Can't get through

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by roll, Aug 23, 2011.

  1. roll

    roll Rookie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 23, 2011

    I had an interview 2wks ago & was offered a job last wk. I had a few questions for them & wanted to confirm a few things - they were supposed to get back to me. Then I thought it over, decided I want the job either way and tried calling back every day after that - they're not picking up the phone! I'm getting calls from other schools, I was supposed to have more interviews this week. I'm out of town so don't want to go in if I don't have to, and I don't want to waste others' time - I know I may want to work in those schools someday, though obviously not now. What to do? I don't want to cancel interviews until my job is confirmed but don't want to leave people hanging. Meanwhile I'm left hanging - they don't use email regularly and I've tried every extension with no response, left a few messages. I know it's end of summer and everyone wants vacation time but I'm frustrated! I have no way of knowing when they'll be in the office.
     
  2.  
  3. Jerseygirlteach

    Jerseygirlteach Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    2

    Aug 23, 2011

    Honestly, I would not turn down interviews from other schools when you don't really know the status of this one. Go in and interview while continuing to try to reach this school. Are you trying the school or the admin office? The school might be closed for a few days but the superintendent's office or HR dept. might be able to help you.

    If you get an offer from the other schools, you can ask them to give you a day or two to make a decision while you continue to try to reach this school. But don't take yourself off the market without knowing definitely that you have a job.
     
  4. BioAngel

    BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    3,644
    Likes Received:
    108

    Aug 23, 2011

    Go on the interviews and be honest with them: you have a job acceptance pending. Or don't: if you really like the school you're interviewing with, keep your mouth shut and don't tell them about the offer (they might not consider you for the job if they think you'll be working else where). I'm only saying this because I'm assuming you haven't yet signed a contract and you're not hearing back from the school.

    Good luck! :)
     
  5. jcar03

    jcar03 Companion

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    Messages:
    134
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 23, 2011

    Continue to go on interviews until you sign a contract.
     
  6. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,956
    Likes Received:
    2,108

    Aug 23, 2011

    It seems as if you left you acceptance somewhat up in the air, but you may still have an offer on the table. Is it possible to drive to the school? At the very least, there should be custodians and maintenance personnel there who could tell you when the office staff will be in.
    In the meantime, don't turn down any interviews.
     
  7. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 23, 2011

    Definitely try to drive out to the school and sit down with the principal.

    Where have you tried calling? Only the school or also HR? Maybe try the district office?
     
  8. roll

    roll Rookie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 23, 2011

    Thanks for all the advice!

    This is a private school and there is literally nobody around. There isn't that big a staff to begin with and I guess everyone decided to take the week off? It's frustrating that they didn't mention anything about being closed, and there's no mention either about it on voicemail.

    I'm 7 hours away now - I went in to interview, then went back home. I had planned to go back in this week but cancelled. I guess I should have gone in ... I would prefer this particular job. I am going to do my best to get through tomorrow but if necessary I guess I will drive in Thursday. It's frustrating because I had hoped I could avoid the extra trip and just move a few days before school (they start after Labor Day).

    Really hoping I get through to them tomorrow.
     
  9. roll

    roll Rookie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 23, 2011

    Same thing with the private school - I don't have in state cert or license so I have been applying to all the private schools. I like that they're smaller and more homey but they're also a pain. Getting the interviews set up is another process - they were tentatively scheduled. I don't know, I'll just be happy when I'm finally safely working somewhere.
     
  10. Ms. I

    Ms. I Maven

    Joined:
    May 13, 2004
    Messages:
    5,847
    Likes Received:
    150

    Aug 24, 2011

    I really hope you can reach someone there, but it does sound like they all took a week off, which they neglected to tell you. :mad: In the meantime, go on other interviews...it's not your fault if the the dist left you hanging & so they can't blame you if you took another job elsewhere. Kind of like the situation I'm in.
     
  11. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Aug 24, 2011

    In my local district, administration returned to work Monday. At my own (private) school, staff vacations ended Monday as well. So keep trying; someone should be answering.

    At the risk of sounding like a mom, please make sure you're dialing the right number.

    But I agree-- it looks as though you left it a bit up in the air. I wouldn't turn down any interviews unless and until you were sure the job was still yours.

    Good luck!
     
  12. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,956
    Likes Received:
    2,108

    Aug 24, 2011

    OP...what reason did you offer for canceling your trip to the school? Are they under the impression that you don't want the job?

    You didn't sign a contract and it seems the school may not be expecting you. You left them hanging, not the other way around. Keep trying to get in touch and definitely be looking elsewhere since this job may not pan out.
     
  13. roll

    roll Rookie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 24, 2011

    I finally got through! I didn't ask too many questions because as it turns out they're not starting until the second week in Sept. They said something about construction. At any rate they had assumed I was taking the job. I'm glad I didn't do another interview because I know those schools talk and that may not have turned out well.

    So confusing - I'm glad I'm done with the job search though.
     
  14. Peachyness

    Peachyness Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2006
    Messages:
    6,181
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 24, 2011

    Have you signed the contract yet? I always worry about whether I really have the job or not until I actually sign that piece of paper. But, congrats for getting a job!!!
     
  15. BioAngel

    BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    3,644
    Likes Received:
    108

    Aug 24, 2011

    You're not done with the job search until you sign the contract. Find a time to get to the school SOON and make sure you sign it! :)
     
  16. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,956
    Likes Received:
    2,108

    Aug 24, 2011

    Good for you, roll! Now get down there, sign the contract, get started on your room and find a place to live!:D
     
  17. elateacher4life

    elateacher4life Cohort

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Messages:
    687
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 24, 2011

    Until you sign a contract, keep going on interviews.
     
  18. roll

    roll Rookie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 24, 2011

    My aunt said the same thing about the contract. I thought she was being pessimistic about it but I guess not. They said the director would call so I will ask her. Hopefully she calls today.

    I actually will be working with a mentor the first half of the year, she will be the teacher and I'll be her assistant. The plan is for me to take over in middle of the year. I am really happy about this because it's a different environment from what I am used to and I just wasn't comfortable going straight to teaching. Really hoping it all works out though.

    Since I will not be the teacher to start I don't know how much I need to do. Obviously I want to be somewhat involved - I will ask the director that too.

    Still don't have a place to live - I had planned to move in with a friend to start but it's a commute from her place and I've been told it's a bad idea. I feel another headache coming on.
     
  19. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Aug 24, 2011

    Think of it as an adventure!!!!

    Hit the internet tonight and start scouting out apartments.
     
  20. roll

    roll Rookie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 24, 2011

    Thanks. :) I know, it really is an adventure - I have a cautious personality and get nervous about big changes but I'm working to take that attitude instead. I can't afford my own place so I'm looking to either share an apartment or board, both involve a lot of networking but it's easier than I thought. I'm going to make some more calls tomorrow.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. waterfall,
  2. Ima Teacher,
  3. sevenplus,
  4. Dare2Teach,
  5. Backroads
Total: 446 (members: 7, guests: 413, robots: 26)
test