Can't Pass The Math Section of CBEST

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by spitfire, Dec 31, 2009.

1. spitfire

spitfire Rookie

Dec 31, 2009

Hi,

I am new to this board. I am having problems passing the math section of the CBEST, I have taken this section 8 times only to have my score stay in the high 20's. Am I the only person who has been defeated by this test? I am so ready to call it quits.

I graduated with my BA in 07, and I would like to be a Special Ed teacher, focusing on Learning Disability, because I have a learning disability with math.

To make a long story short I grew up in the 60's with Modern Math, when the U.S. & Russia where facing off with the Cold War and trying to see who could go the moon first. I am also the product of the California public school education from K-8, then a Catholic Girls High school.

I went to a tutoring center, had a math tutor who is a 7th grade math teacher & just recently went to Ann Litvin for help, but I don't know if I will be returning to her.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Dec 31, 2009

Only thing I can recommend is that you get a prep book and try to follow what it says. Lots of practice tests in there that should help. I don't think you need broad help, you just need focused help that will get you through the test. Has your learning disability been documented? Is it something that can earn you an accommodation on the test (additional time, etc)? Might be worth exploring, maybe the time pressure is a problem? Otherwise just try to get comfortable with the types of questions they ask...sorry can't think of what else to suggest...you just have to pass it! Good luck!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2009

The left side of the score report gives diagnostic indicators for the different areas tested by CBEST. What are you seeing on yours, spitfire?

If you got accommodation for your learning disability at school, chances are you can also obtain alternative testing for CBEST. You could ask for a room by yourself or extra time beyond the standard four hours; I've even heard of a test taker who got to use a calculator. Forms are on the CBEST Web site.

Are you then taking CSET-MS, or what?

5. tia2010

tia2010 New Member

Jan 1, 2010

I took the cbest a few months ago and found the Kaplan's cbest test prep very helpful. It can be checked out at the public library. Good luck spitfire.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

Have you considered a private tutor? A good tutor will not only be familiar with the material on the test, but will be able to figure out where, exactly, you're failing to understand the material. Maybe there's some fundemental concept that you have only a partial grasp of, and your attempts to generalize from there are leading you astray. A good tutor will also be able to form specific analogies based on your life experiences to make the concepts real to you. Considering how many times you've taken this test, it might be worth the expense.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

From what I see, spitfire reports having gone to a tutoring center, having been tutored by a math teacher, and having gone to one Ann Litvin.

I don't know whether any of these is well-versed in current versions of CBEST, which could make some difference, or - much more to the point - whether any is well-versed in dealing with people with math learning disabilities.

spitfire, did you graduate from a CSU?

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

I'm sorry, I meant a tutor that specializes in teaching the "hard to teach"; somebody who will spend time talking about the student's past experiences in math and figuring out not only what went wrong, but how to go back and fix it, then build from it.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 1, 2010

That is indeed quite another matter, mm.

spitfire, are you young enough to have had to go through CAHSEE?