Can't help but laugh at this one

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms_C, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

This article makes me happy that I work with students in lower SES brackets. I have never had to worry that a parent gets upset that their "5-year-old son was relegated to the role of ‘door-holder’ and ordered to hold the door for all of the other students.” In the world I live in it is called courtesy and being a good helper.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...tm_source=OutbrainArticlepages&obref=obinsite

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 2, 2013

Oh gosh. And people wonder why students feel entitled.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 2, 2013

Wow.

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

I know kids that fight to be door holder. Funny stuff.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

I had to google this, because I thought at first it had to be an article from The Onion.

Unbelievable.

7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 2, 2013

Well, those people truly were from a different world. $50,000 for a finger painting? They pay $60,000 for a chauffeur to take their kids to school. Tuition was $40,000.

Even if I had that much money, my kids certainly wouldn't be spending for 100k each year to go to elementary school. Nuts.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 2, 2013

LOL

That's similar to the type of stuff I deal with at my independent school (which is only about maybe 30 miles away from this school).

At the same time, compared to my student teaching experience (a lower-income school where education wasn't really valued by a lot of the students) I don't have students cursing at me, I don't have students showing up high on drugs after lunch, and I have the ability to do a lot of different type of activities than what I was able to do in that setting.

Parents who have the money will choose to spend it in ways that most people would find a waste - yes my school charges $15k for K (down from $23k) but I'm sure they're being taught way more than finger painting, as this article suggested.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

I don't think the article suggested that they are only teaching finger painting. The article was about the finger painting from the fundraiser not what the children were learning in school.

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

If what happened is all true, then sure, they shouldn't have to pay the $50,000. But why sue the school for such an exorbitant amount of money when you're already so wealthy? It's ridiculous.

11. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

What is it with "posh" people and kids' names? Picture caption: "Michelle and Jon Heinemann (top, with son Hudson Cornelius and daughter Hyacinth Cornelia) say Hudson’s Cathedral School of St. John the Divine rigged her “winning” $50,000 bid for schoolkid art." Poor kids...they might end up with some interesting nicknames.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

Hudson is becoming quite a popular name. It was in the top 100 names of 2012.

13. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 2, 2013

Hmm, you're right. It's #81 on this list.

I was also thinking of the 1-year-old son of a wealthy family that my friend recently babysat for. His name is Theodore. Right now, he's Teddy, and maybe he will graduate to Theo or Ted eventually, but it makes me chuckle to think of a baby with such a prestigious name.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2013

My kids were cleaning up at the end of the day and one girl had the job of sweeping up. She was struggling valiantly. I asked her if she hadn't ever swept before? She looked at my strangely. Another student's mom was there and she was laughing. She reminded me that the student lived in Palm Beach and had 'help' who did all the chores. (This girl actually grew up wonderfully and eventually went on to attend high school in China for two years.)

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I guess I don't teach in posh schools. My kids fight for chores. Their favorites are door holder and sweeper.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 2, 2013

I went to an elementary school where tuition is on par with upper tier private universities and Ivy League schools. The middle and high school divisions cost even more. Not all wealthy parents are out of touch with reality, but I do have to say that most of my friends lived a far different lifestyle than I did. My parents are self-made and brought us up accordingly.

The people in the article, and people like them, just defy my ability to understand.

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 2, 2013

The way I understand the story, the school got one of the teachers to bid up the painting so it sold for 50k when it should have sold for 3k. I can certainly see why the parents are upset. They paid 47k more for a painting than they should have because the school rigged the bidding.

I first saw this story today on Yahoo and the comments can basically be summed up to say "They got what they deserved for being rich and throwing around their money." While I understand in today's economy a resentment towards the 1%, I don't think it's always fair and I think the parents are justified if what they said happened actually did happen.

18. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

Wouldn't the parents have given a limit for how high their bid went? I personally wouldn't have left my maximum bid uncapped.

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

It sounds like they did. $3000.

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

Those parents live in their own little bubble.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

I can understand being upset about the painting thing, especially if they ignored their maximum bid or 'falsely' raised the price.

But the comment about him being reduced to role of door-holder is absolutely ridiculous...

22. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2013

I read the article yesterday and thought the same thing!

23. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 2, 2013

Sorry, I read the same story by a different author. That article made no mention of a maximum bid.

24. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 2, 2013

They had a proxy who was supposed to be the high bid and apparently they told or assumed the proxy would stop at 3000 but then the bid was ran up deliberately.

I get that they have the right to be upset but lord love a duck they lose me at the relegated to holding the doors for other thing. Especially since door holder, leader and caboose were the best things to be when I was in elementary school.

25. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

My kids fight to be door holders and then usually lose the 'privilege' because they've punched someone for the job. :)

I worked in a daycare a few years ago and a parent was quite upset to see their 2-year-old happily sweeping the floor with a little broom and dustpan. We said the child volunteered and was actually playing - it was part of the dramatic play centre - and the parent replied that the child was not expected to do those things at home.

26. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 3, 2013

I had my students help tidy up after lunch (small school...we ate in our classrooms each day) and students rotated chores. One little boy told me he didn't want to sweep or wipe tables because he was a boy and that was girl work. :lol: Let's just say he learned to sweep, and wipe tables, during his year with me! Seeing as how he had 5 siblings, I hope he uses those new skills at home to help his mama!

27. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 4, 2013

Yes, I lol'ed as well!

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2013

I think it would take a pretty crappy person within the school to a) plan this, or b) if this was just an honest mistake, for the school rep to not understand these parents' placeholder at the auction went over their max bid and just accept the $3,000 which was much more than the pieces typically bring.

Just a very strange story.

29. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2013

Yeah it really doesn't even seem plausible to me. But if it is completely true then I'd seriously question the judgement of all involved!