capturing kids hearts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by missred4190, Aug 19, 2007.

1. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

The school I am student teaching at is beginning a new program this year called "Capturing Kids' Hearts." Does anyone have experience with this program, seen it in action? The basic principle seems to be that you can't teach a child (get into his mind) until you have established a relationship and that sense of respect and importance for the child (the heart). Common sense, really, but I was just wondering about others' experiences with it. Thanks! :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2007

I haven't been in this specific packaged program but it does fit into my philosophy. I use cooperative discipline strateies in my classroom which call on teachers to create classrooms where students feel capable, connected and contributing. The classroom climate is based on mutual trust and respect, is proactive and creates a community of learners where there is safety in taking risks and support of each learner...

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

This year I am using the FISH Philosophy and it seems to be similar. Basically, we will live by 4 practices in our room to make it a good place to be. 1. Play (have fun with daily activities) 2. Make their day (make others' day with compliments, helping, being a good friend 3. Be here (be here ready and on task on a regular basis) and 4. Choose you attitude (only you can decide your attitude so make it a positive one)
    I am really exctied to do this program this year and I think it will work out perfectly since I hold weekly class meetings. I am looking foward to seeing a positive classroom climate this year!

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 20, 2007

I, along with 3 other teachers, my principal, and a board of education member attended the 3 day training session for Capturing Kids Hearts in Hartford, Ct. 3 years ago. It was an intense, fun, and very personal experience for each one of us. To thoroughly understand and implement the program in your classroom I would strongly recommend attending the conference. If you can't attend the conference then I highly recommend a trained counselor from the Capturing Kids Hearts program come to your school and explain the program to you and show you how it should be implemented in the classroom. I feel, though, that you will still not get the whole picture this way. I use many of the techniques in my room. (This conference is expensive!)

6. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I went to a "Capturing Kids' Hearts" training a couple of years ago as a new teacher. I loved the program and have implemented many of the techniques in my classroom. The main thing that I do is shake each child's hand as they enter my room in the morning and give them a hug (side by side hug) each afternoon as they leave. At the beginning of the year, the students don't know what to think, but within a few days they are waiting at my door with their hand out and know that they must give me a hug before they leave for the day. I strongly recommend attending a conference if you can.