Can't Please Everyone

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Jun 3, 2015.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2015

We found out yesterday that we are dramatically increasing the technology in our school next year. We currently have 5 laptop carts, each with 15 laptops, shared between about 500 students (our K classes have their own tech). In September, that will be increased so that we'll have one cart between every two classrooms! I'm so excited, but some teachers are, unfortunately, finding things to complain about. We'll have to change the way we do things--we can currently sign out 2 carts so that we have enough laptops for each of our students--but, for me, the benefits far outweigh the small tweaks I'll need to make.

Is it the end of June yet?

3. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 3, 2015

I feel your pain. We went through the huge technology leap a couple of years ago. There are plusses and minuses, and yes, we have had to change the way we do some things. In the long run, though, I feel there are more positives than negatives. It all depends on the training and support given to the teachers. We had many who were resistant until we were given ample opportunities to learn about what is out there. We also have an awesome ITRT department and our school is blessed with the best from that department. Currently each class has one cart, but we have to borrow or rotate in order to have enough for a class. There are additional carts available for sign-out. It has worked out well - a little tight at the end of the year when state testing kicks in and all the computers are being shared out over different grades. All in all, though, it is a great tool to have.

That said, do we really need computers in order to teach? Will kids in schools without extensive technology fail in life? I feel the answer is No! to both questions.

June is here!:thumb: The end is in sight. Have a great summer!

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 3, 2015

That sounds like a great opportunity! i went to a training yesterday and the lady giving it nailed it in my mind. You have three groups of teachers at each school: the ones always willing to try something new, the ones who wait to make sure it works first before jumping on board, and the Eeyores - the ones who are never happy with anything. So true!

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 3, 2015

Gosh, I love this. Thanks for sharing, Christy!!! :hugs:

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2015

I can't believe how many people are complaining about going to 1:1 iPads for next year. Having taught in poor schools with zero tech, I am happy to be given the tools I need! But I can also see the POV of teachers who are used to doing things "their" way and who are uncomfortable with having to change. I think the key is to go slowly, take baby steps in your comfort range, and for the district to provide good, solid training.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 3, 2015

I instantly thought of a few Eeyores at my school, including one in my grade level. :rolleyes:

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2015

Love the analogy, Christy--Eeyores for sure!

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2015

Agree