can't decide what to do next year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Feb 19, 2006.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Feb 19, 2006

Hi ya'll
    I'm trying to make a decision on where I want to teach next year. Background info: Have M ed in education. Was an aide for three yrs in NH couldn't find teaching job. Moved to VA last yr to teach kinder. Went back to NH last summer to find teaching job. Couldn't find job returned to va to teach 5th grade.

Now: I can't decide what I want to do. My fourth graders I have in reading want me to stay for their 5th grade year. They really are a good bunch of kids. I'm just not that happy in this area. I don't really like city areas. It's really expensive to live in northern VA. I want my own house but can't afford even a condo. I thought about living farther away and commuting but the traffic is horrible and gas is really expensive. The kids keep asking me if I'll be here next year and I'm like if I can find a place to live. What's one more year?

Another part of me wants to go home to NH. I miss my family and friends. The way of life. Knowing where everything is. etc

Then another piece of me wants to go where it is warm. I lived in lake buena vista fl for a college internship. I was happy down there but it was from january to june. My problem is that I was looking at salary and benefits. I wasn't impressed with their health insurance,Cigna. I'm using care first blue cross. The coverage isn't that great but ok. NH was better. Anyone have imput on insurance or what I should do? I can't decide what I want, I know eventually I want to go back to NH because that is where my family is. Thanks! Sarah

3. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Feb 19, 2006

Sound like you really want to be with your family, I'd make that a priority!
    Good Luck

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 19, 2006

I know it is hard to move back home without the prospect of a job. I told my school that I will not return next year because I will be moving back home. Unfortunately, there has been no job posting, so I am thinking that I will be moving back home to work retail or something and sub.

5. laf

laf Rookie

Feb 20, 2006

I would NEVER choose a job b/c of insurance benefits - those can change in a heartbeat. It sounds as though what you want is to go home.....

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 20, 2006

That is true about the insurance. Even when they keep the same company, the deductibles go up or something. It is rough. You have to look at the whole package. Since you've given a few states a try, why not live where you are most comfortable? That counts for a lot.

7. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Feb 22, 2006

Hi! I live in VA and I love it! I don't live in NOVA (northern va), because it is very hectic, fast paced, EXPENSIVE, and people aren't as nice. I live in central VA about an hour south of Charlottesville, in Lynchburg. It's a good sized city, but much slower paced. It's an hour or two to the mountains (about 45 minutes to Wintergreen for skiiing), 3 1/2 to 4 for the beach, and a few hours from DC. Best of all worlds - best of all, cost of living is much, much lower. My husband and I purchased a house for less than half of what it would go for in DC area (I shoudl know, our best friends moved up to DC a year ago and I remember their house hunting)... Anyway, I guess I'm saying, there are other areas in VA that are super nice and not nearly as expensive or hectic as NOVA. Just my two cents about my state... :rolleyes:

8. tinazplace

tinazplace Rookie

Feb 22, 2006

Where to teach next year is always a difficult question.

I know how you feel about Virginia. Northern VA is very expensive and growing more so that way. You might as well go back to New Hampshire or else down to Florida.

I've been teaching for 5 years. I'm currently having a very hard year this year, and I'm very grateful for my parents, who live nearby. If they weren't there to support me (nearby), I don't know how I'd pull through the year. My other loved one, my boyfriend, soon-to-be fiance, is in California, and I can't wait for him to move. Plane tickets are expensive.

Maybe you can take vacations to Florida during the holiday season rather than be away from family? Just a thought.

Good luck, whatever you decide! :)

Christina

9. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Feb 27, 2006

Thanks for all the input. I'm still not sure what to do about next year. I do love the kids and the school but prices in this area are high. I think I'm going to have to ask my principal for a recommendation. What is the best way to do this? I'm still not sure I'll be leaving and don't want to create a bad situation for next year if I end up staying. Insurance is a big factor when looking at jobs for me because I have a pre existing condition. The family thing is inportant but I think I'm really homesick for a slower pace of life. When I was living in fl I wasn't so homesick. I'm thinking I'd like to explore a country living situation that will allow me to afford a house, small tight knit community (with good insurance benefits)warmer weather. Any ideas? Sarah

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 28, 2006

Follow your heart. You never make a wrong decision that way.

11. cwalsh

cwalsh Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

I moved from DC to NY six years ago to be closer to my family and friends. At the time of my move I had no job and the prospects did not look good. Long story short I got a job in late July and I absolutely love where I teach now. It was the best decision I ever made.

12. tinazplace

tinazplace Rookie

Mar 3, 2006

Try looking into the insurance at the district or school where you'd like to apply. Most public schools offer decent insurance. Even some select private schools will have some type of insurance plan. Just call and ask! It can't hurt! That's smart you are looking into these issues now, too. My boyfriend also has a pre-existing health situation, and when we get married, I don't know what my insurance is going to be able to cover for him. In any case, just being around family makes a difference. I'm thankful I live near mine. You need a strong support system in this field, even if you have a good school. It just helps, I have found!

Christina