Can't do it anymore..

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by FutureTeacher_1, Apr 2, 2011.

1. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2011

Hi friends!
    I'm currently subbing for some income as I finish my last semester in college. I'm student teaching in september at a school I sub at 95% of the time now.

I've been a very lucky sub since I get to work everyday and I work for the same schools usually as the teachers request me back. For the past 2 months, school X has been requesting me daily. No big deal. I like it there and I usually do a good job with the kids. I'm also student teaching at school X in september with a teacher I LOVE.
    However, some of the staff hasn't been so great to me. The parapro subs that work there seem to think I'm after their jobs. On Friday I almost cried FOUR times:

* The school event coordinator accused me of leaving students unattended. This was not true. I went to get the kids from a special and 3 students had left the special early and went to the room while i was getting the others. Another teacher also reprimanded me for "leaving them." I did not leave them and they did not hear me out.
    * One teacher told me point blank she will never let me sub for her because I'm too popular with the kids. Mind you, she's 70 and hates everyone.
    * School is dismissed at 3:30. The teacher told me to send the kids who have tutoring down at 3:25. I always do this per the instructions left by teachers. The special ed teacher came into my room and snapped at me in front of the remaining kids for letting the tutoring kids leave early. When I explained, she was rude.

I know they'll call for me again, but I don't want to sub there anymore for a WHILE. I can't deal with the politics. No one is in my corner. But I don't want it to affect my student teaching. Help?

3. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Apr 2, 2011

I think that's one of the beautiful things about subbing. You can turn down work.

It's not advisable to turn down work. They seem to like you there -- obviously -- or you would not be getting calls. Just because a couple of people maybe are jealous, or hate you for pointless reasons, don't assume no one is in your corner. If no one was in your corner, you wouldn't be there.

If you need to, take a day or two off because you're 'busy' with school. The year is almost over, don't let a couple bad apples ruin your time.

Perhaps if you're up for it, confront the people that have issues with you. Subtly let the paras know you like them and respect what they do, but you couldn't do it yourself because of x and y. Chat with the old teacher that doesn't like anyone. Go to her for advice, whether you heed it or not. Ask her what she does to maintain her class, ask her what she'd like a sub to do, compliment her, etc. As for the SPED teacher, I think I may have inferred the situation incorrectly. But just apologize (even when you know you aren't wrong) if it's all about people's perceptions of you.

Sometimes you have to go out of your way to kiss people's proverbial rear ends, when you're a student or getting your foot in the door, it's one of those times.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 2, 2011

First of all, welcome to the board. Unfortunately, people know that subs come & go all the time, so they have no loyalty with them. I mean yes, there's always those few teachers who love a certain sub & request them all the time. That's strange that the paras think you're after their jobs when you're studying to be a teacher, so it's not their jobs you're really after. You're just trying to be a teacher that's all.

Yes, I'd indeed take a break from that particular school & not return until you have to for your ST (student teaching). Let things die down there for a while. Do you have to be in any kind of regular contact w/ this 70 yr old teacher? If not, I'd avoid her. Too bad the coordinator & the special ed teacher were rude w/ you. All I can say is be cordial, but definitely not overly friendly if you have to deal w/ them for your ST. And if any of them get really nasty, kindly tell them that you don't know why they're mad at you, but you'll be student teaching for the next __ wks & hopefully you can all try to make the best of it.

Good luck!

5. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2011

Thank you for the replies Ms. I and Pete! Great advice. I'm quickly realizing I'm more of a lower el person than 4th and 5th but honestly, the staff hasn't been very helpful. I can't deal with the nitpicking. I might avoid the school for a while. If my CT needs a sub, I'll def do it for her. Her kids are amazing.

When the subcaller from the school calls me, what do I say?

6. azure

azure Companion

Apr 3, 2011

Tell her you would like to start making contacts in some of the other elementaries, so for a while could they take you off the list for that particular building.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

Do you have other schools where you can and do have regular work? If so, you have that cushion to stay away from the problematic school for a while.

8. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2011

Yes. It's generally pretty easy for me to find work and I live by many schools. I think I'm just going to avoid that school for a while. I love my CT but I can't deal with school politics.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2011

FT1.... It's funny you mentioned the subbing... When I student taught the teacher knew that I was a sub & pretty much just "threw" me in there. Which had it's pros & cons.

I'd say if you can take a break do so, like the others just tell the sub caller you do want to try other schools & learn from other teachers as well.

Good Luck!!!

10. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2011

Hey everyone!

Your advice was SO GREAT! I can't think you enough. I haven't been back to that school, but I've been at other schools and generally have had many good days! I'm excited for Spring and subbing more.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 23, 2011

Great!

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 23, 2011

Sometimes a change of scene, even only temporarily, makes all the difference. I still shudder when I remember one particular school I had to take out of my rotation. The whole district was a rough one, but when the teachers at the middle school started giving me the cold shoulder, I stuck to the high school. The principal missed me, I'm told.

:whistle:

13. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Apr 30, 2011

I have been back at that school one day I am there 4 days next week. My first day back was something else...the kids RAN up to me and were so happy to see me haha. Apparently someone told them I had gotten "fired". Funny huh ;). I will be across the hall from the old teacher but honestly, I'm going to have a great week! Slap that smile on my face and enjoy it.

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

May 17, 2011

I'm glad things are looking up. Subbing is hard. I have done both--been a classroom teacher for 8 years and now doing some subbing as a SAHM. Subbing is by far the harder job, IMO. In terms of teaching on the fly with kids you don't know and interpreting someone else's plans, it's harder. I vow to be even more kind and understanding with the subs I meet and work with when I go back to teaching!

As for the people at the problem school--not all schools are the same, as you found out. Some do have toxic individuals and environments. It's a sad fact, unfortunately...subs will often not return to those schools, and you have every right to avoid them if you are being mistreated. :)

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

May 30, 2011

Subbing is a hard job! I think it's great that you can sub while you're still in school. A break is always good.