Cant decide?!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Quinten78, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Quinten78

Quinten78 New Member

Jul 8, 2017

Hello everyone,
    My name is Quinten and I live in California. I am currently at Fresno State getting my Bachelor's degree in Industrial Technology. I am also thinking of pursuing a teaching credential in a single subject, however, I am not really sure of the process to get there. What I mean is that I am very weary of teaching lower than the high school level, so here is my question: In California when going through the teaching credential program am I going to have to teach at lower levels in order to complete the program?
    Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you,
    Quinten

3. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Jul 8, 2017

No you won't have to teach at the lower levels. While I was in the multiple subject credential program I was rooming with someone who was in the single subject program. He was assigned one high school math teacher to work with the entire year while I spent my first semester at one school in Kindergarten and the second semester in a different school in fourth. I believe as long as you are in the single subject program, and not PE or music, then you won't be placed anywhere younger than 6th grade and that is only if the school separates the subjects off to different teachers in their middle schools.

Quinten78 likes this.
  4. Quinten78

Quinten78 New Member

Jul 8, 2017

Ok, thank you for the reply. That makes me feel a little better.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 9, 2017

I think it depends on your program. A single subject credential also authorizes you to teach middle school, so there's a chance you'd have to student teach at that level. I have a friend who's a secondary math teacher who had two separate placements - middle and high school.

Quinten78 likes this.