Can't handle it anymore!!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by myKroom, Oct 17, 2008.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 17, 2008

My kids are driving me CRAZY!!! I'm honestly ready to quit! I'm in my 3rd year teaching K and I have yet to have a good year. This class has the most potential to be a wonderful group...but they just won't listen and they won't stop touching one another! I had a substitute the last three days and she put it best:

"I have never seen middle school behaviors from a group of 5 year olds!"

As a group they are blantantly defiant, refuse to listen, back talk, and TOUCH ALL THE TIME!!!!!! I'm not just talking touching that you can ignore...I'm talking snakebites, pinching, choking, etc. during group time! They are so IMPULSIVE! They what to do what they want...when they want! I have gone over rules until I'm blue in the face, they can recite them and tell me exactly what they are doing wrong. We have talked about ways to change our behaviors, modeled, done behavior charts, incentives, owing time at recess (which I hate doing)...they just don't care! I have changed some of my own style to see if they helps...and nothing!

I consider myself an average teacher...I'm still working out the kinks in my classroom and my teaching style. I am a very structured teacher. We spend lots of time on rules and procedures. I give thourogh directions and answer questions when needed. I also came from a family where we were taught to respect adults, especially our teachers. Kids are missing this component now...and I can't stand it!

It's hard because I see the potential for an amazing group of kids! They have days that are out of this world where they listen and obey and follow rules...but these days are few and far between! It's all I have to hold on to right now...and that is getting hard! :( I don't want to finish this year...but I have to!

If anyone has any ideas how to get my kids to behave and help me survive the year...please feel free to share! Thanks!

3. reverie

reverie Companion

Oct 17, 2008

Was K your number one choice? Maybe consider teaching another grade level next year. Also, I'm sure people will suggest Power Teaching because so many people have found success in it. How many are in your class? Do you have assigned seating during group time? I know lots of K and 1st grade classes have "learning rows" when they sit on the carpet and the teacher can place them according to their behavior needs.

4. reverie

reverie Companion

Oct 17, 2008

Also, it may help to get the parents involved. Document the specific behaviors and then hopefully the parents will be supportive and willing to help reduce those behaviors.

5. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

I think you should try a new grade.....mix it up a bit...a change would be best for your sanity!

6. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

It can be so frustrating and I agree.....the rude remarks are amazing from such young ones. I can't believe the attitudes sometimes and they seem to think they run the show.

But, I still want to stay away from anything negative because I am the champion of positive reinforcement. Call me a Pollyanna, but I still think it works. I think. :)

The most important thing. Most important....the teacher needs to stay CALM and CONTROLLED. Once I feel myself getting edgy, things deteriorate rapidly with the kids. They sense my tension and then go in for the kill. (am I speaking about 5 year olds here? LOL) Even if sweat is pouring off my forehead, I try to appear soft-spoken and relaxed.

Almost as important is to remain consistent with the rules and rewards. I have been bad this week with putting up smiley faces on the board and then offering a fun game for ___ smilies. Hmmmm. No more smilies on the board. It's boring.
    I think I will get a glass jar, some marbles, and use that method. I can keep marbles in my pockets all day. They also make a nice sound when they drop in that the kids might like.

Parents won't be much help. You can tell them what's happening in class, but there's nothing they can do really. The kids don't remember mom's warnings when they get to school. It's all up to the teacher, I'm afraid.

Getting parents in the classroom might be helpful, but I'd rather try to fix it myself. Power Teaching techiniques are great, but I need a better list of ways to say "Class, Yes". They do respond well to it, though, so check it out. Just google Power Teaching and you'll find a couple of videos and a website. Best of luck!

7. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 17, 2008

Kindergarten was my first choice job!! I love the age and the things we do. However, I am 99.9% sure that I am going to try a new grade next year if possible. I'm thinking that my teaching style would be better with 2nd or 3rd graders. I just have to get through this year first!

As for parents...I'm in one of those towns where parents really could care less and the kids run the show!

I have 10 boys and 7 girls. I do have assigned seating both at group and at tables. I have changed it up to get the trouble kids away from one another and this has helped some! But now some of my touchy ones are starting to prey on the kids who are well behaved!!! I just have to find a way to nip it...but I'm not sure how!

I'll have to look up the power teaching stuff...thanks so far!!

8. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

I would firstly love to have a little class like that, Oh my goodness. I have 23 all together and would love to have less girls. lol What behavior/discipline do you have in your classroom??? Maybe when not following directions they would have a consequence or when they don't keep their hands to themselves. Not good :( When we are walking in the hallways I expect my students to keep their hands to themselves - if they forget how to i ask them to put their hands behind their back or go to the end of the line) Most of them don't like to be last or go to specials or lunch last. It's also hard when you don't have parents on the same discipline level as you. Hope you get some great ideas.

9. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

i seriosuly could have written this post. except add into that a child who has tantrums because he is angry about being in kindergarten again and one who is an english language learner and doesnt not listen to any directions. im at my wits end! sorry i have no advice to offer though =(

10. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 18, 2008

jennstarr,
    Sometimes it's just nice to know that you're not alone!!

I do have as strict of rules and consequences as I can with Kindergarteners. The only positive things about this year is that we have a new principal and she is 100% supportive of anything we do in our classrooms!! In fact...yesterday I asked her what I should do with one of my major behavior kids and she looked at me with the straightest face and said, "Get some duct tape!" We both started laughing hysterically. After that she gave me some actually practical things that I could do with him and she said I had her support to do them! She doesn't mess around and dance around the issues like my former principal! If he were still here...I probably would have quit already! It got to the point last year where I wouldn't even send my kids to him because he didn't do anything!

11. kinderny

kinderny New Member

Oct 20, 2008

Hang in there!

My Kindergartners could not function without their "row spots" when we learn on the rug. It has made such a huge difference in their behavior. Do you have a behavior plan set up? We use the 5 card system (green great, blue turn it around, yellow, orange, red) once a child is off green they lose their classroom job, lose a portion of choice time, and whatever consequence works for that child. I also use the voice levels red dot zero noise, yellow dot whisper voices, green dot inside voices this really helps me and the kids respond well to it. I also notice what kinds of music I play impacts their mood. Nora Jones works wonders when I want them to work on red dot!

Sorry to hear your having such a horrible time! Everyone has their bad days sorry you have so many, hope this can help!

12. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Oct 20, 2008

I feel your frustration. It is difficult to deal with the kids today who are allowed to watch TV shows no matter what they are. The behavior of the 5-6 year olds reflects the behavior of middle schoolers and high school kids. How many of your students have seen "High School Musical"? And watch the shows like Hannah and all the other middle school aged kids shows? Okay that 's my soapbox rant. One thing, you are the teacher. YOu are the one in charge. Take a breath. I don't like giving out treats to the children as bribes all day. That drives me nuts. I do not reward children for doing what they should except with positive comments and appreciation. It is a hard lesson for the kids to learn because school is structured and as teachers we all have expectations. HOme is different. My first thought was to tell you to put them in their desks in rows. Be very strict/firm. Consistant. No yelling or begging :) for them to listen to you. Don't hand out stickers or treats or anything. They are gonna need to see you are serious. Also, if they continue to touch each other whether inappropriately or not, you may have to have the school counselor or principal or someone who might put some "fear" into them. I know this is "old school" sounding but if you grew up respecting people and things, I did the same thing. Of course, there was no yelling or beating or anything. All it took for me and my sisters was a tone of voice or a look. Or we were grounded. Anyway....I hope you can take a break, take a breath, regroup and go into your classroom with confidence that you are in charge, and let the children know in no uncertain terms. Let them see you as a strong teacher and not one they can get away with stuff because they can see your frustration. This happened to me during my second year teaching kindergarten. I told myself I hated kindergarten. But, once I talked with my friend who is a veteran kinder teacher and wonderful with behavior management, I realized I was part of the "problem" because I let the kids see my frustration. Once I stopped, I realized I had control of my classroom and the children began to change their behavior as well. Now, I feel like I know what I am talking about most of the time. :)
    What is different on the days that they are following directions and being great? Is it a specific day of the week? Is there a special program going on? Is a particular student not in class? I know this sounds cruel. But, it has happened. How are you feeling on those days? Are you really interested in what you are teaching or the lessons you have prepared? Are they paced quickly enough for them? THink about some of these and look around at your room during those times and during the off task times. Document them and see if there is a pattern. Sorry if this is so long if not confusing. Just typing as thoughts come to me. I hope the rest of your week goes more smoothly.

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 21, 2008

I am not much help because I think I must have the same class you do, so you are not alone. I have never had a group that just cannot remember, or chooses not to remember any of our procedures. They seem to not remember alot of stuff. I have children who don't know some of their classmates names and we have been in school for 43 days. I am beginning to think that some children these days just do not know HOW to learn. They can memorize, because most of my children know their alphabet, but they have no clue what to do with it. They tend to talk to me like I am their 5 year old friend and I do not put up with that for one second, but even if I fuss at them, they do it again the next day. It is very frustrating and tiring, but just keep on doing your best and hopefully it will all sink in by the end of the year!;)