Car Wash Theme

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Sabby12s, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Jul 6, 2006

Does anyone have any good activities for a Car Wash theme?

I already have washing the toy cars, painting with matchbox cars and then washing them as well as painting with squeeges.

Any other creative ideas? More specificially I need some circle time activities and art/science/cooking project activities.

:thanks: :D

3. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

For science, you could do the experiment which shows how Detergent gets rid of dirt.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

oh a squeegie! You could have a peice of plexi glass and let the kids soap in up and 'clean the window'.

art- definitely bubble fun... you let them soap up the tables and put a peice of paper on top (if you add tempra to it)

5. PB&J

PB&J Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

For cooking (which would also include science and math by counting and measuring) you could probably find a car shape cookie cutter and bake and decorate cookies.

Use same cookie cutter idea with playdoh.

circle time: Ask what kinds of jobs are at the car wash. Lead into dramatic play...some wash the car, some vaccuum, some take the money, some are the customers, etc.

Dance to the song Working at the Car Wash

If you have big riding toys you could do a fun water day outside letting the kids drive and wash the big cars!

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2006

Read "Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car." I also have simple sequencing pictures (4-step) of washing a car. I'd also put toy cars in the water table with rags and sponges! You could go on a car hunt outside. Give each child a color to hold and have them count how many cars of that color they see.
    Kim

7. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Jul 11, 2006

Thanks for the ideas!

I was really stuck because we don't have any big riding toys and we already doing a lot with water because of our other themes. These ideas will definitely help me fill in the blanks!

Anything else?

8. gospelcharlie@h

gospelcharlie@h Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Here are some cute books about car wash:
    Car Wash;Steen,Sandre; Sluggers' Car Wash Murphy,Stuart,J; Scrubby-bubbly car wash O'Garden,Irene
    Hope this is helpful for the future.

9. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Aug 23, 2006

I was downloading some children's songs at walmart.com, and saw a CD of Larry the Cucumber and Bob the Tomato singing the 70's! And on it was "CAR WASH"! You can listen to it- it's funny!

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 24, 2006

Here is a group activity. Line the children up in two lines facing each other. Choose one child to be the "car." Send him/her throught the car wash. The children must use words that make the person shine. Like "good friend" or "great sharer."

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 24, 2006

I think the mailbox has a car wash theme... If I happen to come across the edition (not sure if it was here or I saw it at the library--) I'll post---

12. mrod

mrod Rookie

Aug 26, 2006

Get a cutout of a car and laminate the car. Then have available shaving cream with differnt tints of food coloring. Encourage children to take the shaving cream place it on the car add some food coloring and dirty it up. The kids love to write in the shaving cream and smear it all around the car. When the the children are done they take a squeegee to clean the car up.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 26, 2006

We used different types/sizes of cars and vehicles for painting.... just run the car over paint, then paint on paper. My kids liked that the different cars had different types of wheels so made different tracks.

Then you can wash them when you're done :)