caps & gowns

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Butterfly4, May 20, 2008.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

May 20, 2008

Two question for the teachers of 4-5 yr olds.(kids that will go to Kindergarten in the fall)

How many of you have preschool graduation?
    If you do have it, who has their kids wear caps and gowns?

We have four pre-k classrooms at our school. Each teacher does graduation how she wants. One class out of the four are using caps and gowns. My class is not, now I have a parent going bananas because she just found out that other class is and we are not.

One class does a pot-luck picnic lunch and has the kids do a few songs under the pavilion and then passes out diplomas. Two classes do it at a nearby church. We do it in our classroom...it's not as formal as the church, but more than the picnic. It's just driving me crazy that this parent being so difficult (she was complaining about something else yesterday morning...now this yesterday afternoon).

3. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

May 20, 2008

Our school dictates how we do graduation. We are having the ceremony at a nearby cultural center and yes the children will be wearing caps and gowns. If it were my decision we would just have an end of year celebration and there would be no caps and gowns. In my opinion graduation is for the adults and the children don't quite get it.

4. wItalia

wItalia Rookie

May 20, 2008

At our center we have a "celebration of learning" our 3 classrooms with children that are transitioning all get together. The children sing some familiar songs, each class has a special song, poem or play that they do we hand out a special certificates and gifts and we all have pizza and ice cream.

5. msaly

msaly Comrade

May 20, 2008

I have VPK kids and they all graduate. We use a stage at a nearby elementary school. They wear caps and gowns, sing a fun song, and a graduation song(about our school) then they line up, we call their name and they come get their diploma, after everyone has their diploma they throw their caps. they dont get to keep the caps and gowns but they do get to keep the tassles off the caps.

the graduated last week, they had a blast!

6. prekteach10

prekteach10 Rookie

May 20, 2008

We have a graduation ceremony for our PreK class. We hold it on a Sunday at our local park. Each child wears a cap and gown. Parents can purchase both the cap and gown or just the cap. During the ceremony the children sing a song(about graduation) and then the teacher calls them up by name and they receive their diploma. Afterwards is a picnic lunch and the parents bring a side dish. The center also owns two bounce houses that the children may play in. The whole thing last for 2 hours.

7. tracer330

tracer330 Rookie

May 20, 2008

our graduation is on friday evening; we do it out on the playground (pleeeeease don't rain!!!!) our kids do wear caps and gowns; my class is the only preK in our center, so we're the only ones involved in graduation; i remember (or maybe i've just seen pictures) when i had my preschool graduation we just all got dressed up and our teachers made "caps" from styrofoam bowls

8. memeskids

memeskids Rookie

May 20, 2008

We do have graduation for our preschoolers with caps and gowns that the parents purchase. The children sing a couple graduation songs and put on a small skit. It's a very short ceremony with refreshment afterwards. The kids do love the attention and parents love to see their child all dressed up in the caps and gowns. Our preschoolers graduate next week and I am looking forward to going to the ceremony as I have had some of these kids in my classroom.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 21, 2008

I am anti -- kids performing for needs of adults. So, I do not let the teachers make a big deal of graduation. Breaking with tradition or doing different things for different rooms is hard.

Best practices says to make it child centered. Let that be your guide.

10. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

We have one class each of PK3,PK4 & K. Our end of year program consists of each class singing a few songs, reciting Bible verses, fingerplays, counting, reading, telling time, etc, (showing a bit of what they've learned through the year by class), then PK3 & PK4 sing songs with the music teacher while K goes to another room to put on caps & gowns. Then K enters, are seated & all watch slide show of each K student as infant, toddler, PK age then each in their cap & gown, also the teacher includes pictures of herself & her aide, ending in a child's cap & gown. After this K goes to the stage, sings a few songs, receives diplomas, then a short reception follows for all. A lot of work!! The parents love it. We have not always done the slide show, this K teacher has the knowledge & means to do it and has fun with it, soooo. One year PK4 did the story "Caps For Sale", with one child "reading" the story, one the peddler, the others the monkeys, each with their own cap. That was a big hit so we are rethinking for next year. I would like to see us get back to it being for and about the children and something they really want to do. Then, it's not just a "performance".
    FYI Our parents purchase the caps & gowns.