as home or email addresses
    Use glitter – excessive amounts can aggravate health issues of wounded recipients
    Include inserts of any kind as they must be removed in the screening process