canvas grocery bags

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Elcsmith, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Jan 15, 2008

Everytime I go grocery shopping I feel guilty about the plastic bags. Then I go on a hunt for canvas bags and they're sooooo expensive. Has anyone found inexpensive canvas bags BIG ENOUGH to use for grocerys? Does anyone else feel guilty!?!?!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2008

Albertson's usually sells the regular sized ones for $1 apiece. I think any major grocery chain like Safeway would run sales like that.

I like to save all the totes I get at teacher conferences. They're often a pretty decent size. If you have friends in the medical field, ask them to grab some totes from the drug reps who always stop by to give drug talks.

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jan 16, 2008

The major grocery stores in my area sell them right in their stores. Ask at the courtesy counter at your local grocery stores to see if they have them.

If not may the dollar store has something...

5. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 16, 2008

All of our grocery stores carry the totes-they're not canvas, but are very sturdy and can hold alot. I bought a few generic ones-no store name, but just an environmental theme. That way I use them in any store without feeling weird about using my Albertson's bag in Publix. I can't use them when we do our weekly shopping-we just but too much, but keep a couple in the car when I stop during the week. Here they are cheap-usually only $1.00 or $2.00 for a big one.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 16, 2008

WalMart has canvas bags for sale. I have so many from conferences, though, that I just use them. (Or Enviro Ed Symposium has given the same bag for 7 years. I, somehow, have 9 of them.)

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2008

Publix has them for a dollar and I have 3 now. SOmetimes I remember to take them in to use.....:blush:

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 16, 2008

The Whole Foods near my house has several designs for a dollar each. They're not canvas, but rather made of recycled soda bottles or whatever, and are very strong.

9. teach08

teach08 Rookie

Jan 16, 2008

ikea

You can buy those big bags from IKEA which work great for groceries or pretty much anything you need to carry

I love them!!

10. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 16, 2008

My dad was a PA and mom was a teacher so we ALWAYS had free canvas bags hanging around but I was SO embarrassed when my mom would bust them out. Now I wish I had them because I so bad about the plastic! I hear that China is out-lawing them or something?

Hit up the sales at Old Navy or TJ Maxx, especially after summer time when they're trying to get rid of their stuff.

11. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Jan 16, 2008

I was going to suggest the same thing as some other posters. Use the canvas bags you get at conferences and such. I just got two new ones on Monday when we had some textbook reps come in and try to get our district to buy their textbooks. Each of the companies gave each of us one bag each!

12. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 16, 2008

The problem with the bags you get at conferences is that they usually are not 'flat' bottomed, so not as many groceries fit in them. The one you buy at the grocery store open out to a square shape so you can put alot in them.

13. Sensei

Sensei Rookie

Jan 16, 2008

The best bags I've ever used are the ones from Trader Joe's. They have several varieties of plastic type bags that are very sturdy and last for many years. They also have good quality canvas bags. I think they are about $2-3 each.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2008

I just took out my collection of 1000 tote bags I collected as a teacher. They work ok for most stuff. I also bought a a few of the ones for $1 at Acme when they were on sale, and the $1 went to Breast Cancer something. They have the flat bottom.

My problem is I am usually about halfway done shopping when I remember that they are still in the car. Grrr.

They do make carrying in groceries A LOT easier though.

15. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jan 19, 2008

Especially when you are walking up 4 flights of stairs to your apartment :lol:!!!

16. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2008

I found some I loved at Kohl's today, but they were $22 each!!

Uh uh, no way I'm spending that much!!!

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2008

I find that the ones from the grocery store hold a lot!! I can usually fit all of my food inside 2 of the bags....

I put my list inside the bag so that I can remember to bring the bags inside the store!

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 20, 2008

Has anyone had a store employee give them a hard time about bringing the bags in the store or pulling them out when it is time to load the bags?

I took a bag into a major chain store with me one day and was practically accused of shoplifting!

19. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 20, 2008

I hate this! I do this all the time too!

20. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 20, 2008

I LOVE my bags that I bought at my local grocery store. I bought 6 @ .99 each. They have a hard plastic insert for the bottom of the bag to keep it open. They also have pockets on the outside for gum cards, etc. The best part is they have a special slit on them to hook them to the bag carousel. I get the bags ready while I wait in line and then I hook them to the carousel for the cashier.