Can't get a job!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sweetpea86, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Sweetpea86

Sweetpea86 Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

I graduated from college in May '09 and I applied to 60+ jobs as a Teacher, Teaching Assistant, or Substitute Teacher...out of the all the jobs I applied for..I only got 3 interviews.

Out of the 3 interviews, none offered me a job. I'm starting to get fed up and looking in other directions for a job. I've also started to look for hourly jobs as a waitress because I have student loans to pay.

Are there others in the same boat as I am? Or am I the only one that couldn't find a job....

3. nikkiJ

nikkiJ Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

No, I'm absolutely in the same boat! I'm really considering just finding any full time job I can get my hands on and going with it. I have bills, bills, bills and don't know if I can rely on waiting for a teaching job anymore. It is SUPER frusterating, especially when everyone I know who was looking for a teaching job has been hired except for me. Good luck and I hope something comes up for both of us :)

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2009

I'm in the same boat as well. It was already hard to get a teaching job in my area before the recession and now it is even harder. If you need a full time job to pay the bills you should try to get one and find some other ways to stay involved with education (like tutoring or volunteering with after school activities). I would try to get on any sub lists in the meantime (which I know can take awhile and in some districts it is hard to get on sub lists) if you can afford to sub for a year or if it takes awhile to find a full time job. Good luck with everything I am currently subbing (on the list in one district and have an interview for another on Wednesday), working at a part-time job and looking for full-time opportunities in different fields. However, I'm lucky in the fact that I have a good amount of savings and live with my parents for a small amount of room and board each week which has made it so getting a full time isn't urgent and is allowing me to try to find something that I can enjoy. Good luck with everything!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2009

You aren't alone!

6. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

I'm in the Chicago area, too... and I've literally sent out HUNDREDS of resumes and filled out tons of applications. I got several interviews, but no job. I finally was offered a job at a day care, which is not what I want at all, but at least it's a paycheck for now.

7. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 21, 2009

Same here in California... I sub for three districts to make ends meet. Make business cards. I made some this year with magnets. I ordered from Vista Print. They quoted me one price and I mentioned that I am a poor teacher, then they gave me a better price. Check it out! I've tried applying back into business, since I changed careers. No one is hiring:+(

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 21, 2009

You are not the only one! I graduated in 07 and don't have a job yet. I don't even know how many jobs I've applied for.

9. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 21, 2009

I was in the Chicago area several years ago when I graduated (and where my family lived). I tried to get a job up there, and sent over 50 resumes out. I got 2 interviews, and no job.

I then switched to applying statewide, and got a job down in west-central Illinois. If you're willing to re-locate, you'll have a much better chance of landing a position. Once I started applying statewide, to rural schools, I had a job in a matter of a few months. I started teaching the August after I graduated.... just not in the location I had originally hoped for.

10. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Sep 24, 2009

I'm in the same rickety boat. I graduated in December of '08 and have sent out resumes to hundreds of schools and districts as well. Besides just who you know (biggest factor in getting a job) I heard subbing works, so hopefully it does. I have only had two interviews and they were for the school I student taught at. The first job I interviewed for went to a relative of one of the vice-principals. The second spot I have not heard anything back from, and I'm really not holding my breath. Now I'm going back from Special Education and I'm hoping that it's the right move. I just debate on sending out hundreds of resumes again now since I'm doing special education, or to just apply as I see them listed or hear about them.

11. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Sep 28, 2009

It is the economy!!!! Not only are there loads of new teachers coming out of school, but there are lots of teachers like me who have been laid off. My district has to go through our rehire list which has 16 names on it before they can hire outside of the district. I think it is going to take at least a year before things get any better. I don't want to make you feel bad.....it is not you it is the situation we find ourselves in. Chin up it will get better!

12. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 28, 2009

vsimpkins- great idea to do magnets! I'll have to remember that if I ever get into subing

13. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 28, 2009

I lost my job at the end of the school year...and haven't found anything except a part time teaching job that is only 7.5 paid hours a week...45 miles away -sigh-
    Nothing nothing nothing...
    I applied to freakin' yankee candle in the mall...and they didn't even call...how sad is that?!

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2010

CA Teachers

I feel like standing outside the teacher credential classes (here in California) and saying, "Let me warn you: Those of us who've been teaching for five or so years are fighting to keep our jobs. Finish your credential, but don't let your heart get set on finding a job anytime soon!"

Actually, I'd never do anything like that, but it's the truth. I have friends who have been "temps" for the past few years and have already been told that they have no chance of being rehired next year as a temp...even after being with the district for three or four years. Sad, isn't it?

It's just so unfortunate, especially for those who have dedicated their lives to becoming educators.

I am so grateful that I am tenured. Even though I probably won't be at my same school and/or same grade level next school year, I am thankful that I will have a job.

My heart goes out to all the laid off teachers!!! :sorry:

15. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Mar 9, 2010

Keep the faith alive! There are many of us in the exact same boat as you.

I got my credentials in 07. and have started both years unemployed, only subbing. Last year, a 2 week sub gig evolved into a full time position. Completely unexpected on my part. And though this year it looks like I'm going to keep subbinf for the year, a opportunity just presented itself for the remaining 3 months. I did not get hired, but again, it was unexpected and at the very least reassured me that there are jobs that open up from time to time....you just need to be there (and know the right people) to get your foot in the door.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2010

Yes, it's all about knowing the right people. That's how I got hired back in '05!!!

Keep subbing and try to make a good impression at each school you're at. I liked one of my subs and got her a long term position at my school for a teacher who went out on maternity leave.

Yes, I will keep the faith alive!

17. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 9, 2010

Unfortunately, next year looks very bad for subs. Teachers that are getting laid off will be on their sub list as top priority and subs will not be called.

18. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Mar 10, 2010

Definately not alone. I graduated in May 08 and applied for well over 100 jobs. I have gotten a handful of interviews and am doing a multi-state wide search. I find myself going in waves. Some days I am full steam ahead and some days I just want to hang it up, it feels like it will never happen. I just keep reminding myself what else is out there and I know teaching is my passion. Wherever I get hired I am going to not take it for granted, I know that for sure!!!
    Hopefully you find comfort in knowing you are far from alone in this search!

19. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Mar 10, 2010

I'm in the same situation that you are in. :sorry:

I've been applying to HS math positions, staff positions at community colleges, and bank positions.

It took a while to even get an interview.

For the 2009 school year I actually got a few interviews and I was confident that I would get one of them......I was wrong. :mellow:

20. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

It's not you it's the economy. Even those of us in Special Ed are nervous about keeping our jobs.

21. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Mar 12, 2010

I am in the same boat too. I graduated in Dec 2007. My first year I applied for about 90-100 jobs. I got 2 interview. I DID get hired for job I interviewed for 2nd. It was probably abour the 80th application I'd submitted. It was a one year contract so I've been back on the hunt.

Last year I applied for about (at least) 50 positions. 1 interview. No job.

This year...I don't know...I'm nervous.

22. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Mar 12, 2010

I am in the same boat. I graduated from my Master's Program in 2008 and I partly blame some bad advice I got from the people in charge of student teaching. One of them told me it doesn't really matter what grade you teach in, so I just picked 3rd, since it was in the middle, even though I kind of knew I wanted K-2. WRONG decision. If you want to teach K-1, you HAVE to student teach in K-1. Almost all of the jobs that have come up the past 2 years have been kindergarten (harder to predict enrollment). I was also told by my field supervisor that I should say something about not being paid for the subbing I did as a student teacher. I think that resulted in my not being hired where I student taught.
    I did end up getting a job from January-June last year teaching math support with 3-5th graders, but I decided not to interview for a 4th or 5th grade position at the same school this year in favor of a maternity leave in 1st grade. I REALLY want to teach primary students, and this might have been my only chance to get experience with them. However, the maternity leave is over now and I'm subbing again, which is really stressful because I hate not knowing where I'm going until that morning, or if I even have a job that day.
    Wow, that turned into more of a vent than I had expected. Thanks for listening!

23. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 3, 2010

I'm in the same boat too! I graduated in 2006 and in my first year I was on contract at a school for two terms an hour away from where I live and then I had two more contracts at schools 30mins away. That was my most worked year. Since then I've had small contracts and mainly relied on supply work. But last year I barely managed to get any supply work. Things just seem to be getting worse.

Here we have a lot of new graduates (my local uni just recorded last number of first year Education students), teachers who are already out (like myself; out of my graduating class there is only person with a permanent job) and retired teachers being forced back into the work force because they can no longer afford to be retired. Here in QLD there are just way too many qualified teachers but not enough teaching positions.

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Apr 3, 2010

FC - Next time interview for ANY job K-5. You can do the job for one year and then move down. when you prove yourself in your school, admin figures out that you can do anything that you set your mind to do. Having a contract in any grade is the key. All the best and I hope that you find something this year!

25. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Apr 3, 2010

Same here. Graduated in 08 and am still looking! I am willing to take ANY full time job at this point! I have had a grand total of 1 interview and haven't heard back yet.

I am hopeful this year though!!

26. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Apr 4, 2010

I feel for you guys. If you're able to relocate, try checking out Nebraska. There was a thread a while back on the plethora of teaching jobs in that state.

27. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Apr 4, 2010

I definitely understand the frustration!! It took me 3 years to find my job. I had to relocate.

Good luck to you!!

28. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Apr 5, 2010

It sounds the same all over. The complaint here is that universities are accepting too many education graduates that there are just not enough jobs once they graduate. One friend told me that of 2200 education graduates in Queensland last year, only 10% got jobs. People should look at the job market BEFORE they start their studies and when supply and demand change, then make a lifestyle change. What this means, is that those teachers with a job don't make waves and employers can make unreasonable demands when there are 9 people waiting to take your job.

Keep trying, keep trying.

29. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 5, 2010

letsteach, I couldn't agree more! You see each year so many people entering their first year of uni to study to be a teacher and I just wish I could warn them of the realities. Universities are not going to tell them not to study it, that would mean a loss in business for them.

This is one of the many articles that was written at the start of the year discussing this problem http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...aching-graduates/story-e6freoof-1225823727433 and this site shows the real facts of teaching in Queensland http://www.theteachersareblowingtheirwhistles.com/thecontractwork.htm It's scary when you see the actual figures :(

30. eri444

eri444 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010

I'll be finishing my program in May. So far I've sent out 27 resumes, approximately 12 is from principals that I know (from either myself or family friends) and the rest are from job postings. So far, no calls! (Math 7-12 certified)

31. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Apr 5, 2010

Perhaps the other posters should know that with Eduction Queensland, you are told to apply and then, 'Please don't call us, we'll call you". So unlike our American counterparts who can make hundreds of applications, for state employment, it is only one application and then apply to each private school. (It does not stop you cold calling on schools with an application).

Whilst at uni, the Personnel guy came from EdQ and gave everybody the speil about how to apply. One question he was asked was, "How many job vacancies are there each year?". He could not answer that question. Not surprisng considering he was in a lecture theatre of 400 graduates at one university alone!

32. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 6, 2010

We had the same thing (EdQld person come to uni in final year) and told us all how wonderful teaching was and the 'benefits' a teaching lifestyle brings lol And how to fill out the forms and what to expect in our interview for our ratings. Funny there was no mention of the high amount of unemployed qualified teachers there already were.

During my first year out my regional EdQld person was wonderful and always happy for people to call her or come in and have a chat about things. She found me the jobs I had in my first year and I was never out of contract work. But the person that has replaced her is the total opposite. She refused to return my emails and phone calls until eventually calling me in the morning (taking up time I could have been called by Tracer) only to angrily tell me there is nothing she could do to find me a job (which is funny because the person she replaced job was to find teachers for contract work) and to just keep "waiting your turn". Her wonderful attitue prompted me to contact the head of my local union who gave me a form to fill out (can be found on the website) but said sadly there isn't much hope in finding a permanent job (but at least he was more friendly and helpful than EdQld).

33. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Apr 6, 2010

I find the whole interview and ratings system means that Principals are missing out on great teachers. If you stuff up your interview, you stuff up your chance of getting a job at say one of 1,000 schools because you only get one chance. I had a deputy interview me and I did not think she had great interviewing skills. I had a GPA of 5.8, I worked hard for that, did well on my final prac but the lady at EdQ told me that they don't look at your GPA, just the rating the interviewer gives you. It really is a personality contest sometimes.

Goodluck Miss Snix with your job hunt.

34. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 6, 2010

I graduated in May of '06. I've had only about 10 interviews over the years. One principal had me at the top of the list, (my fourth interview), but warned me he had more interviews and if any were "must hires" I was not going to be hired.

I'm subbing a bit, and have an hourly position as a literacy teacher this year, but likely will not have a job next year. I'm starting grad school because my level one license expires next year, can't get to level two with out three years in the classroom.

35. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Apr 6, 2010

I'm sorry to hear you're losing your position, but you're doing the best thing you can do - going to graduate school. I hope it works out for you!

36. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Apr 6, 2010

Yeah, that is the sad, unfortunate truth. I really wish administration would do more than just interview candidates to filter the brightest candidates. Will they give you another chance next year at the screening?

37. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 6, 2010

I agree the rating system is not the best, that being said I did get an S1 which is the highest and therefore (in theory) should have been the first group to get offered a job (in a perfect world) but after 4 years with no job (don't think my rating is even valid anymore?) clearly there is no point in these ratings. I feel sorry for those uni students who put so much effort in to only get an S2 or S3 and then think because of that they won't get jobs...when in fact you don't get jobs because there aren't any.

Thanks letsteach, it's a long ongoing process that hopefully will bring something good one day :)

38. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 7, 2010

I hope so. I figure when I have to apply for an extension next summer I can demonstrate I'm working to stay "current" even if the curriculum junk that is being shoved at schools doesn't stay current.

I'm paid via Title I funds, but more schools should be getting the funds next year and the funds are not increasing. This means that more schools will have to share the funds next year.

Thank you for your response.